REGITDept

iTunes - Back Up Now / Restore Backup Bug

Dear Malwarebytes,

We would like to report a bug with Anti-Ransomware that is preventing iTunes (latest version as of this post) from doing a Back Up Now and Restore Backup. Both buttons are greyed out. Please see attached screenshot.
Disabling Anti-Ransomware and iTunes will work again.
Please fix this ASAP.

Thanks.

iTunes.jpg

Hi @REGITDept,

Sorry for the trouble! This is a known issue we're currently working on a fix for. I've opened a new problem ticket and reached out via email, I'll update you there as soon as a fix goes live.

1 hour ago, N33dful said:

Hi @REGITDept,

Sorry for the trouble! This is a known issue we're currently working on a fix for. I've opened a new problem ticket and reached out via email, I'll update you there as soon as a fix goes live.

Thank you very much.

Please keep me posted.

Dear Malwarebytes,

What is the current status? What is the ETA of this fix?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Hi @REGITDept,

We're still working on a fix, no ETA at this time. I'll update you via email on the open ticket as soon as I have more information!

Edited by N33dful

I also have the same issue with Ransomware protection disabling iTunes latest version backup and restore. I can disable Ransomware and then I can backup and restore. 
I didn’t know about this until last night when I found this post. 
I was able to uninstall everything with iTunes and get it running correctly again but after I made the backup and rebooted it was disabled. I have temp logs on this if needed. Oh forgot to add that I’m running Windows 8.1 Pro OS. 

Edited by Hardhead
Add OS

Hi @Hardhead,

Thanks for letting us know! I believe we have enough information to go on now and are developing a fix, I'll let you know if any further detail or logs would prove useful. Additionally, I'll update you here once we've released a fix. I see your subscription is for the consumer product, it may take additional time for the update to reach the Premium consumer version compared to the ARW standalone business release since the former is bundled. For this reason, you may want to open up a new case with our consumer support team. If you have a business subscription that I'm not seeing, I'll be happy to open a case and update you accordingly.

Oh no worries I’m good and thank you for your quick response!

Cheers

Hi all. We are still working towards a solution for this issue but can you try the following exclusions and confirm if it mitigates the issue for you? It does in our testing

Folder exclusions for the following:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple

20 minutes ago, tetonbob said:

Hi all. We are still working towards a solution for this issue but can you try the following exclusions and confirm if it mitigates the issue for you? It does in our testing

Folder exclusions for the following:

Hi,

We can try again, but we believed we have tried these in the past but not working.
How about the Windows 10 Store version? What to exclude?
Both the Windows 10 Store and Standalone versions are affected as well.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, REGITDept said:

Hi,

We can try again, but we believed we have tried these in the past but not working.
How about the Windows 10 Store version? What to exclude?
Both the Windows 10 Store and Standalone versions are affected as well.

Thanks.

Confirmed not working.

Are you referring to Windows 10 Store app not working with the exclusions above? That won't be helped by the above exclusions.

It's not just our testing showing the above exclusions do mitigate the issue. Other customers have reported success as well:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/255686-mb-404-problem-with-itunes/?do=findComment&comment=1356123

Thanks.

Also, just to keep an open dialog, we are closer to an internally testable solution. It will still be some time before that testing is completed, and before the proposed solution is available for our customers.

Edited by tetonbob

Dear Malwarebytes,

The workaround exclusions below will fix the issue:

Thanks for all of the help.
Waiting for the official fix to come out 😀

1 hour ago, REGITDept said:

Dear Malwarebytes,

The workaround exclusions below will fix the issue:

Thanks for all of the help.
Waiting for the official fix to come out 😀

Thanks for your feedback and report @REGITDept ! We do now have a working solution for this issue in test, but I can't say with precision when that will be released.

I want to add that I was also hit by this bug.  Yesterday I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple support.  They had no real idea of the issue.  Then I spent several hours searching various websites and came up with the possibility of a MAPI error somewhere deep in the Windows registry.  Thanks to a forum posting, l learned about this issue.

May I suggest that you proactively notify Apple about this issue.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:12 AM, LiquidTension said:

Hi @PhilBurton,

Thank you for the feedback.

We've released a fix for this issue in the latest Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware standalone: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/211708-latest-version-mbarw-beta-v-0918807-build-277-released-feb-4-2020/

We hope to make this available to other Malwarebytes products in upcoming releases.

Can you please let me know when the business side is updated?

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, REGITDept said:

Can you please let me know when the business side is updated?

Thanks.

Hi @REGITDept,

The Anti-Ransomware version that your Endpoint Security subscription includes is the 'standalone' version, as opposed to the Cloud 'Behavior Protection' setting which is integrated with Endpoint Protection and Endpoint Protection & Response products. That said, the fix is live and you should be able to remove those exclusions with no issue.

I would add that the Component Update Package 1.1.278 is being released in a metered fashion as always. Be sure your endpoints have received the update and are current before removing the exclusions.

2 hours ago, REGITDept said:

Thank you all.

Confirmed the issue is resolved.

Hi @REGITDept - thank you for confirming that the 1.1.278 release addressed this issue for you.

@PhilBurton - this fix will unfortunately not make it into the next MB4 release but our current intent is to include it in the following release. Dates of either MB4 release are not firm at this time.

All: We do appreciate your patience, and apologize for the inconvenience.

Edited by tetonbob