Linda-B

Malwarebytes premium is slowing my computer to a crawl

Hi.   Thanks for the report and for the status update.   I take it that you are able to use Windows in regular mode.

I would like for you to review all the auto-started / auto-loaded programs that start with each Windows start session.

Find those that are not a must so that the load is lightened.   We want to keep Malwarebytes and any other security program like Windows Defender and those related to networking.

As a example of what is not needed at startup ......there is something called "companionlink"

This article at Microsoft is a technique to use to reduce / test  startup

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

I'm using Windows in regular mode, but I've had to turn off MalwareBytes so that it will run at a normal speed.  

The companionlink is a work-related software that syncs my work calendar with my phone.    I've disabled the Intuit Data Protect.  I'm not sure about having three Realtek semiconductor processes running.   I also don't know if I need IDrive tray and IDrive background both running.  It's my auto backup program.

What / how / where did you "  turn off MalwareBytes " ?

You can turn off  ( temporarily  and as a test iDrive   and any other app   that is not a must have   ).   My hope was that you could ( as a test )  reduce the number of auto-started applications.

I exited MB from the tray.  

I'll turn off all the auto starts and see what happens and get back to you.

Do you want me to do a clean boot and turn off all services too, except for the Windows ones?

Make real sure to not turn off any Microsoft Windows services.   It is just add on applications  that you can identify  as not needed    that you can turn off

Yes you can do a clean boot   & then  what follows below   ( a full scan with Windows Defender Offline )

Observation:   I am aware lots of people do not like to do a Windows shutdown on a regular basis.   But rather prefer putting Windows in sleep mode.

Be aware that Windows coming out of sleep mode can be a source of issues.   It is much preferable to do shutdown > Restart  or a regular shiudown at end of work-day.

Now then, the reports recently provided indicate a few areas to be checked out.  One of them being the need to do a good scan with Microsoft Windows Defender.

Do what follows at your next opportunity.

Windows 10 has the Microsoft Windows Defender which can run the Windows Defender Offline scan.
Windows Defender Offline in Windows 10 can be run directly from within Windows, without having to create bootable media.

Click the Windows Start menu button on the Taskbar, select Settings icon. Then choose Update and Security.

In Windows Settings  >>> click on Windows Security from the left side list.

Next, In Windows Security section:  Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

next click on the blue Scan options

Look down the options list.  Tick on Windows Defender Offline scan.   Then click the grey "Scan now" button.

and let it scan the system.

Keep in mind that the design and what is scanned by Windows Defender is a whole different design from Malwarebytes. But do let me know how this scan goes and what the result is.

I ran the scan.  It didn't take long and didn't show any results.  

So I said I had quit MB.  I went to open it to see if maybe it wouldn't slow things down if I started it after everything was running, like Outlook.   I get an error message  "Unable to start.  Unable to connect the service."

The "unable to connect" message is likely due to some (likely momentary issue).   We can deal with that later on.

At this point, I would just like to run a different scan.

I would suggest a free scan with the ESET Online Scanner
Go to https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Look on the right side of the page.  Click Scan Now
It will start a download of "esetonlinescanner_enu.exe"
Save the file to your system, such as the Downloads folder, or else to the Desktop.

Go to the saved file, and double click it to get it started.
When presented with the initial ESET options, click on "Computer Scan".

Next, when prompted by Windows, allow it to start by clicking Yes

When prompted for scan type, Click on Full scan
Click on the radio selection "Enable ESET to detect and quarantine potentially unwanted applications"   and click on Start scan button.

Have patience.  The entire process may take an hour or more. There is an initial update download.
There is a progress window display.
You should ignore all prompts to get the ESET antivirus software program.   ( e.g.  their standard program).   You do not need to buy or get or install anything else.

When the scan is completed, if something was found, it will show a screen with the number of detected items.  If so, click the button marked “View detected results”.

Click The blue “Save scan log” to save the log.

If something was removed and you know it is a false finding, you may click on the blue ”Restore cleaned files”  ( in blue, at bottom).

Press Continue when all done.  You should click to off the offer for “periodic scanning”.

Did you see the results summary of Eset ?   Can you find the report-log   and attach that in a reply ?   I am curious to know if it detected anything,

As to this Windows O.S.  installation, there are a handful of Windows services that are not running  and do need attention to insure they are on.

We will run this next custom batch fix for that.

The first thing I need you to do is to Delete the old FIXLIST.txt   I had you save before on the Downloads folder.

This custom script is for  Linda-B  only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It may involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST   ( as is) to the  DOWNLOADS  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Desktop.

Double click FRSTENGLISH

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

and when you post back, tell me how Windows is doing over-all.

Thank you.    Sincerely.

Fixlist.txt

i did see the scan text file, and there's not a lot in it.    I had to shut the PC down last night, and this morning, nothing would run.  I couldn't even quit MB from the tray or from task manager.   So I did a repair using the support tool.  It's working okay now, but MB is not running.  I'll go ahead and do the above process and send you the fixlog when complete.

virus scan.txt

Good morning, Linda.

If you have issues with the Malwarebytes program, please post and ask me first.

While I am helping you,  I prefer that you not go on your own doing stuff.

My main goal this morning is to be doing the latest FIXLIST  /  Fix run

That will go a log way to getting some services of Windows to be back to where they need to be.

The ESET scan tagged & removed  3   P U  P

Sorry.  I had to do something.   The PC was at a standstill.  My browser wouldn't even open to be able to post anything.  

I've run FRSTENGLISH and attached the log.

Fixlog.txt

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the Fixlog.   That went very fast.    I am not sure that all Windows services have been set properly.   More checks later.

Please re-double patience as we go along.  If normal Windows gets into a hitch,  you should make a practice to restart the machine / restart Windows into Safe Mode with Networking.

To that end do this

suggest that ( at your next best opportunity) enable the F8 function key use at machine boot  ( that way you have means to have advanced startup options

See Option One at this article

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/22455-enable-disable-f8-advanced-boot-options-windows-10-a.html

F8 function key can be tapped when one reboots the machine & right before the Windows GUI comes on.

The Safe Mode with Networking is a good way to get a basic Windows session,  that will allow doing research , adjustments as needed.

[    1    ]

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Reply YES when prompted by Windows to Allow the program to run.

Reply YES when prompted by the tool to proceed.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result ( MTB.txt ). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

[    2    ]

Download   Farbar's Service Scanner utility
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/
and Save to your Desktop.

If using Windows 7/8 or Vista, Right-Click on fss.exe and select Run As Admisnitrator.
If using XP, double-click to start.

Answer Yes to ok when prompted.

If your firewall then puts out a prompt, again, allow it to run.

Once FSS is on-screen, be sure the following items are checkmarked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update
Windows Defender
Other services

Click on "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Copy & Paste contents of FSS.txt into your reply.

[    3     ]

The FRSTENGLISH report tool is already on the Downloads folder.   We just need to run it  and then attach 3  reports.

Run report with FRSTENGLISH

Right-click on FRSTENGLISH and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is checked    -    also check the box for Shortcut    listed under Optional scan on the FRST screen

and click the box "90 day files "

Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce three logfiles on your desktop: _FRST.txt_ , _Addition.txtShortcut.txt
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 3 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hi.  We do not share a topic on this section of the forum.  I will need to have to ask you to make your own NEW separate topic, ErikJan,

This topic-thread is ONLY for Linda-B   and just only Linda-B

Please see and do exactly like listed at this pinned topic    

FSS.txt:   

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 14-12-2019
Ran by Linda (administrator) on 04-01-2020 at 13:19:55
Running from "C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Local\Temp\scoped_dir6888_1883544755"
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy: 
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Policy: 
========================

Security Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy: 
============================

Windows Defender:
==============

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => File is digitally signed

**** End of log ****

Addition.txt FRST.txt Shortcut.txt MTB.txt

ErikJan, I believe you need to start your own thread so that you can get help that's particular to your computer and what's going on with it.  I've been given and run a few scripts that have been written only for my situation.  If you did the same, it might make yours worse.   Also, your post wasn't removed.  I can still see it.  You can just  copy and paste it if you need to.  Good luck with your problem!  I'm hoping mine gets resolved.

This topic and thread is ONLY for Linda-B

This sub-forum has always been one to one   .....one person only.   The other individual has a Support case and needs to stick with that.   

Any post by any individual other than the Original Poster  will be removed.

Hi @Linda-B

Thank you for the reports.   There seems to be a hardware issue with one of the printers.  The Brother printer. If it is a USB type device,  disconnect it for the time being.

Here is the notes from the FRSTENGLISH report

==================== Faulty Device Manager Devices ============

Name: Brother MFC-L2750DW
Description: Brother MFC-L2750DW
Class Guid: {6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}
Manufacturer: Brother
Service: usbscan
Problem: : This device cannot start. (Code10)
Resolution: Device failed to start. Click "Update Driver" to update the drivers for this device.
On the "General Properties" tab of the device, click "Troubleshoot" to start the troubleshooting wizard.

We just do not need troubles from any hardware devices at this point.   We need to be focusing on Windows and Malwarebytes.

So perhaps physically disconnect all printers, scanners, copiers, fax device.      ..at least for the time being  

We will run another  custom batch fix .

The next thing I need you to do is to Delete the old FIXLIST.txt   I had you save before on the Downloads folder.

This custom script is for  Linda-B  only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

Please Close and save any open work files before you start this next step.  It may involve a Windows Restart at the end of it.

I am sending a   custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please save the (attached file named) FIXLIST   ( as is) to the  DOWNLOADS  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder

Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Desktop.

Double click FRSTENGLISH

to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.

IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......

click line More info information on that screen

and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

FRST_Fixl.png.c4c1c0dddcc49b11fa400590f070bd5e.png

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Next,  I would like to see the Malwarebytes for Windows running the latest Beta version    ( which I am running on my rig   & many other forum regulars are also running ]

I believe the current Beta will run better for your pc.

Start Malwarebytes for Windows.   Then click the Settngs  ( gear ) icon  at the top.

Then on the General tab , scroll down to Beta Updates

and click that to the right   ( on)

image.png.3e8b9578c46feb226dd437f8f5545301.png

Then next   scroll back up on this tab  until you see Check for Updates

image.png.922e1e75fb3f1c205b7fa74eae29d5f9.png

Click on Check for Updates  and follow all prompts.   When prompted to install updates, follow all prompts and accept Updates.

When you have the Beta updates,  you should see the version as 4.0.4.49

and

the Component  package as   1.0.787

Click the About tab to check on that

image.png.5560fe541764f401ec01eda4cde8ceae.png

Fixlist.txt

FSS.txt:   

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 14-12-2019
Ran by Linda (administrator) on 04-01-2020 at 13:19:55
Running from "C:\Users\Linda\AppData\Local\Temp\scoped_dir6888_1883544755"
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro  (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy: 
==================

System Restore:
============

System Restore Policy: 
========================

Security Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy: 
============================

Windows Defender:
==============

Other Services:
==============

File Check:
========
C:\Windows\System32\nsisvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\nsiproxy.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\afd.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tdx.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsrslvr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dnsapi.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\mpssvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\bfe.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mpsdrv.sys => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\SDRSVC.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\vssvc.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\wuaueng.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\qmgr.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\es.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\cryptsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpSvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\ipnathlp.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\iphlpsvc.dll => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => File is digitally signed
C:\Windows\System32\rpcss.dll => File is digitally signed

**** End of log ****

Sorry about the duplicate posting.   The text was still in the reply box, and I didn't look to see that it was already sent.

Malwarebytes is unable to connect the service.  I'll reboot and see what happens.

Fixlog.txt

I did all that.  The component package, though, is 1.0.785.

OMG.  This isn't helping at all.   It took like 5 minutes for Opera to start, and just as long for Malwarebytes to open.   

Question is,  Does Malwarebytes program start ?

and if yes, did you do the suggestions I had to elect to get on the Beta ?

I would like to see the Malwarebytes for Windows running the latest Beta version    ( which I am running on my rig   & many other forum regulars are also running ]

I believe the current Beta will run better for your pc.

Start Malwarebytes for Windows.   Then click the Settngs  ( gear ) icon  at the top.

Then on the General tab , scroll down to Beta Updates

and click that to the right   ( on)

image.png.3e8b9578c46feb226dd437f8f5545301.png

Then next   scroll back up on this tab  until you see Check for Updates

image.png.922e1e75fb3f1c205b7fa74eae29d5f9.png

Click on Check for Updates  and follow all prompts.   When prompted to install updates, follow all prompts and accept Updates.

When you have the Beta updates,  you should see the version as 4.0.4.49

and

the Component  package as   1.0.787

Click the About tab to check on that

image.png.5560fe541764f401ec01eda4cde8ceae.png

Yes, it's running, and yes, I did the update on the beta version.   That's why I said the component package version was 1.0.785.    When I click  on check for updates beyond that,  I get a message "Unable to check now because an update check is already in progress."