Unable to install Windows 10, SFC shows Corrupt Files

You are very welcome.

You do not actually need to remove pictures.   Just make backup copies to offline storage.

and a Backup of your system is always a good practice anyway.

Allow me to repeat mention  of these best practices.

Best  practices & malware prevention:

Backup is your best friend.  Make regular backups onto external storage media.

Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".
Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html

Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Julie.

It just happened I was doing some reading elsewhere this morning.  I spotted an article about Net Framework that may be of interest to you.

This is on Tenforums and is about how to get the latest Cumulative update from Microsoft for the Net Framework.

Take a look at the very top post by Brink.   Look it over.  The bottom of that post has links to get the installer file from MS

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/149450-kb4534132-cumulative-update-net-framework-3-5-4-8-windows-10-jan-28-a.html

Maurice,

I just turned on the PC, to see how many pictures are on here, that my mother would like saved to a different PC.  Anyhow, when it started it did some kind of "repair disc" with a black screen and a timer countdown and percentage of the process done.  Then, it started Windows like normal.  Still had a dll error, upon Windows starting.  

My question:  Is there anything I should check or do at this point (after this "repair disc" process)?

Thank you, Julie

Hi Julie.

I cannot have any idea just what this "repair disc" is.   I very much regret to read there is some sort of DLL issue on this machine.

See about saving all pictures, documents, personal files etc  to some sort of media off this machine.

Once you are sure you have got all personal things saved, my view would be to have you do either a REFRESH operation or otherwise a RESET operation.

Reading this latest info of a DLL thing leads me to conclude that this machine likely needs to have the Windows Operating system rebuilt from the ground up.

IF this machine already has the FRST report tool,  I would like a fresh set of reports.

If it does not have FRST  then, download and save it.

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 32-Bit version Windows"

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Run report with FRST

Right-click on FRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._
Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.
Thank you.

Maurice,

The dll errors are not new.  I took snips and included them in post from Sunday (1/26). I can certainly proceed with your directions, I just wanted to clarify first that you know this is the same machine we've worked on for days now.  If you think the FRST report and two files requested might help, then I'll proceed with that.  I just wanted to double check before going forward. 

Thank you

This is the DELL machine with Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Processor

Is there anything on it,  any paid for program that you cant afford to lose -   that you could not re-install later ?

It is currently running  Windows 10 Home  build Version 1903 18362.592

The intended goal is about doing a repair-install procedure on Windows 10.   There is a good guide at Tenforums

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

The intended section to follow is section 6    which is titled To do a repair install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool

Study that real well.   Follow that section 6 real close.

The object at this time is a repair AND  "to keep personal files and apps"

I am hoping for a good new setup-repair of windows, including NO More repeats of any startup hiccups, especially any DLL type hiccups.

From here on out, let us please do not bring up nor mention any other problem on any other machine.

If there is some issue on a different pc, then Create a New case.

Thank you so much for understanding.

Maurice,

I've been studying the information on tenforums and taking notes.  There is one thing I can't figure out on this PC. 

The "temporarily disable SECURE BOOT in UEFI firmware settings".  The three ways they discuss (from link within the article) to do this are specific to PC brand or Motherboard.  I know the PC is Dell, which is not listed in their instructions.  I have no idea what brand the motherboard of this machine might be.  So I tried to search "secure boot" and then "uefi settings" and it took me to the screen below. 

I have not a clue how to continue.  

Thank you, Julie

can't find uefi settings 200202.png

Maurice,

I think I've answered the question, from the tenforums comments section.  (snip below)

I'm going to go forward with the procedure.  On the snip, it does say to do a "good system image backup first".  I'm assuming that is after installation complete.  And I have no idea how to do the system image backup.

Okay, here goes...

uefi take 3.png

Maurice,

Okay, didn't work.

First time went all the way to downloading, and then displayed a popup at the end.  Popup stated process had failed, and instructed to restart computer and run the Media Creation Tool again.

The next time (after restart) the Windows 10 was downloading, at least 50-60% and I stepped away for a minute.  When I returned, the display was on the desktop with a couple of popup errors, the dll kind.  I'll attach below as snips.

Btw- After this second try, I tried to look at the Event Viewer to find out if there was a log with more information as to why the process had unexpectedly quit.  Instead of bringing up the event viewer, I got a popup stating "a new document cannot be created" or something like that.

I tried one more time, after restarting the PC again.  This time the process completed the download part, then displayed "creating Windows 10 media".  After that was finished, it started "Setup...Cleaning up" or something similar (only was on the screen a second or two, disappeared as I was writing it down) and immediately the window disappeared. 

On this last time, I had cleared various popup errors throughout the process, as they appeared.  Since the process was going further than before, I thought maybe I'd get through to the end.  

Btw- After the second try (not third), I tried to look at the Event Viewer to find out if there was a log with more information as to why the process had unexpectedly quit.  Instead of bringing up the event viewer, I got a popup stating "a new document cannot be created" or something like that.

All personal pictures, etc were moved from the PC to a USB.  There are no paid for programs.  Is it possible to do a complete reinstall?  Would that clear up these types of problems?  This PC was Windows 7 before it updated automatically in August.  There is a sticker on the tower with "Microsoft" logo and a product key.

Thank you, Julie

error1.png

error2.png

Your machine is to old to have UEFI.  Thus ignore any mentions about it.  Ignore any mentions for image backup.  You have told me you have copied off all personal files & pictures, etc

You said 

All personal pictures, etc were moved from the PC to a USB.  There are no paid for programs.

The next plan is to essenially rebuild the whole operating system.

You will need a separate USB-thumb drive   ( a new one / different from the one where you saved your parents files).

It needs to be at least 4 GB in storage capacity.

The Media Creation tool will be used to make a Windows 10 installation  media source.  The stuff will come from Microsoft.

Afterwards, you will set the BIOS on this system to be set to boot from USB.

You would then reboot  the machine  once after you have that built-up USB inserted.

You would then follow a set of directions.

1   Get a new USB   and make the "Media Creation tool".

The link for this tool is at the page cited below.

You will pick 'Create installation media for another pc"

Next, you will select "USB flash drive "

When completed, and the run was good,  the USB  will have all that is needed to do a clean new fresh setup of Windows 10.

Keep that USB safe.

This link ( the top of it ) is a good guide  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade

2.  You need to research on Dell Support site for the proper function key that needs to be used at machine startup  so you can adjust the BIOS boot option.

It needs to be adjusted so that it boots from the USB connection first.

The machine is the DELL machine with Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Processor   ( the latter is the micro-processor  and not the Model of the Dell )

I think the BIOS is A05

If you are very quick,  as the hardware is booting up, you may see on-screen which Function key is cited for the BIOS.

If you do not know it, look close on the machine case and look for the make / model

Then do a search on the Dell Support site

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/

{  There is a link there, if needed, where you can contact Dell support on what you need or cant find }

One other note by the way, do not start the actual new-install process until you are well rested and have a block of quiet time.

Maurice-  Help please.

I started Dad's computer, booted from the USB drive that I used to make the Media Creation Tool.

Now I'm stuck, and it's probably a silly question, but I've just started this process.

The first is a pic I took with my phone, of the screen.  Note: There are three drives.

The second is a snip of the instructions I've found online on https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall.  It still isn't clear to me, and I thought I better stop and ask you first.

Please advise.

Thank you! Julie

IMG_2688.JPG

Bootable USB Windows 10 clean install 200205.png

Hi Julie,

That is great.  It should be obvious to see a working Windows 10.   also, you should have seen some sort of "welcome" / what's new type of thing.

Press the Windows-key on keyboard and look at the Start menu.

Let me suggest you be sure that this pc  ( as well as your others) have Malwarebytes for Windows Premium.

Bravo on what I expect is a good new Windows 10.

Good morning, Julie.

It occurred to me this morning, to remind you that Windows 10 comes pre-built with a very good antivirus from Microsoft:   Windows Defender.

No need to add on from other parties,

Hos is it going today ?   Is there anything else you need at this point on this machine ?

Hi Maurice,

I hadn't touched the PC in a few days.  I'm at my father's home and we have the computer setup.  Appreciate all your help!  At some point, I may submit a new topic for my personal laptop.  But Mom and Dad's computers are both doing great...thanks your help.  

Julie

Maurice,

One more thing...

I'm trying to simplify the computer for him and am following advice you'd given me way earlier.  (Link below, see snip #1)

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

Anyhow, to disable notifications the instructions state to find Microsoft Edge in the list of senders and then toggle to off.  In Dad's "new" computer, there is not a Microsoft Edge listed.  See snip #2 below.  Do you know why it wouldn't show up there?  I'm using Edge right now to view forums.malwarebytes.com.

website instructions notifications.jpg

No MS Edge listed.jpg

For the 1st post above   ( about EDGE)

To disable web notifications in Windows:

• Click the Start button in Windows (Windows icon).
  • Select Settings (gear icon).
  • Select System.
  • Select Notifications & actions.

Then look just a tad down this tab  and look for the "Sort by"    with the little drop down arrow

image.png.87e672369cc96c9b5393faadf6f543f2.png

Click that so that it shows Sort by NAME    

Then scroll down to look for Microsoft Edge    and then click that to the OFF positions    [   to the far left]

image.png.6a696fab0fdf5cfd532602dd72899f78.png

Now then,  as far as Background apps, there is no need to mess with those.  There is no need to change any of the defaults.