TweakPower software.

Pierre75

56 minutes ago, sman said:

How to Clean and Speed Up Your Laptop

"https://www.business.com/articles/clean-speed-up-laptop-tips/"

The following is the only advice I would ever suggest to speed up any computer (there are some exceptions) Some computers you could max the memory and add a SSD and there will little or no  improvement. AMD e-1 processors for example from experience.

1. Add an SSD.

An SSD, or solid-state drive, is different from a traditional hard drive because it stores data in memory chips without having to use mechanical components. SSDs are a great way to immediately boost your computer's speed and performance. They're relatively inexpensive – a 256GB SSD can cost around $75.

SSDs do require installation, so if you're unfamiliar with the intricacies of laptop design, it may be better to pay someone to install it for you.

2. Upgrade RAM.

RAM stands for random access memory, and it is a form of memory storage that allows laptops to feature games and store other large files. Adding RAM, and thus more memory, can help speed up a computer that has a lot of large files on it. Generally, 8GB is the minimum amount of RAM you should have on computers, but not all laptops are upgradeable. Adding RAM also requires installation, and many newer laptops may come with RAM coupled with the computer's motherboard, meaning it cannot be adjusted.

AMD E1 series are a special class of APU chips with CPU & GPU integrated), so a class apart.. maybe if normal methods don't work, if CPU overclocking options are available with BIOS may be tried out (though manufacturers don't recommend it and risky as it can brick the system, if not done properly and also increase power consumption and system heating up)..

Edited by sman

1 hour ago, sman said:

AMD E1 series are a special class of APU chips with CPU & GPU integrated), so a class apart.. maybe if normal methods don't work, if CPU overclocking options are available with BIOS may be tried out (though manufacturers don't recommend it and risky as it can brick the system, if not done properly and also increase power consumption and system heating up)..

Not an issue, I refuse to service them. They are replaced with a real laptop.

53 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Not an issue, I refuse to service them. They are replaced with a real laptop.

AMD has slightly different rules, with many more of their CPUs being unlocked for overclockers to tinker with.

The Advantages & Disadvantages of Overclocking

"https://smallbusiness.chron.com/advantages-disadvantages-overclocking-66770.html"

Curiously, CPU manufacturers themselves have begun to encourage the practice of overclocking by selling “unlocked” versions of their CPUs, according to PCWorld. In the final analysis, however, overclocking is better suited in situations where you build your own PC and have no warranty to begin with.

If you're lucky you'll get a CPU that has a good die/good silicon, which typically is the result of the actual chip being closer to the center of the wafer from which it was cut when it was printed.  The end result is a CPU that typically runs cooler and more efficiently than other chips of the same model, often requiring lower voltages (and thus less heat output) to achieve the same or even higher clock speeds.  If you are very lucky you will actually be able to undervolt your CPU while simultaneously overclocking the speed so that it runs faster than stock speed but at lower than what would typically be the required voltages.  This is a concept referred to as the 'Silicon Lottery' because there is no way to know whether you'll get a good chip capable of high overclocking or not.  I have such a CPU in my current laptop.  I have undervolted the cores by -115Mv, the uncore or 'cache' as it is known (the memory controller and CPU on die memory cache) by -105Mv and yet I have overclocked the cores to 4.6GHz which is 100MHz higher than the default highest clock speed for a single core which equates to an extra 400MHz or more when you combine the aggregate processing power added across all 4 cores and the cache is clocked at around 4.3GHz rather than the typical max of around 4.0~4.2GHz.  It is not an incredible overclock by any means, and many have reached 5GHz or more with the same model CPU, however for a 15" laptop, and without any overclocking of the core voltage (and actually undervolting so that it uses less power, not more) to reach 4.6GHz across all cores is pretty impressive.

Likewise, my GPU core for my graphics card too is a well binned chip.  NVIDIA made a decision when they launched their mobile versions of their Pascal (GTX 1000 series) GPUs that they would reserve the best performing, most efficient, highest clocking silicon/chips for their mobile parts.  The net result is that I have a cooler running, faster/higher clocking GPU than would be typical for this model and my mobile version of my GPU actually performs better and gives me higher framerates than the equivalent desktop version of the same chip/card.  It is the first time in the history of computing that a laptop's GPU is on equal footing or even superior to its desktop counterpart.

There is generally no way to know if the CPU you have is well binned or not, you just have to test it and see what it can do, see how low you can push the voltages and how high you can get the core clocks while still maintaining stability.  There are actually websites that sell pre-binned chips which they have tested and therefore can guarantee that the CPUs they sell (at a rather high markup) will reach a given clock speed at a specified voltage (for example, 5GHz at 1.3v).  Two such sites that sell these pre-binned chips are Silicon Lottery (named such for obvious reasons) and Case King and they make a lot of money selling these pre-binned CPUs.  I didn't buy from them; I got my laptop pre-built from an OEM that makes custom high end laptops.  I just happened to get lucky in this instance with good silicon/chips capable of running fast without getting too hot.

@sman @Porthos @exile360, thanks for all that info. I am not into all that any longer (TBO). I will just stick with my 3 W7 PCs and they will keep me going. I may purchase a new laptop with W10 and transfer some of my work on that. Pity that W10 does not support Home-group but them is the breaks. My main work which has kept me busy for the past 30 years are the Family Trees (8) going back to 16th century to present day.

BTW. Wish you all a very Prosperous 2020! Better early than forgetting. 🤣👍

1 hour ago, sman said:

Did come across 'Silicon Lottery' but didn't check details. Tks for info @exile360 ..

But, does your overclocking voids warranty of your system and post-sale service?

No, not at all.  Both Intel and the OEM's honor their warranties on K SKU CPUs for overclocking because they are designed for it (that's why they are unlocked to begin with).  That said, my CPU is also delidded with the internal thermal interface material (TIM) replaced with liquid metal, though that was done for my by the system manufacturer so while doing that does void Intel's warranty on the part, the OEM still honors their warranty for the system and CPU so it doesn't matter.

Liquid metal is only corrosive to certain metals and the rate of corrosion is so slow that it is irrelevant.  I've seen tests done on various components and the worst so far has been merely cosmetic damage (discoloration mostly), no actual pitting or material deterioration so it's fine.  The IHS is pure copper with a nickel coating so the worst the liquid metal will do is perhaps eat away at the thin nickel coating a bit.  People have been delidding Intel chips for years (ever since Intel stopped using solder between the silicon and IHS and started using their rather lackluster paste) and using liquid metal to improve heat transfer to the IHS from the silicon.

LOL, no, liquid nitrogen is not an option.  That is just a cooling method used by extreme overclockers for setting records.  Unless you had some kind of insane setup (which would be very expensive and would run up a huge power bill, not to mention the insane cost of LN2 (liquid nitrogen)) to automatically pump liquid nitrogen over a custom LN2 pot, there's no way to use liquid nitrogen for everyday operation.

Liquid metal is just a gallium alloy with a texture sort of similar to mercury that conducts heat better than normal thermal pastes and is often used for delidded CPUs to create an interface between the silicon chip itself and the integrated heat spreader (IHS) that is attached on top (the metal plate on the CPU which is normally glued in place and has the name and serial number/model number of the CPU on it that interfaces with the CPU cooler).

Right, but when delidding it's a different story.  I'm not using liquid metal between the heatsync and the IHS, I'm using it between the raw silicon die and the IHS so there is nothing for it to potentially spill onto to cause any shorts.  The company that built my rig put it there, and I'm positive they wouldn't do something that would endanger my system since they are the ones who would have to pay to fix it if doing so caused any harm.  Besides that, it's been years since I got this system and the liquid metal has been in place this entire time and the system still works perfectly well.

If you want to learn more about this stuff go watch some videos from the likes of Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed and Actually Hardcore Overclocking.  You'll learn all about delidding, using liquid metal (and when not to), LN2/liquid nitrogen and pretty much everything else dealing with overclocking and keeping temps cool.