Unable to install Windows 10, SFC shows Corrupt Files

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Julie,

From this point forward,  we need to only address this one machine,  the Windows 10 pc at hand.   Just one.  Reason being, I am having a hard time to determine which set of reports to look back on.

This machine is a Windows 10  / 64 bit   /  and apparently on the build 1903 of Windows.

I would like to have you do a few command line runs in a Windows Elevated Command prompt.    ( a Command prompt with administrator-level rights ).

Look on keyboard and press and hold the Windows-key  and then tap the key.   and then tap the A key.      (  Command Prompt ( Admin )

This should cause a black Command prompt  ( with administrator rights) to show.  I would like you to COPY   each command line  ( one at a time)  from here and then PASTE  into the black-command-prompt  and then tap Enter-key  and allow them to proceed.

net start trustedinstaller

net start winmgmt

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Close the command prompt.

Locate where you saved the report tool named FRST64.     ( it should be on the downloads folder)

Run  new report with FRST64

Right-click on FRST64 icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._
Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 

Then also, remind me, what is the main goal you have about this machine.

Thank you.
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Maurice,

My apologies, I thought you were aware I'd just been working with Dad's machine since my post on January 17, where I said I was going to shut the other one down.  The other one eventually will be factory restored and donated.  I am not going to use it further, since I have no real need to keep it and do not plan to add more memory to it.

I will follow your new instructions after I get home from work.

Thank you again for your help.

Maurice,

Attached are the FRST and ADDITION reports.  The snip is of the screen after I attempted the elevated command prompt.  I attached the snip because I didn't know if I did it correct. It was fast and didn't appear to do much?

As far as this (Dad's) machine...he basically likes to look at online news, some FB and outlook email.  He might view photos or documents also.  That's all.  

Again, sorry about the confusion.

Thanks, Julie

Elevated Command Prompt 200124.png

FRST.txt Addition.txt

Hi.  It looks to me that you had copies all of the 5 lines ( together as a single group)  and pasted them on to the Command Prompt.

I apologize if I did not make it real clear.

Each of the 5 lines are to be treated singly.   One at a time, Copy one and paste it into the Elevated Command prompt and tap Enter-key.

One at a time.

Copy 1 >  Paste it and tap Enter.

then do the same for each of the other lines singly.

Please go back and do those 

Thanks.  Thee last set of command prompt runs did well.

What follows is a mini-cleanup for this machine.  It will remove obsolete references to the  (long obsolescent ) Windows 7 "gwx" get windows 10 campaign.  It will also attempt to run the Windows 10 System File Checker tool.

Please Close and Save any open work you may have open.

Please close as many un-needed app-windows that you yourself may have open at this point.   So you can have a clear field of view.

This custom script is for  Jammin67   only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It may involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRST64 tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Desktop

The tool named FRST64.exe   tool    is already on the Desktop folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Desktop.

With your right-mouse-pointer,  do a RIGHT click FRST64  and select Run as Administrator   and allow it to proceed

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Fixlist.txt

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Maurice,

I had trouble with the FRST not updating.  Tried opening the program three times, with last one after a restart, to see if it would update.  Stated something like "update failed".  I decided to try to run it and do the fix without the update.  Attached is the log you requested.

After restart, I still couldn't get anything in the browsers to work, so checked on my internet and had to turn my router off and then on again before the internet worked.

Anyhow, thanks again!  

Fixlog.txt

The FRST does check for potential new versions of itself, which does need the internet connection.
Thanks for the Fixlog. The run was good overall. However, the System File Checker could not run. That is a concern.

For now, please do one new Scan with Malwarebytes for Windows and let me know the result.

Attached is the report from Malwarebytes Scan. 

It did download a new version before the scan, however during installation there were two computer popups...something like "install failed" or the like. I clicked "ok" on those popups and the install screen for Malwarebytes showed the green bar about 99% done, so I waited. 

The installation completed "successfully" and it appeared to open normally.  There was another popup at that time that my virus protection was off.  I checked Windows security and all items had the green check indicating there were no security issues.  At that point, I proceeded to do the Malwarebytes scan.  

Julie

Malwarebytes Scan 200126.txt

Thanks for the scan report.  The scan result is fine.   BUT this is Malwarebytes Version: 3.6.1.2711

I need for this pc  to be on Version 4.0.4

Version 4 is the latest and current release.  It has many improvements.

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool. 

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Let me know if this run clears up the issue or not.

Once this pc has version 4, then start the program.  Do a  new Scan please.

The user guide for Version 4 is here at this link at Malwarebytes Support  Malwarebytes for Windows guide v4

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

Support tool ran, rebooted and attempted to install current version.  Installation failed (tried support tool twice), see snip below.  Also having several dll error popups (see examples below.  they have been ongoing) and the same Dell DataSafe "create media" popup.  The Dell popup seems to appear at odd times...like when I open a browser to this webpage (forums.malwarebytes.com) or opening the Support tool and trying to update the version of Malwarebytes, etc. 

Additionally, after I ran the first Malwarebytes scan today (the one with the old version) the pc must have involuntarily shut down.  I had only turned off the screen, and left for errands.  When I returned, the entire computer was off.  And another notice that the virus protection was not on, when in fact Windows Security had all green checks and no notifications.

Thank you, Julie

Take Two attempting current version Malwarebytes 200126.png

DLL errors 200126a.png

DLL errors 200126b.png

DLL error upon startup 200126c.png

Hi Julie.

In future, if something fails, stop and let me know about it.  Dont be running things twice on your own.

Let us try the .NET Framework Repair Tool from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2698555/microsoft-net-framework-repair-tool-is-available

Maurice,

The second Malwarebytes scan was direction from you, so I shouldn't have tried the support tool twice, right?

There are two snips below.  The first is the screen that was displayed after I visited the link for .NET Framework Repair Tool and followed it's instructions.  The snip below is the dialog box that came up at the end. It tells me to "try reinstalling the .NET Framework or update that was failing" and to "keep this dialog box open". 

After opening Windows Update and retrying the version 1909 update (the last update, which failed a few days ago), a dialog box appeared.  See second snip below for that.

I'll leave these dialog boxes open, and the computer on at this time, until I receive your reply. 

Thank you

200127.png

200127b.png

Hi Julie,

Sorry to see all that trouble & glitches.   On the Net framework repair window, click the Finish button.   Lets close that out.

We should be able to install the latest Malwarebytes manually.

Also close the Windows Update window.  On that Windows Update issue, I am recommending ( after we get this case closed) for you to join ( free) the forum at Sysnative 

at  https://www.sysnative.com/forums/

click the Register button at the top & join.  There is no charge.  They have super experts on Windows Update issues.

It does take time to get a first reply;  they are kept busy all the time.   Have patience. Follow the procedures for Windows Update help

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.4736/

For the Malwarebytes for Windows program on this pc.  Go into Control Panel   and do a Uninstall for Malwarebytes.

Next after that, do a new manual download of the installer file  & a new Malwarebytes setup.

Please prepare by first closing any open work; saving any work in progress. Close them so you can have better view. 

Ideally, if possible, do a Windows Restart. Then proceed. 

Get the Malwarebytes installer is at this link 

Please use this link 

download and save the setup file . It will automatically download. Just SAVE first. 

Go to where you saved the file with Windows File Explorer

1.    RIGHT-click on the EXE file  and select RUN As Administrator to start the install and reply YES when prompted to allow it to proceed. 
2.    Follow the installation instructions to complete setup. 

Watch all of the process. Have lots of patience. 
Let me know how it goes. When setup has completed, my suggestion is always to do a Windows Restart. 

Please let me know how this goes. 

Sincerely,

siggh.

The  report tool named FRST64.exe   tool    is already on the Desktop folder

Run report with FRST64 

Right-click on FRST64  and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run. 

_Windows  10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._ 

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run. 
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway. 

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes.  

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST. 
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use. 

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked). 
Press Scan button and wait. 

Shape 

The tool will produce logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files. 

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply. 

Thank you. 

Hi Julie.

Thanks for the reports.  I have a custom script here to do a cleanup of prior Malwarebytes program files.  That is the first part.   Have patience here. This involves 2 parts.

[   1   ]

Please Close and Save any open work you may have open.

Please close as many un-needed app-windows that you yourself may have open at this point.   So you can have a clear field of view.

P.S.   Delete any prior saved copy of Fixlist.txt   ( from before )

This custom script is for  Jammin67   only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It may involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  DOWNLOADS  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Desktop.

Double click FRSTENGLISH

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

[   2   ]

Download the MBSetup file from this link   https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Save the file first.

Now, go to the download folder

With your mouse pointer, do a RIGHT-click on MBSetup.exe  and select RUN as Administrator  and reply YES to allow it to run and to proceed.

Have patience during this run.  Allow it as much time as needed.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Fixlist.txt

Maurice,

I've followed your instructions, see attached files.  I skimmed over the reports, and it looks like the fixlog one still has lots of "access denied, etc, etc".

What would happen if we factory restored this PC, and reloaded Windows, etc.??  It did not come with Windows 10, so that may be a problem.  Also, would it be wise to load the personal pictures onto a flash drive (in any case going forward) and get them off of the PC?  My mom does not want to lose them.

Thanks again.

Julie

Fixlog.txt Malwarebytes Scan 200128.txt

Let me say, Hey,  I am very very glad to see that Malwarebytes for Windows version 4.0.4  got installed,   We had a heck of efforts to get that on.

and, Hey, I am very happy to see that Malwarebytes reports no malware.

Backup is your best friend always.  Go ahead and backup your pictures, documents, and personal files to some backup media.

Rather than risking any operating system change, what I would ask you to do is just what I suggested before.  To post a case summary on the SYSNATIVE forum for their expertse on getting help on the System File Checker tool and the updating of Windows 10 to the latest build.

My advice is at the top of this post  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/255654-unable-to-install-windows-10-sfc-shows-corrupt-files/?do=findComment&comment=1358928

As to the access denied in the batch run, that is not fatal.   The SC command is known to be very picky.   Don't let that sway you in the wrong direction.

I do not see a infection situation on this machine.   I do recommend getting help at Sysnative forum.

You may delete the Fixlist.txt  that I had had you save.   You may & should keep  the  FRSTENGLISH  And   FRST64   since Sysnative may have you a report with it.

Edited by Maurice Naggar