OldMainframeGuy

System instability after last Malwarebytes update

You also need to disable the options for Malwarebytes to automatically download and install application component updates and for notifying you when full version updates are available.  Both options can be found under the Settings>Application tab.  Once those two options are disabled, follow the instructions from the linked support article to disable self-protection and delete the instlrupdate folder if it exists, restart Malwarebytes (quit Malwarebytes via the tray menu and then launch Malwarebytes again) and the issue should be resolved.  You can remain on V3 without any notifications about V4 and without it recreating the instlrupdate folder.

Exile:   Thank you; the tech note just indicates to turn off " Notify me when full version updates are available."   Will disabling component updates disable downloads of any new malware signatures?

16 minutes ago, OldMainframeGuy said:

Will disabling component updates disable downloads of any new malware signatures?

No it wont.

3 hours ago, OldMainframeGuy said:

Exile:   Thank you; the tech note just indicates to turn off " Notify me when full version updates are available."   Will disabling component updates disable downloads of any new malware signatures?

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

No it wont.

Correct, you will still receive all signature/database updates, so you won't have to worry about that.  Just please be sure to upgrade to the latest version of Malwarebytes as soon as you can once this issue is resolved as version 4 includes many enhancements to the detection and protection capabilities built into Malwarebytes meaning that, even with fully updated signatures, v3 still is not at all capable of detecting as many threats and attacks as version 4 is because there have been a lot of changes under the hood since version 3.8.3 was released.

Exile:   I will definitely install version 4 when this is settled; I was on version 4 when I suddenly started having the weird network and BSOD issues.   I don't want to stay on version 3 forever but I'm kind of neurotic about BSODs.    😊

Rob

Yeah, I hear you.  BSOD's frankly terrify me, and I've been a PC repair tech for years, so I know how to fix PC's.  I've seen too many corrupted operating systems and even the occasional hardware failure (though rare in the case of the latter) due to BSOD's/crashes, so I don't blame you at all for wanting to avoid them.  Thankfully it looks like the Devs finally have a handle on this issue so it should be resolved in their next upcoming release, at least according to most of the users who were impacted by the BSOD issue who have tested it so far.  Hopefully this will be the case for you as well so that you can upgrade to the latest without having to worry about your system crashing.

When is the fixed version of 4.0 going to be available. We have had to disabled/uninstall Malwarebytes on many machines to prevent constant crashes. Considering we a paying for a premium licence this is not acceptable.

I think this has been fixed in the latest update to 4.0.4.   I reinstalled 4.0.4, clicked on "Check for updates" and I haven't had any problems since.

The original reported issue should be fixed now. The latest beta has also a few other reported issues. Once some more testing has been completed I'm sure we'll push out a new program update. In the meantime if you are having any issues please make sure you have the latest updates.

image.png