Win 7 Resored Image, Reboots, Won't Reboot 2nd time

I had to do an image restore due to intermittent printing in Win 7 Ultimate. I used a 2017 back up image. The computer reboots ok. However, after powering off and on, the 2nd time, it won't boot into win 7. I use the repair disc but it eventually says it cannot repair the problem. So I restored again and it boots the 1st time but not the second time.

I upload the update to latest Malware Antimalware Premium.

My question is, could there be an infection that Anti hasn't seen, or is there a special little program to rid of some infection??

Just asking and thank you for your time and efforts..

positron

12 minutes ago, Positron said:

I had to do an image restore due to intermittent printing in Win 7 Ultimate. I used a 2017 back up image.

Not that this any help and I know it is not, Trying to fix the printer issue (with help) would have been a better option than using a system image especially one that old and if the system was working fine otherwise.

Do you have any system images from another date you can try? Also how was the system image made?

Edited by Porthos

• Root Admin

Regardless of who tries to help you we'll need to get some logs while it's still running @Positron

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not that this any help and I know it is not, Trying to fix the printer issue (with help) would have been a better option than using a system image especially one that old and if the system was working fine otherwise.

Do you have any system images from another date you can try? Also how was the system image made?

I have been working on that for weeks, if not months. Something was so corrupted that I used the image backup. The printer worked ok until I 2nd booted win 7, but win 7 would not boot up, so obviously the printer would not work.

cheers and thanks for your input.

pos

• Root Admin

Okay, no promise this will help or not. If it does not work then go ahead and restore the image again to get back online.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

8 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Okay, no promise this will help or not. If it does not work then go ahead and restore the image again to get back online.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txtUnavailable

Thanks

As you can see, it says Fixlist.txt is unavailable, so I cannot download it. What should I do?

Can't save it to desktop. I click on your icon, and I have to use "others" because "desktop" is not listed. Notepad (default) is all that is listed.

After clicking "other",  it says "notepad, microsoft visual studio 2005 etc, internet explorer, windows media center, microsoft office picture manager, windows photo viewer, microsoft ivsual studio version selector windows media player, and windows wordpad appllication.

So I click "browse" and click "desktop". I click "open" and it jumps to "computer".

What should I do?

Ok, ran FRST64 with fixlist.txt and it rebooted to open win 7 ultimate. So I went ahead and shut it down to power off. Powered on and it came to

microsoft and colored "flag" started, then screen went  black again, no cursor, and failed to open windows, just like before.

When I created the different images, the computer was working fine, until the past couple of months when I started having problems printing.

Since I started using backup images, computer fails to open win 7 on 2nd attempt.

Any ideas what it could be, or what to do next?

Again, I appreciate your time and expertise, and understand you are following a process to trim the problem down to its source. I really appreciate that.

pos

I found some new information that might help. I was able to "restart" my computer several times with no problems. However, when I power down the

computer, shut it completely off, then windows 7 ultimate will not open up. The computer starts, I eventually see "microsoft incorporated", the colored

"flag" appears and then the mouse disappears and the screen remains black. Win 7 never opens to the desktop screen.

I have just replaced the 3 volt battery and will see what happens by powering off completely and see what happens.

I hope this helps the "staff" helping me and the public.

Here goes.

12 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Sounds good. Yes, if the CMOS battery is low or bad you'll have an issue but normally it will automatically come up to the BIOS screen asking you to confirm the date and time, etc.

Thanks for your help Staff. I completely shut off, removed power from the computer (including holding the power button) twice now. I restarted and

windows 7 opened up just fine, desktop came up fine.

Interestingly, I measured the battery voltage after I removed it from the board. It measured 3.10 volts, which seems like enough. However, the meter

will present a different load than the actual computer load. The brand new battery measured 3.25 volts. Seems close but the load will be different, thus the voltage. (I am an electronics engineer, but too old for computer classes to be offered in college.)

I hope this string has been helpful to all visitors.

I also wish to express my appreciation to "Advanced Setup Staff" for his time, his patience, and his expertise in logically "walking" through and

honing in on the source of the problem. That is quite an accomplishment since he could not physically be here, know all the programs I have, and possible issues.

Thanks again.

positron

12 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

If you're sure things are working well I would go ahead and make a NEW image (don't delete the old one) of the current state of the computer just in case you need it again for the future.

If there is anything else we can assist you with please let us know

Yes, great idea and will do as soon as possible. Fortunately I have plenty of room on my external HD, will keep the backups.

If I have any more problems, I shall present it for more help, but all seems ok now. Thanks again.

positron

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks