UX where only part of a page is visibly blocked

Currently I believe the way it is handled is similar to how other blocking extensions handle it such as Disconnect, uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials and others where it simply displays the blocked item count for elements blocked on the current tab/page, and if the user needs to access one of the blocked sites they need only click the extension's icon in the toolbar and whitelist it.

Thanks,

3 hours ago, exile360 said:

if the user needs to access one of the blocked sites they need only click the extension's icon in the toolbar

True at a blocked page.

Not possible at a non-blocked page where only part of the page is blocked; there's no list of blocked elements.

Malwarebytes Browser Guard 2.1.7 added to a new profile, Firefox 72.0:

2020-01-06 07:22:27.png

2020-01-06 07:27:59.png

2020-01-06 07:29:10.png

Why doesn't the Malwarebytes icon in the toolbar show a number for the number of blocked items?Β  I suspect it may be something else blocking the iframe, not Malwarebytes:

blocked.png.dfed42c4d9f4e42bd92b47be367d60d1.png

list.png.6dd98f5409491d6e24076adace369574.png

If I then access the settings>allow list and click the highlighted button below it automatically fills in the name of the site where the blocked content is found so that I can add it to my Allow List:

allow.png.93e6d4ffedd6d5eca174fe36b31251d6.png

Then it's just a matter of selecting the protections to disable for the specified site using the provided drop-down, add it to the Allowed websites list then click Done.Β  After that, just refresh the page and the content should no longer be blocked.

14 hours ago, exile360 said:

it may be something else blocking the iframe, not Malwarebytes

I think it is Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

There's the Malwarebytes icon, in place of the iframe, in screenshots in the opening post and my previous comment.

The distinctive blue M and the phrase Browser Guard.

Are you also using Malwarebytes Premium?Β  If so, then it could be Web Protection blocking the iframe as MBG will display the same redirect/block page in the browser when sites are blocked by Web Protection in Malwarebytes Premium as it does when it blocks a website.

I see, you will probably need to perform the process I described earlier then to whitelist the website (to allow items from other sources embedded in a webpage, the webpage they are embedded in must be excluded, so in this case you would need to add hakane.com to your exclusions).

If considering whitelisting, I would use the method in the opening post – to know the reason for the block, before deciding whether to not block again.Β 

If not considering whitelisting – if considering nothing more than a one-off allowance – I would certainly use the method in the opening post. Opt to continue in the second tab, then reload the first tab to see the content in context.

You could also use the switches available when clicking the Malwarebytes toolbar icon to toggle the function that is blocking the site to Off for the current webpage; that might save you some time and you could always toggle the switch back on once you're done if you don't want to create any persistent exclusions for the site.

18 hours ago, exile360 said:

… toggle the function that is blocking the site …

True, but (without the step in the opening post) it'll be a guessing game, not knowing which one of the four switches to throw …

Watch this screen recording from around 01:30 on the timeline:

Alongside this, please read:

1. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/255253-unable-to-activate-browser-guard/?do=findComment&comment=1353442
  2. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/255511-what-malware-was-blocked/?do=findComment&comment=1355145

Observations:

• absence of the hint that entry of an e-mail address is required to activate the enabled extension
  • awareness of the blocked iframe occurs only if the window is wide enough
  • the blocked iframe is classified as malware, but is not blocked when malware protection alone applies (to the page that contains the iframe)

I will give it a try and get back to you.

I can't do a screen capture because when I try it the screen capture goes away.

Thanks for the help. I'll get back tomorrow. I am under the weather right now.

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, jadinolf said:

I will give it a try and get back to you.

OK, no rush.

IMHO it's of primary importance to benefit from the block (of suspected malware). Knowing the address of what's blocked will satisfy our curiosity.

Assuming that the block in your case is of an iframe – and not of the page that contains the iframe – bear this in mind:

• you might need to scroll from the top of each visited page, to the foot, to discover the in-page blue Malwarebytes icon.

If you're unlucky:

• the iframe area might be somehow obscured or invisible.

Hint

You can keep Malwarebytes Browser Guard statistics in a separate window, not limited to a pop-up:

1. visit (and expect a block of) https://iptest.malwarebytes.com/
  2. in the address bar, change the app/eventpages/block.html?… part of the address to app/app.html
  3. bookmark the tab
  4. give the bookmark a suitable name, maybe Malwarebytes Browser Guard popped out
  5. move the tab to a new window.

Using the interface out of context – not popped up – we can not expect dynamic updates of statistics. You can prepare for a workaround:

1. click Statistics
  2. choose today
  3. click MALWARE
  4. note the number
  5. choose this week
  6. note the number.

After visiting any suspect page you can refresh the view of statistics, to tell whether the MALWARE count has risen. Trigger:

• switch from this week, to today
  • or vice versa.

Something like this:

image.thumb.png.415ff3ea292d1e3fcb8a578b6c076667.png

A clunky hint, but it might be useful if working with the extension alone (without a Malwarebytes premium product).