mwac.sys BSoD

I did install up to the last working version of Malwarebytes 4. I turned on the button to accept Beta releases. When the first beta update installed I got BSODs again, Only then did I give up. I gave Malwarebytes every chance to work because I had 11 months left of my subscription. The whole experience involved many hours and a total nightmare. I expect more from a software company.

OK, better news. I downloaded the latest release from the My Account page. When I attempted to do a standard install it stopped during the install and restarted my machine twice more with the error message that Malwarebytes could not install on my computer. I put that phrase into a Google search and discovered a forum posting that referred to the Malwarebytes Support Tool. I downloaded that and ran a repair even though pop ups were telling me Malwarebytes failed to install. It took awhile but this support tool finally got finished and invited me to install the latest release. A miracle - - it finally installed. I turned on Web protection. It has not crashed and it is performing its first system scan. When I am sure it is all working correctly, I'll provide an update. Right now it is working side-by-side with BitDefender. Next year I'll have to make a decision as to which to keep or keep both. I have been a Malwarebytes custome for a lot of years. I really wanted this to work.

On 2/4/2020 at 4:28 PM, nikhils said:

Hello @MikeT1948

We do apologize for the time it took to fix the issue.

It's all fixed up now with the latest released build.

Best wishes.

Hi Nikhil -

Can you please explain what is the "latest release build". I'm still experiencing BSODs and cannot run with Real Time Protection Enabled.

I tried 804 and got a BSOD almost immediately. I checked for updates and it went to 810, which is the crash I posted last Tuesday.

Today, I checked for updates again and am now running

4.0.4.49   1.0.18836   1.0.810

Still getting the BSOD. Crash info attached.

thanks!

WhoCrashed.docx mbst-grab-results.zip

BSOD is still happening. Just happened to me again this morning. Who Crashed shows MWB as the culprit, just like before:

On Fri 2/7/2020 8:46:09 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020720-15953-01.dmp
uptime: 22:14:13
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x11E9F)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80240E9EF47, 0xFFFFC40611639310, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mwac.sys
product: Malwarebytes Web Protection
company: Malwarebytes
description: Malwarebytes Web Protection
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Protection, Malwarebytes).
Google query: mwac.sys Malwarebytes SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

MWB version: 4.0.4.49

Update package version: 1.0.18838

Component package version: 1.0.810

Yes I am opted in for the Beta program.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

5 minutes ago, EvilPeppard said:

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Please do the following so that we may investigate this issue:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Also,

Could you also zip and attach this file C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020720-15953-01.dmp

If too large, use a service like www.wetransfer.com and post a link

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Please do the following so that we may investigate this issue:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Also,

Could you also zip and attach this file C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020720-15953-01.dmp

If too large, use a service like www.wetransfer.com and post a link

Here you go.

Let me know how else I can help.

020720-15953-01.zip

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thank you for the data, @chuckstanley. We're reviewing it currently.
Can you provide details on what you're typically doing when the BSOD occurs? Is there a particular set of actions that typically trigger it or is it random?

Logs indicate you have BitDefender installed along with leftovers from Kaspersky. This may be a contributing factor.
Please start by running the Kaspersky removal tool and rebooting the machine: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/uninstall/1464

Afterwards, could you try temporarily uninstalling BitDefender, rebooting and then checking if the BSODs persist with Web Protection enabled?

-----

@EvilPeppard Thank you as well. Could you provide us with the full memory dump at C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp as well please?

Edited by LiquidTension

4 minutes ago, EvilPeppard said:

Let me know how else I can help.

Thanks for your continued support. Until staff gets a look at your logs, I see that you are running 2 AV programs. That could be contributing to your issues.

Anti-Virus Product :     Symantec Endpoint Protection
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    Off
Anti-Virus Product :     LogMeIn Antivirus Antimalware
    Up To Date:    Yes    Enabled:    On

17 minutes ago, LiquidTension said:

Can you provide details on what you're typically doing when the BSOD occurs? Is there a particular set of actions that typically trigger it or is it random?

@EvilPeppard Thank you as well. Could you provide us with the full memory dump at C:\Windows\MEMORY.dmp as well please?

Oops, sorry I forgot the Memory.dmp. Here is the WeTransfer link: https://we.tl/t-JmiGCGf3ND

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Thanks for your continued support. Until staff gets a look at your logs, I see that you are running 2 AV programs. That could be contributing to your issues.

I actually am only running the LogMeIn antivirus on this computer. I used to have Symantec Installed, but uninstalled it when we moved to LMI. I even double checked my installed Programs and Symantec is no longer listed. I also do not have the 'Symantec Shield' in the system tray.

Let me know what else you need from me. Thank you for all the assistance so we can get this resolved.

FYI, I have exited MalwareBytes until I get further direction so the crashes stop.

5 minutes ago, EvilPeppard said:

I actually am only running the LogMeIn antivirus on this computer.

Since I have not used that product I will give you some general advice for exclusions between MB and you AV.

I would recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and LMI AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to LMI AV's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add LMI AV program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

Edited by Porthos

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Since I have not used that product I will give you some general advice for exclusions between MB and you AV.

I would recommend creating exclusions between Malwarebytes and LMI AV to help prevent any possible conflicts or performance issues.  Please add the items listed in this support article to LMI AV's allow list(s)/trust list(s)/exclusion list(s) particularly for any of its real-time protection components and likewise add LMI AV program folder(s) (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) to Malwarebytes' Allow List using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for its primary data folder which is likely located under C:\ProgramData (you may need to show hidden files and folders to see it).

Ok, I will review your articles while I wait for a fix.

FYI, I have been using LMI for over a year now with no issues with my MWB on my work computer. I started experiencing BSOD with MWB on my work computer, and both home computers starting 1/13/202. Neither of my home computers use LMI antivirus, only Windows Defender on Windows 10 version 1909.

Thank you.

1 minute ago, EvilPeppard said:

Ok, I will review your articles while I wait for a fix.

FYI, I have been using LMI for over a year now with no issues with my MWB on my work computer. I started experiencing BSOD with MWB on my work computer, and both home computers starting 1/13/202. Neither of my home computers use LMI antivirus, only Windows Defender on Windows 10 version 1909.

Thank you.

Could you also turn on MB but keep web protection off and report the results.

1 hour ago, LiquidTension said:

Logs indicate you have BitDefender installed along with leftovers from Kaspersky. This may be a contributing factor.
Please start by running the Kaspersky removal tool and rebooting the machine: https://support.kaspersky.com/common/uninstall/1464

Afterwards, could you try temporarily uninstalling BitDefender, rebooting and then checking if the BSODs persist with Web Protection enabled?

-----

In this particular case, I had several browsers open with multiple windows open in each browser. I was not at the computer when the BSOD occurred. In the past, the BSOD occurred while I was accessing websites.

I will remove Kaspersky and BitDefender and let you know.

thank you.