MSA.exe virus, I suspect, but can't seem to fix it

StewieK

So, yesterday, the opening of CSI: Miami season 8 was on and the parents were hogging the television, so I went online to watch it, and ended up getting a fake Flash Player installation.

I stupidly ran it to see just how legit it was, and my installed Comodo Antivirus told me that MSA.EXE, B.EXE, and C.EXE were all trying to do unauthorized actions. I blocked every one of them, and when I went back to the folder to delete the fake Flash Player installer, it was gone.

I thought nothing of it, and ran a Comodo AV scan last night, which came up with zero threats, so I turned off my computer and went to bed.

This morning, I went to university and booted up Chrome to log into the wireless, then went to FireFox to start working on my assignment. The FireFox.exe process loaded, but closed almost immediately after. I tried it again, and the same thing happened. At the end of class, I turned off my machine, hoping it might clear it up. Before it shut down, it gave me a notification that "CUccPlatform" was not responding, so I just hit end task.

Went on break after class and booted up my machine, and FireFox would still not boot. It was at this point that I noticed Windows Live Messenger (which I have enabled to run on startup) was a running process but did not display a window or anything.

I'm a fair bit computer-savvy so I decided to try a few things with FireFox. I renamed it to ff3.exe instead of firefox.exe, and it ran perfectly. This is when I realized I probably had a virus, and related it back to yesterday when I downloaded that file.

I quickly went to the internet and to my Firewall log files to find the cause of the problem. I quickly found C:\WINDOWS\msa.exe (which I found on Google was a piece of malware), and deleted it. I also found the C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Temp\b.exe (and c.exe) and deleted them both.

Thinking I was oh so clever, I started FireFox again (using firefox.exe), but the same problem occurred.

At this point, I was getting a little fed up, so I just used Chrome for the rest of my school day and ran ClamWin Antivirus in the background. It came across a few viral files which I swiftly deleted.

The same problem still existed, so I went back to good old Google, and found MalwareByte's Anti-Malware program, and downloaded it. Immediately after starting a Full Scan, the program terminated and I was unable to run it again (something about invalid permissions--as if I'm not the administrator or something).

Continuing on my witch hunt, I tried HiJackThis! (which I have used with success in the past on my desktop). Same problem--halfway through the scan, it just shuts down and I am unable to run it again.

Attempting once again to rectify the issue, I used Comodo to block all access to the HiJackThis.exe file, and even renamed it Blablabla.exe to see if that could throw the virus off.

Nope; didn't work either.

I've also tried the DDS tool and GMER. They both crash upon completion as well.

Throughout this process I also ended up looking through all my registry keys. I found a few that were mentioned online, namely one named NordPull, and one named poprock. I didn't find any startup keys starting msa.exe or anything suspicious, nor is there anything odd in my Active Processes list.

So basically, it's now been almost 12 hours of frustration, I'm at my wit's end here, and I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. This'll sure teach me to watch TV online... :)

Cheers, and thanks in advance! :)

PS: I took the liberty of running Win32kDiag.exe, and here is the log:

Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\My Documents\Downloads\Win32kDiag.exe

Log file at : C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'...

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB915865\KB915865

Mount point destination : \Device\__max++>\^

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP167.tmp\ZAP167.tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP246.tmp\ZAP246.tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP263.tmp\ZAP263.tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP302.tmp\ZAP302.tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP35C.tmp\ZAP35C.tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP3EA.tmp\ZAP3EA.tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP5DB.tmp\ZAP5DB.tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\temp\temp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\assembly\tmp\tmp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Config\Config

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Connection Wizard\Connection Wizard

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations\{4A950ED3-4763-44A0-910A-B2BA5F2D5CA9}\{4A950ED3-4763-44A0-910A-B2BA5F2D5CA9}

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ime\imejp\applets\applets

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\ime\imejp98\imejp98

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109511090400000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518\12.0.4518

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109711090400000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518\12.0.4518

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109910090400000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518\12.0.4518

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109B10090400000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518\12.0.4518

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109F100A0C00000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518\12.0.4518

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109F100C0400000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518\12.0.4518

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\0DC1503A46F231838AD88BCDDC8E8F7C\3.2.30729\3.2.30729

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\18555481990E8AB4CBB63FB4F26006C0\1.0.0\1.0.0

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\D7314F9862C648A4DB8BE2A5B47BE100\1.0.0\1.0.0

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\DC3BF90CC0D3D2F398A9A6D1762F70F3\2.2.30729\2.2.30729

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\java\classes\classes

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\java\trustlib\trustlib

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\Bind Logs\Bind Logs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\Temporary ASP.NET Files

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\msapps\msinfo\msinfo

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\ERRORREP\QHEADLES\QHEADLES

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\ERRORREP\QSIGNOFF\QSIGNOFF

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\BATCH\BATCH

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Config\CheckPoint\CheckPoint

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\HelpFiles\HelpFiles

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\InstalledSKUs\InstalledSKUs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\System\News\News

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\System_OEM\System_OEM

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\Temp\Temp

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\PIF\PIF

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Registration\CRMLog\CRMLog

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\AuthCabs

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\EventCache\EventCache

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Registered\Registered

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\Deployment\Deployment

Cannot access: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sfi.dat

[1] 2009-09-22 18:54:41 1474832 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sfi.dat ()

Cannot access: C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventlog.dll

[1] 2008-04-14 06:00:00 56320 C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\eventlog.dll (Microsoft Corporation)

[1] 2008-04-14 06:00:00 61952 C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventlog.dll ()

[2] 2008-04-14 06:00:00 56320 C:\WINDOWS\system32\logevent.dll (Microsoft Corporation)

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Google Toolbar\Google Toolbar

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Temp\MCE00000\MCE00000

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Temp\MCE00001\MCE00001

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Patcher2972\Patcher2972

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\twain_32\snp2uvc\snp2uvc

Found mount point : C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\InstallTemp\InstallTemp

Finished!

• Root Admin

Go to start > run and copy and paste the following command in the field:

"%userprofile%\desktop\win32kdiag.exe" -f -r

This should restore permissions on locked files and remove mountpoints.

Then run the following.

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**

1. If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
    • Tools->Options->Main tab
    • Set to "Always ask me where to Save the files".

[*]During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

CF_download_FF.gif

CF_download_rename.gif

[*]It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.

[*]Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.

[*]Close any open browsers.

[*]Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• Close any open browsers.
  • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
  • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

[*]Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.

[*]When finished, it will produce a report for you.

[*]Please post the "C:\Combo-Fix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review.

**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

If you still cannot get this to run, try booting into Safe Mode, and run it there.

To boot into Safe Mode, tap F8 after BIOS, and just before the Windows logo appears. A list of options will appear, select "Safe Mode."

If this doesn't work either, try the same method (above method), but name Combofix.exe to iexplore.exe instead, or winlogon.exe..

This because It also happens in some cases that malware blocks EVERY process except for what is in its own whitelist, so this whitelist also includes system important processes such as iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, winlogon.exe...