Eps

Malwarebytes ver. 4.04.49

Hi Support,
I was amazed when I was forced to install new version 4.0.4 of Malwarebytes. The last version works fine and menu was intuitional. I made an update to version 4.0 or something... than Malwarebytes blocked my Windows 10. Before thi operation Windows 10 works fine, every software was ok. I didn't have virus, malware etc...
Suddenly after update my Windows 10 stopped worked. I couldn't made any operation I had only option to click start, and option: restart or close :/
THANKS MALWAREBYTES I choose an Windows option recovery point to back to the system before I made this update.
Unfortunately Windows 10 couldn't do that I had errors when I had tried to do that...
MALWAREBYTES forced me to reinstall my Windows 10 it was of course NIGHTMARE...
I spend a lot of time to reinstall my Windows 10 and setup all programs from the beginning etc...
After new Windows 10 installation I didn't know that I will be not able to used none of my installed sofware because MALWAREBYTES will block every one of them.
It was consuming a lot of time when I realized that MALWAREBYTES is blocking my software like:
Adobe Acrobat
ITunes
Microsft Edge
Thunderbird
Evernote
My printer software
My SSD software
I had to add all of them to my exclusion list.
WHY had you released Malwarebytes 4.0 and you test this program on final client? Why did you tested on me? 
I'm your client from years and I had a lot of problems due to I paid and installed your software.
Why you didn't put any warnings that after installation Malwarebytes 4.0 you will have to add almost every Windows Software to the EXCLUSION LIST?

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

7 hours ago, Eps said:

It was consuming a lot of time when I realized that MALWAREBYTES is blocking my software like:

Are you also using Kaspersky or another AV other than Windows Defender?

Hi Porthos,
I have Kaspersky Internet Security and Windows Defender (temproary scanner on). In previous versions I add in Malwarebytes to exclusion list Kaspersky... and made the same with Kaspersky I add Malwarebytes to exclusion list and everything worked perfect. Now its missunderstanding. 

Greetings,

There are known compatibility issues with the latest versions of Kaspersky products.  Please refer to the information in this topic for further details.  Currently Malwarebytes' Developers have reached out to Kaspersky Labs and are working to address the issue, however it is unknown if and when a fix will be available.  For the moment there are workarounds that need to be applied to get the two programs to function together.  Those workarounds are detailed in the topic I linked to, in particular in this post.

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

Hello @Eps   

I regret the trouble you encountered.   I notice that you report that you have Kaspersky Internet Security 

If you are amenable to working with me,  I am of the view that we can get things in much better state if you would work with me and get the very latest Malwarebytes 4 Beta with the very newest component package.   I have the newest one from today  and I also have Kaspersky Internet Security 20.0.14.1085  ( G )

I feel confident that the Thunderbird and Edge browsers will do fine.  Though am surprised that Edge was listed by you as having issues.

Malwarebytes just released a new Beta component which I have today.   I have not have any issues with web browsers today,  whereas before today I pretty much had to have the MB4 ransomware protection off.

SO.....if you would run a report first, I will be happy to work with you.

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.5.3.749.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Cheers.

Maurice

Hello @Eps   

Getting your report would be good.

Also see my last set of replies to  DaNTaF  who also has Kaspersky Internet Security 2020   ( 20.0.14.1085  G  ) 

See all my replies starting here   https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/255399-firefox-no-longer-start/?do=findComment&comment=1354705

It so happens I am in my 3rd day of testing Kaspersky Internet Security 2020   ( 20.0.14.1085  G  ) along with Malwarebytes for Windows Premium 4.0.4.49  on the latest MB beta.

I have all Malwarebytes real-time protections ON.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I have all Malwarebytes real-time protections ON.  

Just to confirm. Are you still having to exclude the browsers etc?

Edited by Porthos

I do have them excluded in Malwarebytes.   I will be taking those entries out.

I also turned off the Kaspersky System Watcher  which is their anti-ransomware.   Reduce potential conflict.

Sorry.  I had to put back the web browsers into the Allow List.  I put back in there Firefox, Chrome & the other 3rd-party browsers.

Except for Edge , which just works.

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Sorry.  I had to put back the web browsers into the Allow List.  I put back in there Firefox, Chrome & the other 3rd-party browsers.

Between you and I, Since I don't and Won't ever use Kaspersky or any other 3rd party AV, I feel that excluding browsers and email programs from Malwarebytes is seriously diminishing the protection of Malwarebytes.

I know that Kaspersky "should" be taking up the slack when MB is neutered like that (to me since I know how MB's ransomware protection works and being off is no big loss) but... Since it is supposed to be a "Kaspersky" issue with the newest updates they should have been able to fix it if they really wanted to. I think they are holding to the policy of there program and nothing else, no exceptions.

Entre nous....

I only have Kaspersky for temporary testing.  One of my curiousities was to find just where there are the means to see trust settings in Kaspersky product.

This test aside,  I normally only have MB4 Premium and Windows Defender on this WIN10 rig.

The suggestions to set the MB antiransomware off is only for a temporary workaround.  The exclusions for web browsers are only as a work-aound as well.

The goal is only to see about helping those folks who are having issues.

The thing is that on this test on my rig I currently do have all MB protections ON.

image.png.d30cf8fe5a4930463ee5507501c4d2a4.png

I need to add,  that my Malwarebytes is on the latest beta.

image.png.f374c59cd14c78ce5feba34a26a85a29.png

It may or may not be a coincidence, but my view is that it is helping in some way.

5 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

but my view is that it is helping in some way

I commend you for "sacrificing" a system and all the time spent to help "band-aid"  this issue.

18 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I normally only have MB4 Premium and Windows Defender on this WIN10 rig.

That is my setup on hundreds of my clients and I can only shout so loud from the highest mountain for people to listen.

Hi Maurice Naggar,
Have you received my zip file?

Hello @Eps   

No,  I do not see any file from you.   What did you send, how, where ?

One further detail needed from you (also).  Hover the mouse pointer over the Kaspersky icon on the Taskbar notification area.  Report back the full name + version number + whether it gas the letter (g)  or letter (h).

Always keep in mind to have lots of patience.  And to keep a open mind on all future advice.  It takes a  lot of patience and effort to get both of Kaspersky 2020  & Malwarebytes 4 Premium to co-exist.

Hi Maurice Naggar,
I have Kaspersky ver 20.0.14.1085 (g)
It's seems I was click on the report post option, strange.
I will try to add my zip file to this message. 

"Patience and effort to get both of Kaspersky 2020  & Malwarebytes 4 Premium to co-exist"
So you mean that they are not working together is it correct?

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi.   Thanks for the support-report file.

What is key is that the pc has Kaspersky Internet Security    Version: 20.0.14.1085 (g)

Kaspersky has several versions.  So it is key to know if someone has Total Security or Internet Security.

The reason I emphasize patience is that it takes a few adjustments in both Kaspersky and in Malwarebytes;   plus getting the Malwarebytes for Windows with component package 1.0.793 .

Your pc's Malwarebytes is on CU 1.0.785

This is a first step.     You  should  sett your Malwarebytes to be in the Beta   ....if anything that action may trigger a prompt for update.

Malwarebytes >>  Settings  >> General tab

click on ( turn on)  Beta Updates    which is down the screen of the General tab   & then scroll back up & click on button Check for Updates.

Watch the prompts  and follow them.

Then when done, in Malwarebytes,  click Settings icon  & then click ABOUT.   Be sure you see Component package 1.0.793

I also would highly recommend that you turn off the Kaspersky "System Watcher "

Malwarebytes Premium has several protections, one of which is anti-ransomware.   There is no need to also have the anti-ransomware from Kaspersky.

Open KIS.    Click the Settings icon at the bottom.  Click the Protection from the list.

Scroll down to System Watcher.   Click that to the left so that it is Off.

Close the window.   Then please do a Windows Shutdown >>  Restart.

Next,  we need to do "trust exclusions"  in Kaspersky  Internet Security.   ( for those readers who have Total Security, there are 2 folder differences for K T S  ).

You have Kaspersky Internet Security 20.0.14.1085 (G)   ( as do I )

You have Malwarebytes 4   ( as do I ).

This section is about truest exclusions in Malwarebytes for the Kasperky Internet Security

so a few folder locations are specific to that particular product.

What follows is a first step to have Windows 10 show all files and folder. Do not let this spook you out.

There is a how-to at Tenforums. Use either option one or two or three

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7078-turn-off-show-all-folders-windows-10-navigation-pane.html

Here is a image of my exclusions in the Allow List of Malwarebytes 4.

You can notice I exclude 2 main folders of Kaspersky  and then a few KIS   EXE  & DLL elements.

The generic how-to guide for navigating the Allow list is here  ->>   https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3543

image.png.1b4da1031a50af1fc0aa5aa205e5970c.png

Using the guide noted above, start by excluding the following 2 folders as folder exclusions .....to be excluded from all protections.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab

C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab

Using the same guide, add these file exclusions   ....to be excluded from all protections

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Internet Security 20.0\x64\kl_service.dll

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Secure Connection 4.0\ksdeui.exe

C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP20.0\Bases\Klsihk64.dll

C:\windows\system32\drivers\klwfp.sys

C:\windows\system32\drivers\klwtp.sys

C:\windows\system32\drivers\kneps.sys

Once you are all done with this,  I suggest to close the Malwarebytes.   Then from the Windows start menu, do one Shutdown   >>  RESTART.

NOTE:  On some systems,  for the driver files ,    instead of C:\windows\system32  you would need to try using instead c:\windows\sysnative

Let me know how you do after this.   The next section will cover trust adjustments in Kaspersky.

After this,  see the next post.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

This section covers how to specify into Kaspersky  a set of Malwarebytes components to be treated as trusted.

I believe this is common to Kaspersky Internet Security as well as to Kaspersky Total Security.

Start ( open ) the Kaspersky application.

Look down on the first screen, look for and click on the gear icon  ( Settings )

image.png.c0cf7bcfa9ebdcf337f9fd301a6dcd90.png

On the Settings screen, click on “Additional”   from the list on the left.

Next, click on Threats and Exclusions from the list on the right-side pane.

On the following screen, look down the list

Click on “Specify trusted applications

click the Add button

click the Browse button

Once you clicked the Browse button, the objective is to guide this to where Malwarebytes for Windows is installed.

From the left-side pane navigation, pick C drive

Then click Program Files  to expand  & scroll down

Then click   Malwarebytes  to expand

Then  click Anti-Malware to expand.   Then focus on the EXE files to select each

Click on Assistant,exe  & click on the Open button to make that pick

You will be prompted by Kaspersky at each line, so click the Continue button to confirm  ( each )

Then repeat the same way for each of these as well

IG.exe

Malwarebytes_assistant.exe

Mbam.exe

MBAMInstallerService.exe

MBamPt.exe

MBAMService.exe

Mbamtray.exe

Mbamwow.exe

mbamWsc.exe

Apply the adjustments.   When all done, click the X  on the upper top right of the window.

This is a sample screen I had from some of my testing related to this.

image.png.020c85f4e9f4ffdc2ea647414f5355ba.png

NEXT,    Go back to the Threats and Exclusions section of Kaspersky

Click on  “Manage Exclusions

Click the Add button

On the next screen that shows “add new exclusion”  click the BROWSE button

Enter

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes

And click Add

Your screen should look like this

image.png.3a97bc63c51d719a2a303a652cc49918.png

You also want to exclude the drivers  ( .SYS )  files of Malwarebytes for Windows.

Note that on some systems, you may need to specify c:\windows\sysnative   instead of c:\windows\system32

Note also, that you can use COPY and Paste method  to plunk in these drivers files  location.   Just copy from here and then use Paste action to plunk in into the white text box field.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\farflt.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbae64.sys    ( for 32-bit systems use mbae.sys instead)

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mwac.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamelam.sys

c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys

image.png.2e34151d1457e3dd6f2ad4bff2c980bc.png

Click the upper most X button at top to close.

When done, close the Kasperky dialog windows.

Do  a Windows RESTART  to insure that all this is saved  and in effect  during the new Windows session.

NOTE:  

If after all this, there is some issue with a web browser or an email program,  be sure you provide us the detail.

Test things out at this point.   Let me know how you do.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Hi Maurice Naggar,
Thank you for your efficent work which I guess was consuming a lot of time.
I made every step by step into instruction.
I was testing mine windows 10 for a while.
Unfortunately Kaspersky or Malwarebytes made too much processes at once. I was trying to turned off settings protecting this, that, etc... and finally I turned on only shield of web sites option the rest I turned off. Windows 10 is loading only with Kaspersky and works fine, when I turn on Malwarebytes my windows is slowing down and any process took ages.
I'm regret but when Malwarebytes released new version of their software I have to deny it's something which I was expecting. I had a lot of problems and even your instruction showed that Malwarebytes don't work with Kaspersky. Kaspersky is popular program and they should think about that, Malwarebytes have to think what kind of the program they wants to be, antyviurs or what? And they should stop make testing their software on the final customers who pais for the program...
Best regads.

Sadly this issue wasn't actually the result of any changes in the new versions of Malwarebytes; it was caused by a change in the latest versions of Kaspersky so there probably isn't anything that Malwarebytes can do on their own to resolve it, but hopefully Kaspersky's developers will address the issues on their end in a future version.

To Eps,

I regret the trouble and frustration.  I would like to point out that setting trust exclusions in the programs is always a good idea.

One other tip   ( included in the link at top that my colleague relayed)   was this one:    Disable Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes.  Just that one.  Not all the real-time protections of Malwarebytes Premium.

Hi Maurice Naggar,
Thank you for your advice, I turned on Malwarebytes and did what you have said. I see that it works and this is the best solution for me. Great, thank you 🙂

You are welcome.   If I may, let make some other suggestions.

Have your Malwarebytes on the Beta program, so it gets the benefits of enhancements, the latest.

Start Malwarebytes.  click Settings icon.   Click on the GENERAL tab.

Scroll down to Beta Updates.

Click it to the right.   to turn on "Get early access to the latest software and feature updates.

and

scroll back to top of the General tab.   Now click on Check for Updates  and follow all prompts.

The latest Component package is 1.0.801     You can check on yours by clicking the  About tab.

One other thing,  click Notifications tab   and   look under Notifications section.

Click to the left  ( OFF position)  the "Alert me if any Real-time protections  are turned off.

That way there is no nag screen   ( for not having on the ransomware protection )