MonkeyManofLife

ANSWERED Rust game False Positive

Hello, while trying to join a server on rust I got a notification from Malwarebytes about a detection from a website with a trojan. I got this same thing with Garry's mod when joining servers, which is made by the same developers. I'm wondering if this is a false positive or it's a real thing and I should be cleaning my computer right now. 

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-

IP Address: 134.255.218.189

(end)

Thank you!

Edited by thisisu

Hi,

It was blocked for malicious content:

http://134.255.218.189/naxxx.exe

But it's not there anymore so will be unblocked in an upcoming database update

Regards

Edited by thisisu

58 minutes ago, MonkeyManofLife said:

Okay, well Malwarebytes gives me a notification just like this every time I join a server on rust or garrys mod so am I safe to join servers or should I not?

What's the latest notification you are getting? 

56 minutes ago, MonkeyManofLife said:

Also, could I get this thread removed?

Probably not as I like to put this thread as a reference of why a domain/IP was unblocked in case it comes up again. I can edit/hide your messages if you'd like ? To where it just shows the IP in question.

Yeah that I would be great, I just feel like the log has some of my computer info or something, but I'm probably just paranoid. Well, I haven't tried to join a server again but it is just a different ip address or sometimes the same one. 

14 minutes ago, MonkeyManofLife said:

Yeah that I would be great, I just feel like the log has some of my computer info or something, but I'm probably just paranoid. Well, I haven't tried to join a server again but it is just a different ip address or sometimes the same one. 

Edited your initial post so minimal information is given.

Be sure to update your Malwarebytes update prior to joining a server. If you're still getting a detection, it should be from a different IP as the one above was unblocked. Give us that IP and we'll review.

Regards

I think you're ok to continue playing the games you were. If you're still getting notifications while playing them, share with us what is being blocked so that we can review.

Just FYI, you can also whitelist your individual games so that they will no longer be blocked whenever they attempt to connect to any servers.  This should be relatively safe given the fact that most threats do not enter systems directly through game servers and the blocks are usually the result of some other site/content sharing the same server/IP and/or hosting provider that is hosting malicious content.  If you wish to do so, just follow the instructions under the Allow an application to connect to the Internet section of this support article for each of the games' main EXE's that are being blocked and Malwarebytes will allow all connections for those specific applications while still preventing access to/from any malicious servers for your other programs such as your web browsers.

Obviously you don't have to do that, and you are certainly welcome to continue reporting each block as it occurs to have them checked/verified and whitelisted if necessary, but if it is something that happens frequently and interferes with your ability to enjoy your games then the option to exclude your games is always there if you want it.