straffin

Launch an MBIR scan from the command line?

Hello! I'm looking for a way to have Read-Only users of the Malwarebytes Cloud Console initiate a scan remotely. Until Malwarebytes creates a way to do so through the console itself (a "Read-Only + Scan" rights level would be perfect), I imagine I'll need to come up with something myself. Is there a way to initiate such a scan via script? I've searched for information about MBCloudEA.exe command line options, but I've not found much. Thanks!

Hello @straffin

I see that you had some questions regarding having users initiate a scan.  If you have the tray icon enabled, they can do so by right-clicking the Malwarebytes Tray icon and selecting Run scan.  Please see the screenshot below.

Warm Regards,

start threat scan.png

Thanks for the response!

I understand how to initiate a scan while at the targeted device (using the tray icon as you outlined above), but that's not what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is a method to launch a scan via the command line. This would allow a Read-Only user of the Malwarebytes Cloud Console, who cannot select the Scan button in the Console to initiate a scan remotely, to use some other remote management tool to launch a script that starts a scan.

Thanks, though!

Hello @straffin

If you are looking for command line scanning, you might be interested in Malwarebytes Breach Remediation which is a command line scanning utility.  Please see the link below for information on how to use the tool.  Please note that scans run from MBBR will only display the results locally, and that information will not be pushed to the cloud console.

MBBR Admin Guide: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1715

Warm Regards,

Thank you again for your response. 

I also understand about how and when to use Malwarebytes Breach Remediation. This also is not what I'm looking for. 

I am looking for information about launching a traditional, cloud-based scan on a computer with the Malwarebytes Cloud Endpoint Agent installed, without using the tray icon or the Scan button in the console. I've read elsewhere that the Endpoint Agent is just a control mechanism for the actual scanner (EAcmd.exe). I am hoping that there is some way to locally trigger EAcmd in the same way that MBCloudEA does. I've seen that MBCloudEA has command line arguments (like -accounttoken) and was hoping that there was one for my need.

Thanks again.

Hello @straffin

Unfortunately, there is not a method to run cloud based scans through the command line.  The only command line utility for running scans would be the MBBR Utility which you mentioned you are familiar with above.

Warm Regards,