sman

Google to Windows 7 users: Chrome support will run until at least July 2021

You'd have to ask them, but likely for the same reason that Microsoft encourages everyone to upgrade to the latest OS (at least when not simply seeking for their own financial gain); to get users on the latest and (theoretically) most secure OS.  Of course they would not consider that there are edge cases such as my own where I am likely able to keep Windows 7 in a more secure state than Windows 10 will ever be, regardless of what patches might be released for it.

I think this sums it up. tks. And today being the D-day, only wait& watch from now on.

I just got my new system today too, so perfect timing :)

Windows 7 is up and running and humming along nicely.  I just have a few more things to set up (Steam, my games etc.) and I'll be all set.  I've already got it patched up and locked down with all of my tweaks, mods and security tools running and configured.

display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fca3vv0y0mra41.jpg

RIP Windows 7 Memes

RIP WINDOWS 7 MEMES

"https://stayhipp.com/internet/memes/rip-windows-7-memes/"

FYI for anyone who has chosen to abandon Windows 7 for Windows 10.  Apparently Windows 10 suffers from a new critical vulnerability that impacts digital signature validation and cryptography (the tech that allows you to validate the source of a file and the tech that keeps your communications encrypted/safe from snoopers).

According to Microsoft, neither Windows 7 or 8/8.1 are affected.

Remember what I was saying about 7 being inherently more secure than 10, regardless of patches ;)?

I kid, but it does make you wonder; why does such a weakness exist in Microsoft's new code, and why aren't earlier Windows versions affected?  I wonder what they might have changed to result in this vulnerability existing in 10 and the latest versions of Windows Server.

This doesn't mean that earlier versions of Win10 are bug proof, then no patches to it will will ever be reqd. But sadly, it's not so.. So, csn't take anything for granted. Maybe as the latest WIn 10 is having some teething problems than earlier versions and problems ironed out over time.Let's hope that there are no critical bugs in earlier versions esp. Win 7 to be exploited with EOL..

Just off topic. I am streaming / watching a TV series on SBS (Australia) named 'Valley Of The Boom'. Think it was produced National Geographic in the US as I was unable to view it (Geo Block). Brings back a lot of memories for oldies (me) - Netscape & Microsoft battle in Silicon Valley. 🤣

you can watch all the six series in Hotstar.. "https://www.hotstar.com/in/tv/valley-of-the-boom/s-1972/print-hello-world/1000228838". maybe also in Prime video.

ya. netscape a old rivalry. but faded after windows bloom & chrome, FF started making a mark.

@sman, no go there as it also geo blocked. No problem as my ISP gives me 500gb per month at AUD$59.90. 🤣 DL is 12mbs UL is 1mbs. So no worries. stream to PC and then to 43in. flat screen HD  TV.  👍