• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello @lcfx_lain Can you please send us the following dump files: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP                 

Hello again.  A new beta was just released which includes fixes for some BSOD issues.  To install it, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then scro

Posted Images

• Staff

Hello @Angello89

You have a couple of minidump files. Can you please send those over to us for review.

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122520-13218-01.dmp [created:12/25/2020  22:17]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122620-13781-01.dmp [created:12/26/2020  01:47]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122620-14328-01.dmp [created:12/26/2020  14:34]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122620-14125-01.dmp [created:12/26/2020  19:07]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122620-13437-01.dmp [created:12/26/2020  20:05]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122720-13843-01.dmp [created:12/27/2020  13:24]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122820-16015-01.dmp [created:12/28/2020  00:05]
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\122820-13843-01.dmp [created:12/28/2020  19:39]

Thank you.

Just wanted to add my experience with this.

In December, I purchased a new PC from BestBuy with CyberPowerPC as the manufacturer.  I installed everything that I normally install but right off the bat I was getting BSODs.  With the "WhoCrashed" application, I was able to analyze what caused the crash and apparently it was a conflict between mwac.sys and tcpip.sys.

This kept happening and I tried everything I could to fix that issue but I assumed it was the issue with the PC itself so I returned it.

I, instead, opted to build my own PC for the first time ever and it went really well.  Been running smoothly for a couple weeks now until 10 minutes ago where I had a BSOD.  I activated WhoCrashed again and it looks like the same exact thing that happened to the CyberPowerPC prebuilt is happening to this completely different build with different hardware components.

On Mon 1/4/2021 4:49:12 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: mwac.sys (mwac+0x153C3)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80012810897, 0xFFFFEF8353456410, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\mwac.sys
product: Malwarebytes Web Protection
company: Malwarebytes
description: Malwarebytes Web Protection
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: mwac.sys (Malwarebytes Web Protection, Malwarebytes).
Google query: mwac.sys Malwarebytes SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

On Mon 1/4/2021 4:49:12 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010421-9859-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: tcpip.sys (0xFFFFF80012810897)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80012810897, 0xFFFFEF8353456410, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TCP/IP Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

1 hour ago, AdmJawa said:

I, instead, opted to build my own PC for the first time ever and it went really well.  Been running smoothly for a couple weeks now until 10 minutes ago where I had a BSOD.  I activated WhoCrashed again and it looks like the same exact thing that happened to the CyberPowerPC prebuilt is happening to this completely different build with different hardware components.

If you are using PIA still, that is the issue. Malwarebytes is not compatible.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051090194

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

If you are using PIA still, that is the issue. Malwarebytes is not compatible.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051090194

Does it matter if PIA is running or not?  I rarely use the desktop client.  I run on on SOCKS5 when torrenting directly in the app and even that isn't being used often.

PIA is usually inactive/off but it's in the QuickLaunch.

Also, I've been using PIA and MB for years.  This literally only started when I bought the new PC a few weeks ago.

41 minutes ago, AdmJawa said:

Does it matter if PIA is running or not?

PIA is usually inactive/off but it's in the QuickLaunch.

Also, I've been using PIA and MB for years.  This literally only started when I bought the new PC a few weeks ago.

Yes, because even when it isn't loaded/running, PIA still has its drivers/WFP filters active which are the components conflicting with Malwarebytes.  New capabilities added in recent versions of Malwarebytes have resulted in incompatibility with several other web filtering tools, including PIA which is why you didn't have issues previously but now do.  The hardware and other installed software could also be factors, but there are known issues with PIA as explained in the support article linked to by Porthos above.  Sometimes you can get lucky and not encounter a known conflict, but the reason PIA was added to the list was due to the fact that we've frequently been seeing conflicts with PIA and Malwarebytes.

6 hours ago, exile360 said:

Yes, because even when it isn't loaded/running, PIA still has its drivers/WFP filters active which are the components conflicting with Malwarebytes.  New capabilities added in recent versions of Malwarebytes have resulted in incompatibility with several other web filtering tools, including PIA which is why you didn't have issues previously but now do.  The hardware and other installed software could also be factors, but there are known issues with PIA as explained in the support article linked to by Porthos above.  Sometimes you can get lucky and not encounter a known conflict, but the reason PIA was added to the list was due to the fact that we've frequently been seeing conflicts with PIA and Malwarebytes.

Thx for info.  Sucks that there's these incompatibilities.  I did have a chat with PIA and their fix was to whitelist a bunch of PIA-related stuff (can't remember which exact things at the moment) but it made me weary.  I'm not a tech expert but if I have PIA on and all my traffic is going through PIA then white-listing a bunch of stuff from them seemed counterintuitive to protection.  Plus, I read others' experience in white-listing the same PIA stuff but it was ineffective.  Basically they are blaming MB and vice versa.  Is MB working on anything to resolve the issue?

How risky do you think it is to disable Web Protection on MB since, at least based on previous replies, it's preventing BSODs?  Is MB working on a fix?

It seems that it may have to come down to me needing to look elsewhere for a program that will work whether it's MB or PIA.

I'm not sure if exclusions would work around the issue or not, but it doesn't seem likely to me that it would work.  That said, doing so shouldn't reduce your protection in any significant way, I'm just not super confident that exclusions would resolve the BSOD issue, especially since PIA is listed specifically in the support article mentioned above, as generally speaking, if there's a workaround for a conflict, the conflicting app doesn't make it onto the list in that support article.

The Developers are constantly working to address BSODs and other issues, however I don't know what the status of this specific issue is and whether or not fixing it is even possible without compromising some aspects of Malwarebytes' Web Protection; honestly it seems that there are a lot of issues these days with WFP (Windows Filtering Platform; the API/framework used by Web Protection in Malwarebytes; the same one used by the built in Windows Firewall and also being used by PIA and many other solutions) conflicts, particularly in Windows 10, so it may actually be something which needs to be addressed by Microsoft in the OS itself, but I'm not sure.

There is a certain level of risk in disabling Web Protection, however it isn't too significant as long as you install Malwarebytes Browser Guard in your web browser(s) as it blocks the same sites as Web Protection (in addition to also blocking many ads and trackers as well as using more advanced behavior based blocking for tech support scam sites, phishing sites and certain other web based threats) with the only major caveat being that it only shields your browser rather than blocking malicious connections/sites for the entire system the way that Web Protection does.  Of course, the browser is the highest risk application when it comes to malicious sites and servers so the tradeoff isn't as significant as being without any malicious website protection.

One more thing to keep in mind is that Malwarebytes actually has a VPN solution called Malwarebytes Privacy and they offer a free trial if you wish to try it out.  You can learn more about it and download the trial here if you wish.

On 12/30/2020 at 4:02 PM, nikhils said:

Hello @lcfx_lain

We have raised this issue internally and hopefully should have a fix for the same soon.

In the meantime, I would recommend turning off mwac and installing Malwarebytes BrowserGuard: https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard/

Sorry you ran into the issue and thank you for letting us know.

Thanks, I've done that already, please let me know if you have any news about a fix for my BSOD.

Hello again.  A new beta was just released which includes fixes for some BSOD issues.  To install it, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then scroll down to the Beta updates section of the General tab and enable the option to install beta updates, then scroll back to the top and click the Check for updates button to install the update, then restart the system once it finishes and test to see if the issue still occurs.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

• Like 1
On 1/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, exile360 said:

Hello again.  A new beta was just released which includes fixes for some BSOD issues.  To install it, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right, then scroll down to the Beta updates section of the General tab and enable the option to install beta updates, then scroll back to the top and click the Check for updates button to install the update, then restart the system once it finishes and test to see if the issue still occurs.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Thank you for letting us know.  I installed the beta update and will see how everything goes.  I usually went days between BSODs so it might be a few days for an update.  Hopefully this works!