MAXBAR1

Information about Paragon Firewall - Network Monitor

It has been published on the Mac AppStore Paragon Firewall - Network Monitor  

Being a free download I made the purchase, because recommended by an Italian blog that talks about Apple, but I stopped the installation before authorizing the system extension in privacy panel and I had uninstall the App in order to get more information about it.

Despite this in the folder /Library/SystemExtensions there is a sub-folder, called 70A4731C-2F4C-4B82-9857-DB4F3372F736 with inside  the app has left its extension called com.paragon-software.FirewallApp.NetworkFilterExtension.systemextension, and a file called db.plist

I wanted to know what you thought of the software and if it is risky to leave this extension in the system which however is not removable.

Thanks to everyone who will help me and Merry Christmas to all the staff and forum users.

Massimiliano

I trust Paragon extensively. If the extension is not removable, I'd strongly suggest, reporting this to them (they're usually pretty quick at fixing issues).

Can't comment on the application myself, as I don't have a Mac/iPhone, to test it on.

I’m sure we can find a way to remove the extension if you decide not to go forward with the software and suspect it won’t impact performance in any way without having the rest of the software being installed.

Paragon has had an excellent reputation with a variety of applications for over two decades, but this seems to be a new area for them, an I’m unfamiliar with it. I’m a long time Little Snitch user and see no reason to switch.

If I try to delete the extension it says that I don't have the permissions to act on the folder and in fact only the system has the permissions.  I would prefer to be able to remove everything also because I have never managed a firewall and therefore I don't know where to start;  I downloaded it just out of curiosity without considering any complications.

That app appears to be using a new NetworkExtension, which is part of the new System Extension technology in macOS Catalina. Such extensions can be loaded at startup, prior to any third-party software loading, and cannot be removed manually. If you delete the application and restart the computer, however, it should remove the extension.