jammin67

Unable to install Windows 10, SFC shows Corrupt Files

Nothing like waiting to the last minute.

I was able to download Windows 10.  However, it reverted back to my Windows 7 and stated the Windows 10 install had a problem during the "migrate data" part of the process.  I know enough about trying to fix computer issues, to make me dangerous.  So, asking for help.  

When I googled the problem on https://www.thewindowsclub.com/safe_os-phase-during-migrate_data-operation

it suggested using SFC.  I did, and the results showed corrupt file(s), some that could not be fixed.  I cannot attach the CBS file, and cannot get the computer to change permissions so I can attach it.

Also, since I haven't got Windows 10 on my laptop and today is the end of life for Windows 7, Should I remove my documents/pictures/videos to a USB or the like?

Thank you!

Hi Julie.

I take it that this is a different machine ( here ).

You should definitely BACKUP all  "documents/pictures/videos to a USB or the like"

To offline media like a USB flash-drive   that has plenty of capacity.

The setup failure 

during the "migrate data"

can indeed happen.  It basically means that the attempt to carry across some user files and data has failed  & so the Windows 10 setup reverts things back to what existed before  ( the Windows 7 from before.)

You don't mention the hardware specs  ( like the micro-processor brand /make /model), like whether it is a Intel i5  or better yest a  Intel i7   or newer

and the amount of RAM memory.

Also, whether there are any software programs installed presently  that you could not freshly re-install later ?

You may consider not keeping any thing if you want  to have just  a barebones fresh Windows 10.   That would mean later you would need to freshly install application programs.

Is that something you may consider ?

For the time being, lets see if you can get a report on this Windows / applications /  and this hardware.

I would like to simply just get a plain MSINFO report from this machine.
Would you please go to the Start button and then the RUN option. ( Windows-key + R key )
type in

msinfo32

and tap Enter-key. This starts the Microsoft System Information tool. Allow enough time for the applet to load and finish.

Look on first screen on the menu bar.
Select File > EXPORT ...
then provide a meaningful file name and save that. Then also attach that files in a new reply so that I can see some other basic information about your hardware

ALSO, see if this hardware happens to have somewhere outside the case a COA  certificate of authenticity  sticker for Windows from the hardware manufacturer.

NOTE: You can still use this pc with Windows 7.  It only just is,  that Microsoft will not be providing any future security patches to it, for Windows 7.

But you can still use the system.   You just have to be super careful, as always,  on what you do.   ( Recall the Best Practices I mentioned to you on the prior case_.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Maurice,

Thanks for the reply.  I have been transferring files tonight on my small (8 G) flash drive, to my newer laptop which has Windows 10.  I purchased the "newer" one with the thought that I would eventually just switch.  When you mentioned in the other topic that Windows 7 machines could still do free upgrade, I decided to try.

On the other front, my dad's PC must have updated to Windows 10 in August. I brought home his tower to clean it up though, since it is going slower than a sloth.  I will not get to that until later this week.  Once it's cleaned up, then I'll see if it even has enough memory, etc to effectively run Windows 10.  

My mom was glad to get her laptop back.  I spent almost two hours making backup DVDs for her laptop, as I thought you instructed. At the end of that process, it stated something like Windows 7 backup was completed. I have no idea if I just wasted two hours or not, but I know she got the laptop new right when Windows 10 was released. Best Buy loaded it on her laptop before she took it home. Not sure if we need to do a different backup, or what?  When you say backup often, is that always on external media?  That seems expensive.

Okay, back to this machine.  I've transferred all important files.  I'm going to delete those files off this machine tonight.  But, I won't be doing anything else tonight.  Gotta get to bed so I can work tomorrow.  As for wiping this machine clean, it would probably be okay except I have Office 2007 and I don't know if it will load on Windows 10?  On my "newer" laptop with Windows 10, I purchased Office 16 for that very reason. 

And, that "newer" laptop also needs cleaned up...but that is my last priority since it doesn't have too much wrong with it.  

I'll follow up with your suggestions tomorrow evening.  

Thanks!

14 hours ago, jammin67 said:

My mom was glad to get her laptop back.  I spent almost two hours making backup DVDs for her laptop, as I thought you instructed. At the end of that process, it stated something like Windows 7 backup was completed. I have no idea if I just wasted two hours or not, but I know she got the laptop new right when Windows 10 was released. Best Buy loaded it on her laptop before she took it home. Not sure if we need to do a different backup, or what?  When you say backup often, is that always on external media?  That seems expensive.

Yes, by backup I meant to a external storage device that you keep at home.  If you check around ( like at Amazon or a local big-box electronic store) you can have a 1 TB or 2TB  ( that is 1 Terrabyte or 2 Terrabyte   depending on how large your disc is on the computer itself)  for something around $60 per Terrabyte .  Do some comparison shopping.

And if you do not have backup software, already, look at Macrium Reflect    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

They even have a free version.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

P.S.   MS Office 2007  is not supported on Windows 10.

If you have no existing MS Office  ( latest versions) that can be applied to "this machine-at-hand" then there are other possibilities that are free.

LibreOffice is one  https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/

Google Docs is another

Maurice,

Thank you for the explanation of backup.  I do know what an external hard drive is, in fact I have one that has never been opened (Seagate) but I doubt it will work because it is at least 7-8 years old. I have another Seagate that I can't access data, it is about the same age.  Someday I'll look into that.  I think my son's entire Beatles collection is on it, that he had loaded on an ipod for me in 2012 or so.

So, do you need to buy backup software first?  

Yeah, I don't know how important it is for me to keep this machine, but I suppose I could still do FaceBook, etc.  Attached is the msinfo file you requested.

Thanks again.

msinfo 200115.txt

The new external drives come typically with backup software.  The Western Digital do for sure.  And I bet so does Seagate.

I listed before for you the link to Macrium which has free version.

This hardware has this micro-processor on the systemboard

Intel Pentium CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

I cant tell what year it came out.

The RAM memory is 4 GB  ( 4 gigabytes ) which is ok,  but very near the actual minimum recommended.

You can add more RAM on the systemboard if you wanted to.

This Microsoft page lists the minimum hardware required for Windows 10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#primaryR2

In other words, I'll be donating this away.  Good to know. 

I can't believe my Dad's computer had Windows 10 installed because that desktop is pretty old.  I'll focus on Dad's computer now.  It runs, but extremely slow.  Any suggestions on where to start with that computer?

Thank you

On that last machine, you can consider an attempt to setup Windows 10 as a totally new / clean install   ( ie, NOT keeping any files or apps)

by using a USB made with the Microsoft Windows Media Creation tool,   having the BIOS boot from that USB  to kick off that new Windows 10 clean install.

Remember my suggestion to first have saved all personal files & documents elsewhere.

Which one is your Dad's machine ?   was it one of those we already looked at ?

I would like to have you run a report tool known as FRST. This has no personal information. It is a well-known & widely used &safe.
FRST will help provide me with a list of installed programs and other information about your computer that will help me see if there are any other problems that are not being detected. Please follow the steps below to run FRST.

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 32-Bit version Windows"

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Run report with FRST

Right-click on FRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Maurice,

On the laptop that only has 4G RAM, I have no need for updating it.  I am a single person and have a "newer" laptop, tablet and smartphone. :)  Is there anything in particular I should do to wipe the drive?  I have my documents/photos/videos transferred to the laptop that has Windows 10.  I will donate it after I make sure my information is no longer on it.

Attached are the two files you requested.  Working on my Dad's PC now.  Immediately, it gave me various "alerts" and app notifications.  I changed Windows settings to disable. 

This computer has that Avast anti-virus and other Avast programs.  Should I uninstall yet?

Thanks for your help!!

Julie

Addition.txt FRST.txt

To wipe the laptop,   you can do a "factory restore" operation  using the manufacturer's procedure for doing the factory restore.

If that is Asus, check with the Asus support website.  https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Most all manufacturers keep a partition on the disc drive for the purpose of factory restore.

Thanks for the FRST reports.  This pc is running  Windows 10 Home Version 1903 18362.535 (X64)

Is Avast paid for ?  or is it the free ?

I typically do not prefer Avast or AVG because they add-on other applets like Avast Driver Updater  & or some "tune-up" applet  which tend to cause interference.

Separately from that,  if using Avast and it is not fully up to date .....that can cause some interference with Windows Update.

Let me know if you intend to keep Avast.

You should know that Windows 10 comes pre-built with Windows Defender antivirus,  which is a very good, powerful antivirus.

The Windows 10 Windows Defender is not the same Windows Defender from olden days of XP, Vista or Windows 7.

Maurice,

The Avast was free, then Dad signed up for a "free trial", but sister cancelled that in the last month or so.  Yes, you mentioned Windows Defender is the way to go when I was working on Mom's computer.  So, yes I do want to uninstall Avast from his computer.

How does everything else look?

Thank you,

Maurice,

About my old computer...So the Asus link didn't get me far.  I don't think I have a recovery partition, and I did buy this second hand through Newegg I believe.  I know when it arrived, there was a notice to make recovery disks because it did not have a recovery partition.  

After I couldn't locate information on ASUS tonight, I searched online and found the information listed below.  I do have the recovery disks that I created when the computer first arrived to me.  Could you tell me how to proceed?  With instructions below from https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/386869/Resetting+to+factory+Condition?  Or another way?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Asus Recovery key is F9 while at the POST as stated here http://smallbusiness.chron.com/restore-a...

If this doesn't work then most likely the computer doesn't have a recovery partition. You can check by using Windows disk manager.

1. Click start
  2. Right Click on Computer
  3. Click Manage
  4. Click Disk Management on the left hand side.
  5. Most of the time your system drive will be Disk 0
  6. There should be a partition label Recovery and should be around 10 to 20GB's in size.

If you don't see a recovery partition then you will need to download a Windows 7 ISO image. I have linked a Windows 7 All In One (All versions of Windows 7) ISO below.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating...

You can use rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/ to make a bootable USB.

I hope this helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you,

Hi.

I am attempting to focus on just one machine at a time.   Otherwise, its real easy to lose focus / concentration.

On that old ASUS machine:

a ) No idea what you have on the "recovery disc".   You should look to see what is on that.

b)  the info you copied gave the directions on looking visually to see if the Asus  has a factory "Recovery" partition.

:

You can check by using Windows disk manager.

1. Click start
  2. Right Click on Computer
  3. Click Manage
  4. Click Disk Management on the left hand side.
  5. Most of the time your system drive will be Disk 0.    But look real close.   How many partitions are there besides the one for Windows ?
  6. There may be a partition label Recovery     and   it should be several Gigabytes in size.

NOTE:  I do not personally recommend getting a Windows 7 ISO  that is not directly from Microsoft.

P.S.  Your goal on the old machine is  ( it seems)   basically like the post at Microsoft Answers

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-wipe-everything-off-a-hard-drive-except/45792b3e-fc2e-4bd1-a8c5-aec35b169da0

Note their advice there is also for a factory reset operation.

There is perhaps anther way to wipe that old machine & not have to resort to a factory restore.

a)  Go into the Windows Control Panel >> Add or remove Programs.

Uninstall all  the add-on user programs you had on it.

B}  Look real close on all Documents folders, Picture folders, etc

and delete all your personal files.

C ]  Be sure all email stores are deleted.

D ]  Use the methods outlined in this article   

How to securely overwrite deleted files with a built-in Windows tool

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2464163/how-to-securely-overwrite-deleted-files-with-a-built-in-windows-tool.html

Thanks, I'll look into that machine later.  Going to shut it down until later this week.  Next up, Dad's computer.  Tomorrow, should I go ahead an uninstall Avast?

Yes, uninstall Avast.   Then later, check to see that the Windows 10 '  Windows Defender is on.

Start >  Settings >  Update and Security  >  click Windows Security

click Open Windows Security.   Take a look.

I seem to recall you mentioned some machine was "slow".

Please know that a slow condition can be due to non-infection factors.

See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2746761/how-to-speed-up-your-slow-computer

See Miekiemoes blog article on slow computer situation

https://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html

also, at Bleepingcomputer

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

Maurice,

I have uninstalled Avast from Dad's computer.  I also verified Windows Defender is working.

It was all kinds of funky when I started the machine.  I had the computer off and had the ethernet unplugged, but when I started it tonight there was a striped pattern on the screen and screen was pink when I opened a browser.  Before reading the links you gave me on computers running slow, I went back to the other topic you helped me with a week ago, and followed the instructions to turn off notifications for browsers.   

In the snips below, you will note the popup that appeared, and stayed on the screen when I switched the view to the browser.  You will also note that there was no MS Edge in the settings screen, for me to toggle notifications off.

What next?

Thank you, Julie

Instructions per Link.png

No MS Edge.png

BTW, the screen was pink even before I uninstalled Avast.  Screen doesn't appear pink anymore, so just the missing MS Edge from settings and the popup "Dell DataSafe Local Backup".

I have Windows 10 build 1909   ( November 2019 Windows 10 ).

My notifications settings section looks like the following   Note the line to select Sort by.   If you see that, click and select sort by NAME.

Edge should be listed as Microsoft Edge.

image.thumb.png.0b187488ad3c082e4ef91a6122dca969.png

You can also manage the notifications on a site-by-site basis in Edge  itself:

Start Edge browser

• Click the three dots button ( icon )  in the top-right corner and select Settings.
  • Scroll down and click on View advanced settings.
  • Under Website permissionsclick on Manage Permissions.
  • Here, you can switch notifications off for a specific website.

You can set notifications off on a site by site basis.

You may press Clear all to get the whole list removed, if you so wish.

You should also do this, in Edge.   Click the Privacy & Security section.   ( the padlock icon)

Look under Security.   Click to the right ( to turn On)  Block pop-ups.

Maurice,

In looking at the specs of Dad's PC, I'm wondering if it would be better to get him a different PC.  You had told me that on my old laptop, the 4G RAM was not enough to run Windows 10.  That is how much RAM is on this machine too.  I ran the msinfo and attached the report below.  

If that is the case, I think it would be best for me to get their photos transferred onto USB or hard drive and proceed with purchasing a different computer as well as doing a factory restore on this one.  BTW, could the version 1903 and the pink screen be signs that Windows 10 is not functioning properly?

Thank you, Julie

Log 200120 MSinfo.txt

Hi Julie.

4 GB RAM   ( and providing the micro-processor on system board qualifies) actually does qualify to run Windows 10.  I had just inserted my view that it would be better if it had more RAM if only because the system micro was a early Intel Pentium model.

You may still try to get Windows 10 onto it.

Ed Bott at ZDNET  has just put out a new article on getting the Windows 10 upgrade for free  https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

On your last question:  A pink display is more than likely some glitch   ( which may be temporary) from the display driver for the display  monitor  or perhaps, the graphics card.

The MSINFO is for a Dell that is apparently running on the Windows 10 build 1903   64-bit

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home    
Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362    

Use the EDGE browser to go to the Windows Update catalog site  https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4524569

to get the build 1903  x64 bit   "service stack update"

since your machine is 64 bit,   you want the 5th   ( fifth) item listed on the link above.

Getting the service stack update is a good first step forward.

Click the Download link  /   save it to your system  /next open the file to start the update process.

Then later,  you can go about getting the Windows 10  build 1909    ( the so-called November 2019 update ).

to upgrade to the Windows 10 build 1909 ( or November 2019 build).  You should be able to manually get it thru Windows Update. 
It may take repeated tries with Windows Update till your pc is able to see that Update.  You should make a try each day, from here on out, till you see it offered. 
The suggestion I have is to go to the Start menu, click the Windows Settings icon. Select Update & Security.  Click on Windows Update. 
The Windows Update ( eventually) will have a display like this when it shows up. 
Note that the display will show the new build in a new way, in the middle of the display.  You will need to click on the blue line marked "Download and install now"  when ready. 

image.png.e3e8d889fe4106af43e0de32fb3d5183.png

Getting that Windows build update will put this pc in a better position for a more secure operating system. 

Maurice,

See attached snip.  Update 1909 failed.  

Also, screen only goes pink when a browser is open.  Otherwise, looks normal with a blue background.  Still have that Dell Data Safe backup popup.  I read something online about Dell discontinuing that app, and another site had some kind of virus/malware, etc associated with Dell Data Safe.  Not sure if either article was credible.  Just find it curious that screen is not pink at other times?

Thank you

Update failed 200122.png

On the pink thing,  which browser was that ?   Is there a different browser you can use ?

On the failed MS Windows update:

This procedure will use the Windows System File Checker tool  ( SFC ).

Open an elevated command prompt window i.e. run Command Prompt as an administrator .
It is best to use the Windows Copy ( CTRL+ C )  and paste  ( CTRL+V )  for the whole line, as-is
To Get the elevated command prompt, press Windows-key + X key  and then selected Command prompt ( Admin )
On that command prompt,  Copy & Paste this command
sfc /scannow

Let it run til it finishes.   Have patience.

Next, lets get a report

Please start the Windows File Explorer  and go to the folder  C:\Windows\Logs\CBS
You will find the log-file CBS.log
with your mouse, click it one time so it has focus on the file.   Then do a right-click with the mouse on CBS.log and select "Send to Compressed Files folder".
It will show a message to the effect that the zip file will be created on the DESKTOP.
Proceed with the selection.   When done,  CBS.zip will be on Desktop.
Please attach the CBS.zip file with your reply.
Thank you.