sman

0patch releases micropatch for Internet Explorer vulnerability -- including

I dunno, as an added precaution maybe, like in case of a vulnerability exploited by a worm that might spread from one of his internet connected devices to the offline devices?  You'd have to ask him to be certain though.

Strange. If your network is not secure, than you will land in problems, so having proper protection is a must and if it's taken care off, going offline for a part device doesn't gel.

Edited by sman

I think it's due to the fact that he'll still be connecting over LAN to other devices that will have internet access.  In such scenarios, no matter how careful you are, a worm or similar network based exploit is still a possibility, and even if fully patched with 0patch, using Malwarebytes, a good firewall etc., an infection is still a possibility just due to the fact that a new/undiscovered exploit/vulnerability that somehow spreads through networks similar to a worm (and just like the Eternal Blue exploit/vulnerability used to spread WannaCry, though it was patched by MS prior to that particular event, though there have been many examples where this has not been the case and MS reacted only after a threat has emerged and infected users (for example, the Sasser and Blaster worms from years back, though there are certainly numerous contemporary examples I'm sure.

Then networked devices are not safe and as I said, securing the network is a must and going offline is not a solution, as he needs to secure his network for safety of the connected devices.and there r tools such as for IoT to secure your network in toto which should take care of it. 

Sure, but as with all things, no protection is 100% effective 100% of the time, and no amount of additional filters and firewalls can possibly stop every possible threat.  They can certainly decrease the chances, however there is always a risk.  Keeping the unpatched/outdated boxes offline with in-network access only at least prevents them from being the initial attack vector of any potential threat, thus decreasing the chances overall of an infection making it onto the network since the only devices directly connecting would be fully patched (though again, this is not a 100% guarantee of complete safety; it just improves the odds greatly).

But he said about having 3+ WIn 7 systems, so taking one offline doesn't make sense. and the question is what one can do with only offline working? Just gaming perhaps, watch some old media, a sheer waste of resources.

Oh, I thought he was planning to keep all the 7 systems offline and use updated/10 systems for internet access.

@sman & @exile360, I will take this all on board and read through the posts. At the moment we are still in a summer which has not been very kind to us so far. Big bush fires and a big drought are still with us. At the moment it is 40C (104F) outside and we have been asked to shed power. More heat tomorrow and Sunday. I will be back on line whenever .... meanwhile check the BOM weather link and Australia is just as big as the US excluding Alaska and Hawaii.

http://www.bom.gov.au/

Yeah, you guys have had a rough go of it down under from what I've been hearing.  I hope everyone is doing alright and that this drought passes quickly.