What counts as one realtime protection? Antivirus program recommendations?

jdbnospam

While browsing this site I see the recommendation to have just one antivirus & one real-time protection

If you run the Avir Premium does that do both?

Yes it does and it is a high rated antivirus by any and all testing.

You can see comparative test results here:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stor...vc_report22.pdf

You can also look at results at the the rankings at Virus Bulletin but you will have to create a login to do so:

http://www.virusbtn.com/index

A definite benefit is that MBAM is compatible with Antivir and you will experience no problems running both active protection components.

Other highly rated antiviruses that I recommend are Kaspersky and ESET Nod32. I have the latter and there is no conflict running both that and MBAM.

I am not sure of that and I would not count on it as a given.

Most of us security forum types recommend the light and lean ESET Nod32 and Avira Antivir. We have found that Symantec can interfere with the fixes and analysis programs we recommend for clean-up. Even when it is disabled via the user interfaces, it still has components running in the kernel. It is also difficult to completely uninstall - hence, the existence of the Norton Removal Tool. I believe its detection and removal rates are quite good though.

I am not sure of that and I would not count on it as a given.

Humm... that's too bad. If I install, do you have recommendations for how to test? Can anyone from Malware Bytes staff give input as well?

Most of us security forum types recommend the light and lean ESET Nod32 and Avira Antivir. We have found that Symantec can interfere with the fixes and analysis programs we recommend for clean-up. Even when it is disabled via the user interfaces, it still has components running in the kernel. It is also difficult to completely uninstall - hence, the existence of the Norton Removal Tool. I believe its detection and removal rates are quite good though.

Thanks for the feedback -- as a result I'll run avira and MAMB for myself. I've a hardware firewall but have yet to decide on a software firewall (any suggestions?) as the third part of my protection.

My problem is that now I want to help out a couple of people that already have copies of Norton Internet Security 2009 and who want to keep using as it has a very user friendly firewall -- they are all non-technical persons who don't know enough to answer firewall pop_ups correctly and like how it manages known apps and the info it provides when it does generate a firewall approval request.

I don't think NIS by itself is enough which is why I want them to purchase and run MAMB too. I'd have them run just avira free with MAMB paid but then they'd have no software firewall so I've yet to come up with the best solution...

I asked Bruce (MBAM Lead Malware Researcher aka nosirrah) his opinion, and he advises that NAV 2009 AV side by side with MBAM is OK. However, NIS is far more demanding of resources and this tends to make the computer run more slowly, so he doesn't promote adding things to it.

Online Armor has an excellent and compatible Free firewall available from here:

http://www.tallemu.com/products-online-armor-free.php

A router with built in hardware firewall is a good way to go. I do not run a software firewall on my Vista system because I don't find the need to when I'm running behind a hardware firewall plus the Windows firewall.

The Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) was just released and Beta testing was very favorable - it combines antispyware and AV and incorporates active protection:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentia...amp;s=1#mainNav

I have not experienced any issues running MBAM side by side with MSE.