Seydlitz_181

Is Browser Guard supposed to slow down website loading by this much....!?

Little preface here, I am currently using Brave Browser, not Chrome - posting here since it also uses the Chrome extensions. I've had similar issues on Opera before but seemingly not on Firefox.

I understand if you are going to say that unless i'm using Chrome or Firefox you can't guarantee anything, but I'd like to put this out there so that future performance can improve on alternative browsers like Brave, Vivaldi, Opera etc.

Issue: Extreme slow loading of websites that haven't at least been cached/visited recently. For example, clicking the link to take me to the Browser Guard section of the Malwarebytes forums took 79 seconds to load. Ok, I was counting in my head, not with a timer but when the loading time is +1 minute, a couple seconds either side don't really matter.

With the Browser Guard disabled all loads quickly.

Occasionally Brave will inform me that Browser Guard has stopped working or ran into an issue, and I can opt to restart it.

On fiber optic internet here and while not the fastest in the world, it does a reasonable job.

Any other information I can provide that would help you identify issues?

Greetings,

There was an issue recently with an update to Malwarebytes Browser Guard that caused problems with sites loading on some systems.  Please try uninstalling Malwarebytes Browser Guard, closing and reopening your web browser, then reinstalling and updating Malwarebytes Browser Guard to see if that resolves the issue.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

6 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

There was an issue recently with an update to Malwarebytes Browser Guard that caused problems with sites loading on some systems.  Please try uninstalling Malwarebytes Browser Guard, closing and reopening your web browser, then reinstalling and updating Malwarebytes Browser Guard to see if that resolves the issue.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

It looks like that may have done it - time will tell but working for now, thanks.

I'm using Chrome 79.0.3945.88 and have uninstalled/reinstalled Browser Guard several times. This extension no longer crashes (as it was doing a few days ago) BUT it does drastically slow down the loading of web pages. For example, bringing up Yahoo Mail takes almost 10 seconds, while it I turn OFF Browser Guard my Yahoo Mail come up in about 1 second! After I've brought up a web site ONCE, it comes up much faster the next time (but only in that Chrome session!) Is this amount of slowdown to be expected? (My system uses an i5-6400 CPU with 8GB of memory, and my internet download speed is about 28Mbps.)

9 minutes ago, wbrells said:

and my internet download speed is about 28Mbps.

That is a limiting factor but what OTHER extensions are you using in Chrome?

I have no other extensions enabled. I AM using the Raspberry Pi version of Pi-hole to block ads. However, PI-hole is active whether or not Browser Guard is activated. I know my internet speed is not super fast, but without Browser Guard almost all web sites come up quickly...

It still seems that Browser Guard is unacceptably slowing down the loading of web pages. I notice this particularly with Yahoo Mail, but other web sites take at least several extra seconds to load when Browser Guard is active. I don't see why my internet connection speed (which isn't all THAT slow) should really have much effect on Browser Guard. (Since Browser Guard doesn't bring up extra web pages I assume it is doing most of its checking via the Malware web site.) 

Prior to using Browser Guard I was using the WebRoot browser extension to check for malicious web sites, and that product did NOT seem to slow down the loading of web pages to any noticeable extent. I really hope something can be done to speed up Browser Guard, because currently it is just to slow to use!!

i went to the yahoo-mail webpages and they loaded instantly on my windows 10 computer. super-fast. in other words, malwarebytes browser guard is not causing a problem on my end.

what type of device are you using, and what OS is the device running?

you say you are using "raspberry pi-hole". is it a raspberry cell-phone? maybe there is a conflict between your raspberry pi-hole and malwarebytes browser guard?

The only possibility I can think of is that perhaps some pages are loading more slowly because they are waiting for content/connections which have been blocked (such as ads and/or tracking cookies/servers).  It is a behavior I see occasionally when using various ad blockers and other tools for filtering web content.  Some websites just don't like to continue loading quickly when they are waiting for certain items to load which have been blocked.  That said, I haven't really noticed any slowdowns either, at least none specifically due to Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

Well, I disabled the PiHole ad blocker and that made no noticeable difference in loading speed. (Note: PiHole is a program running on a Raspberry Pi SBC that provides a DNS service which blocks ad-serving and/or malicious web sites.) Even with PiHole disabled, it takes 10 seconds to bring up my Yahoo Mail inbox and a similar length of time to bring up the Ebay home page. Without Browser Guard these web sites come up in about 1 second. Interestingly, some other web sites come up quickly even when Browser Guard is active, while other sites show the slow loading problem. Very confusing.... Perhaps some folks can see how fast Ebay comes up on their systems when Browser Guard is running? Thanks, Wayne

11 minutes ago, wbrells said:

Perhaps some folks can see how fast Ebay comes up on their systems when Browser Guard is running? Thanks, Wayne

I personally do not use Chrome but in Firefox, Ebay and Yahoo mail are fine with browser guard on.

I'm using SRWare Iron (based on Chromium) with Malwarebytes Browser Guard (along with numerous other add-ons/filters) and ebay loads just fine for me, as do other sites.

I've done some more testing, and it really appears that the slow loading problem is limited to Chrome. When using Firefox with Browser Guard I haven't seen any problems - everything loads very quickly. (With Chrome it seems about 1/2 of the sites are slow loading; the rest are fine...) Perhaps the problem is related to some changes made in the very latest versions of Chrome? Very odd...

That is certainly a possibility, although I haven't heard of many others experiencing this issue, though of course it is always possible that they simply haven't noticed and/or haven't identified Malwarebytes as the cause.  It is also possible that it only occurs under specific operating systems and/or with specific combinations of software and/or hardware/drivers.  There are many variables that could be involved but hopefully the Malwarebytes Devs will be able to identify the root cause of the issue and get it fixed.

In the meantime, if anyone still experiencing these issues would please do the following it would be most helpful:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

53 minutes ago, wbrells said:

Wayne

You logs do show you need a restart. Please choose restart from the stat menu.

You also have quite a few extensions in Chrome compared to Firefox as well.

Edited by Porthos

I've restarted my system and recreated the ZIP file, attached. I wasn't clear as to whether Chrome should be running when generating that ZIP file  - in the current case I checked that the slow loading problem was still present, and then shut down Chrome before creating the ZIP file. The only running extension in addition to Browser Guard was Ghostery - the other extensions are turned OFF. NOTE: I tested Chrome with Ghostery turned OFF - that made no difference in loading speed.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wbrells said:

extensions are turned OFF

Off and installed are 2 different things, at least I personally think so. Although, it might just be the latest version of Google reacting different like you said already..

Chrome:
=======
CHR DefaultProfile: Default
CHR StartupUrls: Default -> "hxxps://www.google.com/"
CHR DefaultSearchURL: Default -> hxxps://ssl.gstatic.com/apps-notify/drive_96_1x.png
CHR Notifications: Default -> hxxps://calendar.google.com; hxxps://voice.google.com; hxxps://www.youtube.com
CHR Profile: C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default [2019-12-31]
CHR Extension: (Slides) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\aapocclcgogkmnckokdopfmhonfmgoek [2017-10-12]
CHR Extension: (Google Drive) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\aghbiahbpaijignceidepookljebhfak [2018-02-09]
CHR Extension: (Kindle Cloud Reader) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\aicjkkmjijnlncpkailhjcdfkechjbpl [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Google News) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\anjmejjmjfpcopbhgibcmbockpnelmhf [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Docs) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\aohghmighlieiainnegkcijnfilokake [2017-10-12]
CHR Extension: (Google Drive) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf [2018-10-16]
CHR Extension: (MG7700 online manual) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\bibgpijljddhomdcaefiackahdjpdppm [2016-11-10]
CHR Extension: (YouTube) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\blpcfgokakmgnkcojhhkbfbldkacnbeo [2016-02-21]
CHR Extension: (Google Search) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\coobgpohoikkiipiblmjeljniedjpjpf [2016-02-21]
CHR Extension: (OneDrive) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\dfbjebjoefdmibealbejoifboflijdeh [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Sheets) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\felcaaldnbdncclmgdcncolpebgiejap [2017-10-12]
CHR Extension: (Word Online) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\fiombgjlkfpdpkbhfioofeeinbehmajg [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Chrome Remote Desktop) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\gbchcmhmhahfdphkhkmpfmihenigjmpp [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Office Editing for Docs, Sheets & Slides) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\gbkeegbaiigmenfmjfclcdgdpimamgkj [2019-12-19]
CHR Extension: (Google Docs Offline) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\ghbmnnjooekpmoecnnnilnnbdlolhkhi [2018-08-27]
CHR Extension: (File System for Dropbox) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\hlffpaajmfllggclnjppbblobdhokjhe [2019-09-10]
CHR Extension: (Kindle Cloud Reader) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\icdipabjmbhpdkjaihfjoikhjjeneebd [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Malwarebytes Browser Guard) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee [2019-12-30]
CHR Extension: (Kami - PDF and Document Annotation) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\iljojpiodmlhoehoecppliohmplbgeij [2019-08-22]
CHR Extension: (AllOaksResidents - Google Groups) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\jbgdmgloambfgeipbockilpoeeenclhb [2018-03-11]
CHR Extension: (Photopea) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\jdklklfpinionkgpmghaghehojplfjio [2019-05-17]
CHR Extension: (Zoho Writer) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\jgaeidloagadfcohacebhbkkapgpiddj [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Google Calendar - 4 days, starting Tu...) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\kjbdgfilnfhdoflbpgamdcdgpehopbep [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Gmail) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\kmhopmchchfpfdcdjodmpfaaphdclmlj [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (PadMapper) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lljagjbdinjommccodelnfmkepbdoafl [2016-02-21]
CHR Extension: (Ghostery – Privacy Ad Blocker) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\mlomiejdfkolichcflejclcbmpeaniij [2019-12-25]
CHR Extension: (Office) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\ndjpnladcallmjemlbaebfadecfhkepb [2019-12-18]
CHR Extension: (Chrome Web Store Payments) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\nmmhkkegccagdldgiimedpiccmgmieda [2019-10-03]
CHR Extension: (Yahoo Mail) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\obkjlfamhmgokmngildndfimbhlmmdop [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (TracFone Wireless | Prepaid Cell Phon...) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\oggpafofhjpbcdaidebagpbjnbmfpoek [2017-12-20]
CHR Extension: (Offline Solitaire) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\ojldfpglenpceffckkjhajofdbpkfgmn [2019-08-20]
CHR Extension: (Gmail) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\pjkljhegncpnkpknbcohdijeoejaedia [2019-04-04]
CHR Extension: (Chrome Media Router) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\pkedcjkdefgpdelpbcmbmeomcjbeemfm [2019-12-16]
CHR Profile: C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Guest Profile [2019-12-16]
CHR Profile: C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1 [2019-12-16]
CHR Extension: (Google Slides) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\aapocclcgogkmnckokdopfmhonfmgoek [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Google Docs) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\aohghmighlieiainnegkcijnfilokake [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Google Drive) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\apdfllckaahabafndbhieahigkjlhalf [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (YouTube) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\blpcfgokakmgnkcojhhkbfbldkacnbeo [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Google Search) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\coobgpohoikkiipiblmjeljniedjpjpf [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Google Sheets) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\felcaaldnbdncclmgdcncolpebgiejap [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Google Docs Offline) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\ghbmnnjooekpmoecnnnilnnbdlolhkhi [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Webroot Filtering Extension) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\kjeghcllfecehndceplomkocgfbklffd [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Application Launcher for Drive (by Google)) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\lmjegmlicamnimmfhcmpkclmigmmcbeh [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Webroot Password Manager) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\ngkhgikojglcgnckopipfdajaifmmnnc [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Chrome Web Store Payments) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\nmmhkkegccagdldgiimedpiccmgmieda [2016-02-27]
CHR Extension: (Gmail) - C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1\Extensions\pjkljhegncpnkpknbcohdijeoejaedia [2016-02-27]
CHR Profile: C:\Users\wbrel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\System Profile [2019-12-16]
CHR HKU\S-1-5-21-3575104624-3500854695-1783546713-1001\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions\...\Chrome\Extension: [lmjegmlicamnimmfhcmpkclmigmmcbeh]

Edited by Porthos

In my case Browser Guard is still slowing down the loading of many web pages when using Chrome. I do like the extra protection provided by Browser Guard, but the slow loading does get annoying. I'll put up another post if the situation changes (perhaps with an update to Chrome and/or Browser Guard). - Wayne

It's been slowing down opening of pages in Chrome for me as well. When I turn off Ads/Trackers there is a noticeable difference. I also use Ublock Origin, this is probably the issue, using two extensions that do the same thing. I've always felt that this is a bad idea, having two extensions fighting over who is going to do what will inevitably cause issues. Turning off ad blocking in MBG and using UBO results in the best of both worlds, the superb ad blocking of UBO in combination with the pups/scams etc blocking of MBG. Your mileage may vary on your computer.

1 hour ago, digmorcrusher said:

I also use Ublock Origin, this is probably the issue

Turn off the following setting in Ublock.See if that helps. Restart the browser. I helped for my clients using Chrome.

ublock prefetch.png

Edited by Porthos

Thanks for tip Porthos, didn't make a difference. I find it strange that on the page I was using for testing this that UBO blocked 15 items and MBG blocked over 150. Why is MBG blocking 10x more than UBO and is this the reason why web pages are loading more slowly?

I been having issues for awhile now and just thought Google Chrome became slow. I then decided to remove the only two addons I used which one of them was Malwarebtyes Browser Guard. Then I decided to reset Google Chrome to default.

Launched Chrome afterwards everything is back to be fast and speedy. So I decided to start installing addons first addon being ABP - Still fast. I then proceeded with Browser Guard from Malwarebytes - Things went to heck websites took forever to load if not sometimes over 2+ minutes.

Decided to uninstall all addons reset Chrome back to default and just keep ABP for now. I have no plans on adding Browser Guard until this is fixed some how.

As I run both ABP and Browser Guard on Firefox with zero issues. It's just Chrome I feel like it runs terrible on.

I just thought I'd chime in on this because it's been driving me insane as I prefer to use Chrome for being less clunky of a browser.

I'm glad someone else is seeing the same Chrome/Malware Browser Guard slowdown that I've reported! I'm not using any other adblocker (except for the Raspberry Pi  based PiHole as mentioned above). As reported by mmjr2000, the MBG slowdown does not seem to occur when using Firefox, but for several reasons I really need to use Chrome. The slowdown with Chrome is so severe that I can't really live with it, so I'm keeping MBG turned Off until a solution to this problem is found.