804 beta conflicts with TechSmith Snagit and File Compression

This new beta 804 conflicts with TechSmith's Snagit v20.0.1.0.  The Capture function of Snagit cannot capture if the MBAM GUI is open on the desktop.  I cannot attach the MB support tool files because the Support tool cannot zip the files.

In addition, Windows File Compression hangs totally if it is invoked with doing a Custom scan of the primary drive.  System has to be rebooted to clean the hang.

NOTE:  If I place my C:\Program Files\ WinRAR folder in the Allow list, this hang does not occur.

FileCompressionHang.png

Edited by siliconman01
File compression

I ripped out KIS 2020 yesterday at the request of a MB support technician for another issue that relates to the MB support tool and it did not change anything.  The problem still presists.  It took me a couple of hours to get KIS 2020 re-installed and functioning properly again because MBAM had to be removed before KIS would re-installed.  I don't have time today to go through all that again.  My opinion is that it would not change anything because this is happening on all my systems.  

The issue with Malwarebytes Support Tool is caused by FileASSASSIN being installed. If you uninstall this, you will find the Support Tool completes log gathering successfully.

----------

To confirm, when you uninstalled KIS 2020, did you reboot the machine at least once? And after the reboot, did you confirm the issue with Snagit persists? Or did you only check if the issue with the Support Tool persists? Note that the issue with the Support Tool is completely unrelated to the other two issues you've mentioned.

We've not been able to reproduce an issue with Snagit and the latest beta update (see below).
Could you provide the exact steps you're taking that result in the issue occurring?

image.thumb.png.98d2d44a7fb8e09cc9dafd3f09d2aedb.png

----------

Regarding the hang that occurs with file compression, are these the steps you're taking?

• Open Malwarebytes and launch a Custom Scan.
  • Right-click a folder containing multiple files -> Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder.
  • Windows file compression hangs.

How are you configuring your Custom Scan? Is rootkit scanning enabled?
Where is the folder you're attempting to compress located?
What type of files are you attempting to compress? What's the total size of the folder?
As you're using the native/built-in Windows file compression utility, it is interesting that adding an exclusion for the WinRAR installation folder mitigates the issue.

Edited by LiquidTension
4 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

The issue with Malwarebytes Support Tool is caused by FileASSASSIN being installed. If you uninstall this, you will find the Support Tool completes log gathering successfully.

----------

To confirm, when you uninstalled KIS 2020, did you reboot the machine at least once? And after the reboot, did you confirm the issue with Snagit persists? Or did you only check if the issue with the Support Tool persists? Note that the issue with the Support Tool is completely unrelated to the other two issues you've mentioned.

We've not been able to reproduce an issue with Snagit and the latest beta update (see below).
Could you provide the exact steps you're taking that result in the issue occurring?

image.thumb.png.98d2d44a7fb8e09cc9dafd3f09d2aedb.png

----------

Regarding the hang that occurs with file compression, are these the steps you're taking?

• Open Malwarebytes and launch a Custom Scan.
  • Right-click a folder containing multiple files -> Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder.
  • Windows file compression hangs.

How are you configuring your Custom Scan? Is rootkit scanning enabled?
Where is the folder you're attempting to compress located?
What type of files are you attempting to compress? What's the total size of the folder?
As you're using the native/built-in Windows file compression utility, it is interesting that adding an exclusion for the WinRAR installation folder mitigates the issue.

I uninstalled FileAssassin and the support tool ran quickly and zipped/saved the logs as it should.   I hope you can fix this conflict between these 2 MB tools.  I use FileAssassin in the Task Scheduler to delete several files on system reboot, so FileAssassin is routinely used on my systems.  

I completely uninstalled MBAM 4 using the support tool, re-installed it and updated again to 804.  Now Snagit works okay and so does file compression.  I did the same on my Dell XPS 15 2in1 laptop with the same positive results.  What changed I have no idea, but am satisfied that the issue is no longer present.

Thank you for the update. If you encounter any further issues, please let us know.

15 hours ago, siliconman01 said:

I uninstalled FileAssassin and the support tool ran quickly and zipped/saved the logs as it should. 

We have a defect filed and hope to have a fix available in the future.