Thanks for the info & the setup-log.   The bottom line is understandable.  as it said Cannot install a (version)  when a newer version is installed.

It seems to me, there were like 2 successful installs.

Q:  Have you Restarted Windows today ?

Q2:  Are there any messages complained about msvcp120.dll   ,   msvcp120.dll

IF yes on the latter,  I would like for you to do a special startup test.   To adjust this Windows to only start with the barebones.   This is what we geeks call a "clean boot startup"

How to perform a clean boot startup of Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Followed the link and performed clean boot.  No dll error popups!

How do I proceed? Do I need to enable some of the things I just disabled in task manager?  I didn't keep track of what I disabled, etc. 

And I didn't not go back and try to install that 64-bit Microsoft file that didn't initially load.

Please advise. Thank you!

Update:  It seems to be services by publisher Apple Inc. that are causing the problem.  I have enabled all startup services, except those by Apple Inc and I no longer have the dll errors.  

iCloud Photo Library

iCloud Drive

iCloud IE Bookmarks

iCloud Services

Do you know how I can fix these? 

Thank you,

Hi Julie,   Good morning.

Thanks for the details.  I am very glad to know that the DLL exception messages no longer show.

My advice is to keep things as they are now.    The Windows system startup is doing fine now.   Lets keep it as is.

I would like to see that this Windows 10 be updated to the very latest release build by Microsoft.   The goal is to get it to the November 2019 build.   The one called Build 1909.

I would suggest  to upgrade to the Windows 10 build 1909 ( or November 2019 build).  You should be able to manually get it thru Windows Update.

It may take repeated tries with Windows Update till your pc is able to see that Update.  You should make a try each day, from here on out, till you see it offered.

The suggestion I have is to go to the Start menu, click the Windows Settings icon. Select Update & Security.  Click on Windows Update.

The Windows Update ( eventually) will have a display like this when it shows up.

Note that the display will show the new build in a new way, in the middle of the display.  You will need to click on the blue line marked "Download and install now"  when ready.

image.png.df53d8bb536021270887ecddda136ea8.png

Getting that Windows build update will put this pc in a better position for a more secure operating system.

Maurice,

I'm getting ready to return my mom's computer to her.  It did go through the updates and get the 1909.

Questions:

1) Are there any files I should/can delete from the scans and fixes we have run the past few days?

2) Do you have suggested settings for my mom's computer.  Even as far as updates, etc.?

3) I'm going to look at my Dad's computer, when I return Mom's laptop.  You mentioned that I could put Windows 10 on it.  I think it is pretty old, so I'll look at the specs. From what my parents said, it hasn't been working properly either.  IF it is capable of downloading Windows 10, I may need help to clean up that computer too. 

Thanks again for your help!

One more question...

Browsers:  Is it better to use Edge or Chrome, in your opinion?

Answering your very last question first:   It is best to use EDGE browser, rather than Chrome.

You may also consider getting ( if you do not have it ) the BRAVE browser, which has lots of pluses, including that it does an excellent job of keeping advertising out.

see https://brave.com

To #1:   To help cleanup on tools used:

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

Or use the following if first link is down:

"Delfix link mirror"

If your security program alerts to Delfix either, accept the alert or turn your security off.

please right-click on Delfix  and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

Remove disinfection tools <----- this will remove tools we may have used.

Now click on "Run" and wait patiently until the tool has completed.

Any remaining  files/logs from tools we have used can be deleted.

# 2:

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

If this pc has the Google Chrome browser, or the Brave browser, I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

If the pc has Mozilla Firefox, to get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard  Firefox extension.

Open this link in your Firefox browser  

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Then proceed with the setup.

That link is for English US.   There are other language version.  Just go to the very bottom right of the page and look at “Change language” list drop down.

I am glad to have helped you.

I am going to pass on these best practices tips, and then mark this case for closure.

Best  practices & malware prevention:
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources.
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click".

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed.
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next".

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web.
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet.

Do a Windows Update.

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection"

Backup is your best friend.   Make regular backups of each system to offline media.

+

For each windows 10 system:

suggest that ( at your next best opportunity) enable the F8 function key use at machine boot  ( that way you have means to have advanced startup options

See Option One at this article

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22455-enable-disable-f8-advanced-boot-options-windows-10-a.html

I am happy to have helped you on this ( first / original ) case on this machine.   I am simply doing housekeeping and marking the case for Closure.

Best wishes.

Maurice