Kaspersky 2020 version issues, incompatibility and more.

On 3/19/2020 at 6:57 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Malwarebytes Components Update: 4.1.0.56 version 1.0.854 addresses Certain Ransomware protection incompatibilities with Kaspersky

This release includes, along with other things, the fix for Kaspersky, iTunes and Photoshop

I've just checked back after month of running with Ransomware protection disabled. Great news indeed! Thanks.

I see above (prior to this update being released) that one of the mitigations was to revert Kaspersky to KIS 19. When I was last considering my response to the conflict, it was uncertain whether KIS 19 (or maybe it's patch following the KIS 20 troublesome patch) might have the same issue, and there was at least one report that the issue was in fact in KIS19 as well.

Can we categorically say now that KIS19 was not affected? I have a relative who (I think is running KIS19 still), who is probably running with RW protection disabled as recovering from a locked up PC might be too difficult.... It would be good if I could advise that it's safe to dive back in!....

@x64 From my point of view YES. Meanwhile I´m using KIS 19 and MB both in real time scan mode on 3 PCs/Laptop up to now pretty stable and without any problems. KIS v 19.0.0.1088 (l) [means incl. Patch "L"]; MB v Premium 4.1.0; Win10 Pro v 1909 on each PC.

My experience was that KIS 19 posed no problems at any time by using MB as real time scanner regardless of KIS 19 patch and MB version. (Although KIS 19 lost some good features compared to KIS 18 - but that is another issue.)

Didn´t try KIS 20 in combination with new MB fix up to now - had definitely too much trouble with KIS 20 in the past. Will wait for more positive feedback and confirmations from the community.

Hi @AdvancedSetup, thanks for clarification. This fits well from a timely perspective, because my PC troubles started in January when setting up a brand new PC with KIS 20 initially (of course by using the regular online installer at that time) and upgrading from KIS 19 to KIS 20 on my laptop parallely. Didn´t check the KIS patch version but it must have been patch E or later.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I currently own latest paid version of Malwarebytes for home users.  I want to purchase Kaspersky Total Security 2020 and use it alongside of Malwarebytes, but I’ve come across several posts describing several incompatibilities and issue.

Several months have gone by and wanted to ask if the issues have been resolved?  I don't want to purchase and start with a bag of problems and headaches.

Thanks

1 minute ago, MOY_MORAGA said:

Hi everyone,

I currently own latest paid version of Malwarebytes for home users.  I want to purchase Kaspersky Total Security 2020 and use it alongside of Malwarebytes, but I’ve come across several posts describing several incompatibilities and issue.

Several months have gone by and wanted to ask if the issues have been resolved?  I don't want to purchase and start with a bag of problems and headaches.

Thanks

Already answered in your other post.  Try the trial of Kaspersky first to be sure. Personally I would just use Windows defender with Malwarebytes.

Hi

When I install Kaspersky, Should I install in a specific order/way/manner? For example should I disable anything within Malwarebytes? Or after installation of Kaspersky,  should I do something to avoid issues? I think I remember reading to include both suites in the exclusions section,  correct? Anything else?

Well Kaspersky will complain that Malwarebytes is not compatible and if you look closely in that warning, there is an install anyway link/button.

8 minutes ago, MOY_MORAGA said:

I think I remember reading to include both suites in the exclusions section

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

Edited by Porthos

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

Well Kaspersky will complain that Malwarebytes is not compatible and if you look closely in that warning, there is an install anyway link/button.

I would  also recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and Your AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to Your AV 's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add Your AV 's program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

Thank you, appreciate your help and quick response! 😎