Linda-B

Malwarebytes premium is slowing my computer to a crawl

Since I installed Malwarebytes premium, my PC has gotten to where nothing will load.  I ran the repair tool, and things seemed better until the PC went into and then out of sleep mode.   I have to exit Malwarebytes to even open Opera or Task Manager.   

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hello Linda,      :welcome:

Thank you for the support tool report.  Is the 28th the very first time you installed Malwarebytes for Windows ?

or have you ever had a older version of Malwarebytes  before ?

I notice Google Chrome crash handler showing in the running processes.  Have you seen Chrome browser crashing ?

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool. 

Your pf already has the tool  & you do not have to re-download it.

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Let me know if this run clears up the issue or not.

I had the free version previously installed.   I have uninstalled using the MB clean uninstall tool.   I'll go ahead and use the support tool and report back.

Not clear to me what ( if anything ) you just did.

I am only suggesting to use the Support tool one time  ....to do the clean re-install run.

I do need the report file after it completes.   Along with status details from you.

Okay.  I've done the clean reinstall with the Malwarebytes support tool, and I'm attaching the report files.   My computer is still not responding.  For instance, I tried to start Chrome before I started typing this, and it's still not opened - it just opened, and it took about 4 minutes.   You asked before if Chrome has been crashing, and it's not.  Not that I know of.  I mostly use Opera.

Thank you.

mbst-grab-results.zip mbst-clean-results.txt mb-clean-results.txt mb-check-results.zip

Thank you for the ZIP file report.  This pc just had a new clean install of Malwarebytes for Windows.

It is a good install.   It is up to date.

We can do one adjustment on Malwarebytes just to see if maybe it helps out  

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

Next,

Scroll further down on that same tab.   Scroll to the button marked Manage protected applications

click that button

scroll down to the line for Google Chrome    ( chrome.exe ).   Click that to the left so that it is off.

Then click done.

and exit Malwarebytes.

Lets see if things, especially Chrome do better.

I had rebooted the computer after I sent you the files, and Malwarebytes was on and slowing everything down, so I exited it.   I just went to open it, as you requested, and I get the error message:  Unable to start.  Unable to connect the service.  I then went to services.mcs, and the Malwarebytes service is set to automatic and says it's "stopping."    I'm going  to reboot and see what happens with that, and I'll follow the steps you outlined.  But I wanted to post here  what's going on in the meantime, in case it's relevant.

ok.   Just be sure you have not disabled any of Malwarebytes in MSCONFIG

Dont make any changes without checking with me first.

I didn't do anything in MSCONFIG.    I've turned the Windows Security Center always register to off, and I've turned off Chrome protection.  I've also turned off Opera protection.  None of that made any difference.  It's still extremely slow.  Even MB is slow to open.   It took Outlook almost 5 minutes to open.  It's ridiculous.  

Did you do  a Windows shutdown  >>  Restart   just now   ....please do do that.

OK.   Glad to hear that.

Allow me to suggest this as well.

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

So I left the computer for a few hours.  When I came back to it, Outlook kept freezing - until I exited Malwarebytes.    

I put the computer to sleep overnight.  This morning, it's back to being very slow.  It's not almost stopped, like it was, but it's still unacceptable.  Do you have any more suggestions?

Sorry to hear that.   The reason or source of "slowness" is not known.

First, thing, do a Windows shutdown >  Restart.    When done with the computer at end of day, it is best to do a normal Shutdown from the windows menu.   

Study / review this article  about "slow pc's"      https://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/help-my-computer-is-slow.html

You may also consider this troubleshooting technique

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It's definitely Malwarebytes causing the problem.  I just installed it, and everything is running perfectly without it.

Sorry about the trouble on this machine.   If you will run this next report, I 'd be willing to review.

Let’s  please try to get and run a special  report  tool from Microsoft. 

It does not make changes. It will be just a report.

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Note: you also need to do the following:
  • Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
  • Click on the Compatibility tab
  • Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
  • Click on Apply then click OK

Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.
Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Filter Options...

In the Autoruns Filter Options dialogue, verify that the following are unchecked, if they are checked, uncheck them:

• Include empty locations
  • Hide Microsoft entries
  • Hide Windows entries

Verify that the following is checked, if it is unchecked, check it:

• Verify code signatures

Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
When it's finished and says Ready. on the lower left of the program window, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Thank you.

Maurice, I really appreciate your help!   My previous reply should have said that I uninstalled MB, not installed it.  I just saw the typo.  I think you got the meaning, though.

LINDA-HOME.zip

I will just add in one observation on your system. I see the history of using system optimizer programs and driver update tools. Those programs can/will "break" things on a system that are not obvious during regular day to day use.  

When I come across systems in this state I will attempt a non destructive repair install. If that fails I pull the clients drive and slap in my spare SSD and clean install Windows fresh an "magically" everything works like it is supposed to at full normal speed for the hardware at hand.

Now all that being said, I do this for a living and I would never expect a stranger on a forum to go through all of this to get things working correctly just putting it out there.

You also have what I call a "busy" system full of software that would be a HUGE undertaking to reinstall/replace.

Hmm.  It doesn't sound good.  I did use CC cleaner and Driver Booster recently, because I thought it might help speed things up.   I can't say that I ran them before or after I installed Malwarebytes.     I also just installed Windows 10, like Christmas day.   Most of the other software is work related.    Actually, the computer is running great, going into sleep mode and waking up with no problems, since I uninstalled MB.   

I read somewhere about dong the clean uninstall from safe mode, then installing it in safe mode.  Do you think that would make a difference?  

I see things in your log like

Task: C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\autokms.job => C:\Windows\AutoKMS\AutoKMS.exe

10 minutes ago, Linda-B said:

I also just installed Windows 10, like Christmas day. 

Installed? Or upgraded from an older operating system.

I have no idea what that is.   I have no idea what most of the stuff is.