It may be worth noting I run AdGuard Premium (currently 7.3) on my machines as well, along with MalwareBytes Premium.

I just came across this article about people stating conflicts between AdGuard and Malwarebytes. https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/malwarebytes-web-protection-blocks-the-adguard-web-assistant.36914/

Specifically, look at post #17 where the user posts screenshots and shows they have to disable MWB Web Protection in order for AdGuard to fully function, or disable AdGuard for MWB to fully function, including Web Protection. https://forum.adguard.com/index.php?threads/malwarebytes-web-protection-blocks-the-adguard-web-assistant.36914/post-196082

Is it possible AdGuard Premium conflicts with MWB Premium now? I never had an issue running both together for well over a year before early in this year when I first posted.

Perhaps this info will help in some way?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a conflict is possible as I believe AdGuard uses the same WFP APIs that Web Protection in Malwarebytes uses, however given Porthos' experience there may be an additional variable.  That said, I would be curious to know if removing AdGuard and restarting your system makes any difference for this issue or not, if you are willing to test it of course.

13 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Yes, a conflict is possible as I believe AdGuard uses the same WFP APIs that Web Protection in Malwarebytes uses, however given Porthos' experience there may be an additional variable.  That said, I would be curious to know if removing AdGuard and restarting your system makes any difference for this issue or not, if you are willing to test it of course.

Well, I would like to hear back from MWB to see if the conflict shows up in my logs or not. I've submitted at least three different sets over the last couple months, so I would assume something should show up.

I would be happy to test, but I really, really like AdGuard, and prefer not to disable it, or uninstall it, unless absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't ask you to keep it removed, just briefly to test then of course you may reinstall and continue to use it.  I'd just like to know if it helps or not since you mentioned it.

Just for clarification, I am using the full AdGuard Premium version (version 7.3), not just the web extension. The full version of AdGuard runs against all applications on the computer, not just the web browsers, just like MWB Premium does.

2 minutes ago, exile360 said:

I wouldn't ask you to keep it removed, just briefly to test then of course you may reinstall and continue to use it.  I'd just like to know if it helps or not since you mentioned it.

Instead of uninstalling, could I just disable AdGuard, and make sure it isn't enabled on boot up, then reboot and re-enable MWB Web Protection? Would that work?

I also have the AdGuard web extension running in Chrome as well, which is separate. Would I need to disable the AdGuard AdBlocker too?

Thank you for your time.

It's worth a shot, however I don't know if that will keep AdGuard's WFP driver from loading too (that's how it guards all applications on your system, just like Malwarebytes does, through hooking into WFP via such a driver).

You shouldn't need to touch the browser extension component.

1 minute ago, exile360 said:

It's worth a shot, however I don't know if that will keep AdGuard's WFP driver from loading too (that's how it guards all applications on your system, just like Malwarebytes does, through hooking into WFP via such a driver).

You shouldn't need to touch the browser extension component.

Ok, thanks. I will try disabling AdGuard first, then rebooting and re-enabling MWB We Protection. If that doesn't test well, I will go ahead and uninstall AdGuard Premium from my system, then re-enable MWB Web Protection.

I will work on this later this morning after my morning meetings.

Would excluding AdGuard in Malwarebytes and doing the same with ADguard assuming they have an exclusion list help. Worth a shot if you wish to use both.

The same has to be done with some AV programs.

It might, but since you can't exclude the driver itself from Web Protection plus the fact that it is likely a collision of drivers causing the issue (at least that's my theory), excluding its process probably would not help.

5 minutes ago, exile360 said:

but since you can't exclude the driver itself from Web Protection

I am guessing if we knew the name of the driver it might be possible.

2020-04-20_09h39_53.png

9 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Does it allow excluding .sys files?  I thought it only allowed selecting executables.

Don't know. Never had the need to.

We have a lot of new ideas bouncing around. I am certainly willing to try testing these new ideas. 

Which do you want me to try first? The idea of uninstalling AdGuard Premium, then enabling MWB Premium? If so, I 'suppose' I can live with ads back in my YouTube videos while I test. ;) I'm spoiled on all the ads being blocked in YouTube with AdGuard. :)

Just now, EvilPeppard said:

I 'suppose' I can live with ads back in my YouTube videos while I test. ;) I'm spoiled on all the ads being blocked in YouTube with AdGuard.

I have not seen an AD on YouTube in forever only using Ublock. And I spend a lot of time on YouTube.

I've gone ahead and fully uninstalled AdGuard Premium, and the AdGuard AdBlock extension in Chrome.

I have re-enabled MWB Premium Web Protection and installed the MWB Chrome extension.

I will report back on how things operate.

Hello @ajotasan

We would like you try something to check if this resolves the BSOD.

You have Kaspersky Total Security installed along with Malwarebytes. Is it possible to turn off Kaspersky temporarily and check if you still encounter the BSOD's.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Hello @EvilPeppard

Thank you for your extended patience in testing and reporting back with Malwarebytes.

Your BSOD related defect is still being worked on and is not fixed. We hope to have it fixed with the next CU release.

Apologies for the issues you are seeing.

I will bring this up to the team again.

1 hour ago, nikhils said:

Hello @EvilPeppard

Thank you for your extended patience in testing and reporting back with Malwarebytes.

Your BSOD related defect is still being worked on and is not fixed. We hope to have it fixed with the next CU release.

Apologies for the issues you are seeing.

I will bring this up to the team again.

Many thanks. Glad to help.

I've been following the BSOD posts for quite awhile, and have my Malwarebytes app turned off. What is the current status, and how will I know when a stable version is available for download and use ? 

Greetings,

It depends greatly on the cause of the issue because many of the recent BSODs have already been fixed in recent releases and only a few known cases remain, including the ones discussed in this thread.  If you have not installed the latest release yet and tested it to see if it resolves your BSOD issues, I would highly recommend doing so.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and navigate to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right area then scroll down to the bottom where it mentions beta updates and enable the option there, clicking to confirm that you want to install beta updates when prompted.  Next, scroll back to the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button and allow Malwarebytes to download and install any available updates then restart your computer and test to verify that the issue has been resolved.

The latest version should show Malwarebytes version 4.1.0.56, Component package version 1.0.875 under the About tab in settings as shown below:

Version.png.8ad22b3007ffefb6cb6f371fa90f3ac4.png

Please let us know how it goes and if the BSOD issue still persists or not.

Thanks

5 hours ago, nikhils said:

Hello @ajotasan

We would like you try something to check if this resolves the BSOD.

You have Kaspersky Total Security installed along with Malwarebytes. Is it possible to turn off Kaspersky temporarily and check if you still encounter the BSOD's.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Ok. I will try it out. Only give me some time, I must install MB again and now isn't a good moment, I must finish something here. I will try as soon as possible.

21 hours ago, EvilPeppard said:

I've gone ahead and fully uninstalled AdGuard Premium, and the AdGuard AdBlock extension in Chrome.

I have re-enabled MWB Premium Web Protection and installed the MWB Chrome extension.

I will report back on how things operate.

Just a small update. I've been operating in this mode with no issues for almost 24 hours. This would by far be the longest I have gone without BSOD.

I am continuing to monitor, but I am feeling like there really was a conflict with AdGuard Premium and MWB Premium's Web Protection.

I will report back again soon as more time passes.