MBARW Beta v 0.9.18.807 - Build 274 interfering with MBAE

I noticed that MBAE is absent from the system tray and then that build 274 of AntiRansomware has been pushed as an update.  Further investigation in Task Manager shows that mbae.exe is suspended. I guess that this is why the MBAE icon is not on display in the system tray.

mbae-svc.exe and mbae64.exe are running.

The issue also causes difficulties with uninstalling and reinstalling MBAE.  The problem vanishes when MBARW build 258 is reinstated.

Can this issue be resolved without user intervention?

Edited by hake

I'm still getting my head straight on this.  It seems to me that I can run the MBAE GUI and interract with it.  I had uninstalled MBARW build 274 then reinstalled MBARW build 258 but build 274 quickly replaces it.  It seems to me that MBARW build 274 is inhibiting the start of MBAE GUI at startup but is probably not interfering with its operation since MBAE event logging is working OK.  I think that MBAE proection is unimpaired (phew!)

I guess therefore that a remedial update of MBARW is required.

Following the fun and games I have had with trying to uninstall then reinstall MBAE to correct the problem before I realised that the cause was MBARW build 274, I would prefer that no updates of MBAE are pushed out until MBARW is fixed.

The 'fun and games' were the MBAE uninstall and install processes freezing.  Since I was initially unaware that the build 274 update to MBARW was running, this caused me some confusion.

BTW, this issue occurs with Windows 7, 8.1 and 10.

Edited by hake

It is because of the potential for problems with uninstalling/installing of MBAE that I expressed a hope that no MBAE updates would be pushed until the issue is fixed.  I am content to leave things alone since MBAE 1.13.1.127 functions even without mbae.exe running.  I have a couple of installations of MBAE/MBARW which require me to travel 90 miles to do the suggested fix and these will not receive attention for the next ten days.

There was no problem with MBARW build 258.  Wouldn't it be better to push out, i.e. revert to, the previous build of MBARW?  MBAE is arguably more important than MBARW.

Edited by hake

If I leave things as they were, will the effectiveness of MBAE be compromised?  The MBAE service is running so I presume that exploits will be caught but not notified, i.e. a process under attack by an exploit will be terminated but no information presented to the user.

Could someone please comment on the effectiveness of MBAE with MBARW build 274 in use.  The mbae.exe process is suspended by MBARW build 274 which seemingly considers it to be ransomware.  MBAE services are still running so will it be the case that if a process is terminated by MBAE that the user will simply not be informed about why a process suddenly vanishes.  What I am asking is will MBAE protection continue until am able to physically get to the PCs that my wife's sisters use to uninstall MBARW build 274 and reinstall MBARW build 258?

I do not have a definitive answer for you, however I seriously doubt it.  Generally speaking, most of Malwarebytes' products rely on all components being present in memory, including their background/tray processes as there are often aspects of a protection that rely on functions within those other processes beyond just the core service and driver in order to do their work and provide their protection.

A member of staff may correct me if this is inaccurate, however were it me, I would immediately do what I could to get both products working fully and properly, or seriously consider installing the full Malwarebytes Premium instead in order to ensure the functionality of all of its protection components/layers.  I may be incorrect on this, but I suspect that much of the reason the standalone betas (perpetual betas as I understand it; i.e. there will likely never again be a 'final' or 'release' build of any of these standalone tools/components) continue to exist is for the purpose of testing, and running them together is likely to produce anomalous results, which is likely why they haven't done more to ensure that the two work together installed and active on the same system as they are very likely to do any proper integration work once each is to be rolled up into the impending Malwarebytes Premium product release, at least that's my take on it.  Again, I defer any concrete answers to any members of staff that may respond here.

Edited by exile360
  • Staff

The protection offered by the program is unaffected. The mbae.exe process that is affected by the issue is responsible for the user interface elements of the program. This is why the option to "Hide icon" exists, which terminates the mbae.exe process when used.

Therefore, exploits will continue to be blocked, but with no notification displayed.