AdvancedSetup

Windows Update - Patch Tuesday Critical - CVE-2020-0601

10 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

Then how can my wife be on 592 but she doesn't have KB4528760 installed?

It is there, If you download the stand alone installer and attempt to install it and will probably say it is already installed.

2020-01-17_00h53_03.png

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

@Porthos

Is it hidden in the update she did today to 1903 and therefore not showing under quality updates?

Bill

Can't say, Did you attempt the standalone installer?

3 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

@Porthos

I'm going to bed now.  I

Yup its 1:35am here as well.

@BillH99999  Just a thought. According to Post #20, your wife did a Feature Update.  She must have been on 1809 or lower possibly. During a Feature Update she would get the latest level applied as a matter of course. 

I installed this update the day before yesterday, but ended up having to uninstall it. It caused severe lag in my Chrome browser and also prevented me from opening Windows Security for some reason. I thought it may have been related to MB or MB Browser Guard, but have no evidence to corroborate that as I uninstalled it before doing any investigating. I'll probably try again once MB gets updated to correct the BSOD errors that have been reported, as I was having the same issue and had to disable Web Protection & install the Browser Guard extension.

Just some additional notes about the MS security patch for Crypto32.dll

If you drill thru Windows Update history ( for Windows 10 )  under Quality updates,

you should see 2020-01 Cumulative update for Windows 10 ................................. KB4528760

if so, know that that cumulative update includes the patch for Crypto32.dll

8 hours ago, RTL434 said:

@BillH99999  Just a thought. According to Post #20, your wife did a Feature Update.  She must have been on 1809 or lower possibly. During a Feature Update she would get the latest level applied as a matter of course. 

That is what I was wondering in reply #27.    

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Just some additional notes about the MS security patch for Crypto32.dll

If you drill thru Windows Update history ( for Windows 10 )  under Quality updates,

you should see 2020-01 Cumulative update for Windows 10 ................................. KB4528760

if so, know that that cumulative update includes the patch for Crypto32.dll

I am on 535 and KB4528760 is not installed on my computer and does not show in the quality updates anywhere.  

Despite that, the last 10 or 15 manual windows update checks continue to say I am up to date.  This seems very strange to me since KB4528760 has apparently been available since Tuesday.

Next I will try to update my machine using the stand alone installer from the link above.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

Yup its 1:35am here as well.

@Porthos

First thing this morning I did another manual Windows update check on my PC and it still said I was up to date.  So I downloaded the stand alone installer and installed KB4528760.  Now doing a winver shows I am on 592.  I guess I really don't understand why I was not being offered this update via Windows update since it had supposedly been available since Tuesday.

Next I'll verify my wife's PC already has it installed by trying to run the stand alone installer.

Thanks,
Bill

25 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I guess I really don't understand why I was not being offered this update via Windows update since it had supposedly been available since Tuesday.

I have a feeling something is up with both that update and 1909 for some computers. I have seen some with install failures on line and the reason I was up late last night is I have a client computer on 1909 (clean install) that would not install that KB either. Today I installed 1903 on the same computer and it took the KB no issue. I will next check if this computer will offer 1909 and I have a feeling it wont.

Back to work I go. Will update when I know the results.

11 hours ago, Porthos said:

Can't say, Did you attempt the standalone installer?

@Porthos

I tried the stand alone installer on my wife's machine.  It said she already had KB4528760 installed.  So it must have already been in the 1903 update she installed yesterday morning.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Bill

@Porthos and @BillH99999 thanks for sharing your experiences. fwiw - I am on Windows 10 18363.535 and after days and days of repeatedly checking, my system still does not "see" the latest security update. I am reluctant to manually install them for fear of (1) there's a know problem and Microsoft is purposely delaying the update, (2) future automatic Windows Updates will not work properly on top of manual ones and/or (3) irrecoverable  system corruption.

Windows updates have worked properly in the VM on Windows 10 on this same machine, as well as several other stand-alone computers.

image.png.a45c4b6a72ab89b9b146b91edda86e77.png

image.png.e259773463b2bd2cca09eee5e586a6e3.png

image.png.01cf88929ea832bea4eb928adbc650b2.png

1 hour ago, gojimmypi said:

I am reluctant to manually install them for fear of (1) there's a know problem and Microsoft is purposely delaying the update, (2) future automatic Windows Updates will not work properly on top of manual ones and/or (3) irrecoverable  system corruption.

If you are concerned about the above, Make an image backup of the computer to an external hard drive with something like Macrium Reflect Free.

Then get the stand alone installer for the MS update.

Thanks everyone for the great feedback; have learned a bit reading through the different submissions.

I guess one thing that surprised me was that this all important update was considered a "Quality Update"; why not a security update or something more obvious?

TIA!

2 hours ago, CommGuy said:

I guess one thing that surprised me was that this all important update was considered a "Quality Update"; why not a security update or something more obvious?

It was just a normal "patch tuesday" Cumulative update that happens every month.

Thanks Pete for that link.   I noticed this when reading the Sans link

the SANS Internet Storm Center has created a test  page    /  the 2nd link above.

Hello Maurice:

Hopefully this will assist the more security conscious amongst us.

Thank you.

I was kinda hoping that Windows didn't offer me updates, as I wasn't actually vulnerable. But silly me, no.

Thanks @Porthos for Macrium tip. Awaiting storage device to save image before attempting manual KB install.

I'm one of the lucky 1%  😕  woo. hoo. boo hoo

image.png.97e2f2ff165d62f00db7595bd0864999.png

At the TOP of some clock-hour,   do a new Windows Update run.   at the TOP of some hour because Microsoft meters the volume of offered updates by the W U feature.

What you reported last time on your Windows 10, showed the pc did not have the security update.

And if after this Windows Update run your Windows WINVER   does not show build 18363.592,   then pull down the security update from the Microsoft Download Catalog.

I recall I posted a link for those up above.   by the way, I would recommend using EDGE to get to this MS link

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4528760

Just be careful to pick the one for your Build  And for the bit-ness of your Windows   ( ie,    x86 for 32-bit,  x64 for 64-bit,  ARM64 for ARM system)

p.s.  after a successful update, your Windows Update history should show

2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64

This merely will embellish with a visual aid Maurice's fine #46 post for those who seem to feel they are at the end of the list for metered downloads and do not wish to wait:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Windows 10 KB4528760

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/e90b38877088362b2d6f48ce086417a0e32bd28d582703189af58e3b857adcbc/details

The VT link sample singles out one of the downloads that illustrates embedded hashes in its filename along with its digital signing/counter signing.

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 02.29.29.png

Edited by 1PW

21 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

p.s.  after a successful update, your Windows Update history should show

2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64

@Maurice Naggar

I'm a bit confused.

As you will note in my attached screen print, the above did not move me to 592.  That was installed before Christmas... long before this patch was available.  

It was the application of patch KB4528760 which I downloaded and installed from the link you provided which actually moved me to 592.  

This screen print shows what my Windows Update History shows.

Bill

Applying patchimage1.jpg.880c3d8971b09faec95ed736bd613c63.jpg

Edited by BillH99999

First thing this morning I did another manual Windows update check on my PC and it still said I was up to date.  So I downloaded the stand alone installer and installed KB4528760.  Now doing a winver shows I am on 592.  I guess I really don't understand why I was not being offered this update via Windows update since it had supposedly been available since Tuesday.

I had exactly the same problem, Tried to manually  update win 10 v 1903 and it said up to date. I knew that was not he case.

I checked the advanced options in the update window. Scroll down to the bottom where it says

"A quality update includes security improvements . It can be deferred for this many days" 

image.png.21483ca8b390f1be7f486100cdec5270.png

Change the drop down box to 0 and go back and recheck for updates manually . If it's like mine it will find the update immediately.  

I had overlooked that. Must have delayed the updates when feature update 1903 happened.