Amazing1

RtlS5Wake app? Virus or Trojan?

When I restart or shutdown my computer a message appears stating an app called RtlS5Wake is preventing my computer from restarting and gives me the option to cancel or restart anyway, which I always choose.

I googled RtlS5Wake and found out it is part of a product known as Realtek-WOW-Utility which is one of the apps running upon start up. Based on the Google results, it appears this is a Trojan Virus and should be removed from my computer, which BTW is running Windows 10.

Can someone please confirm if I should remove this app and provide instructions on how to remove it.

Thanks in advance

Hello, Welcome to Malwarebytes.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Submit the RtlS5Wake.exe file to VirusTotal.

Follow the directivies on this page.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home

Post the reply by posting the URL that was issued.

===

Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST).
Choose the 32 or 64 bit version for your system.
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Select Click the Choose a File.
Navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file. It will appear in section.
Click the Saving button.

Please attach the logs for my review.

Wait for further instructions
====

Thank you, nasdaq it was really helpful.Just wonder why my Malwarebytes premium did not recognise it?

Hello @Amazing1

The object in question is not a virus or Trojan it is simply a tool from Realtek - please see the following.

https://www.file.net/process/rtls5wake.exe.html

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rtls5wake-app-trojan-virus/0679ba15-961e-45f3-8b53-f25f5fedcbed

image.png

There was nothing for Malwarebytes to detect as it is a valid manufacturer file. If it were a virus then yes Malwarebytes would potentially detected it depending on which one it was. There has not been a new virus for many years now.

The term "virus" is also misused by extension to refer to other types of malware. "Malware" encompasses computer viruses along with many other forms of malicious software, such as computer "worms", ransomware, spyware, adware, Trojan horses, keyloggers, rootkits, bootkits, malicious Browser Helper Object (BHOs), and other malicious software. The majority of active malware threats are actually Trojan horse programs or computer worms rather than computer viruses.

Please read the following topic

If you have any other questions or need further assistance in reviewing your system please let us know and provide at least the logs from FRST

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information