Latest version of Malwarebytes will not download on Mac Yosemite

Hi,

I still have a MacBook Pro on which, until I get a new one, I use OS X Yosemite. I don't want to upgrade the system on this computer because I know from previous experience that it can cause problems. My malwarebytes subscription has just renewed, with a new activation key, but I see that I can't download the latest version of malwarebytes onto Yosemite. Does this mean that my subscription is no longer operative, and that the old version of malwarebytes will stop working?

Thanks for any orientation,

Nick Rider

You shouldn't have any problems with it not working or continuing to get Protection Updates, but it's doubtful that there will ever be any updates to version 3 and it's possible that at some point it may not be able read new Protection Updates.

As to problems you might have by upgrading your system, those are almost always less of a issue than using a system that is no longer supported by Apple and no longer receiving security updates. Malwarebytes is not likely to protect you against malware targeting unpatched Yosemite vulnerabilities.

You cannot download Malwarebytes version 4.x because it has the minimum requirement macOS 10.11 El Capitan

Your 3.x version will always work

If I'm not too indiscreet, can I ask you which MacBook Pro you have?

I ask this because with a MacBook Pro 13 "Mid 2012 (in which I installed the SSD and 10 Gb RAM) I quietly use macOS 10.15.2 Catalina

I hope I was helpful

Good day

Massimiliano

• Staff

Hi @NickRider2,

You can still download the latest version of 3.9.32, which is compatible with Yosemite, from here:

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3-mac-legacy

That should work just fine for now with Yosemite. The program will still receive database/protection updates.

Also, skip the program update notification if 3.9.32 is already installed on Yosemite.

Hi again,

Thanks for all the comments, very helpful. I guess I should look more into updating my Mac OS (or getting a new laptop...).

My MacBook Pro is a 15 mid-2014, so newer than 2012. It's just that previously with upgrades of operating systems from the 'root' system that a computer was bought with I've noticed a serious drop in speed.

Very best,

Nick

6 minutes ago, NickRider2 said:

It's just that previously with upgrades of operating systems from the 'root' system that a computer was bought with I've noticed a serious drop in speed.

what you say, in my opinion,  is more a problem of the Windows world.
Obviously the argument is valid if you have the SSD and not the HDD

Obviously it is always essential to make a backup before each update so as to be able to restore the previous situation in case of problems;
it is also always possible to make a clean installation; this year the system is only 64 bit so any app can take advantage of all available memory.

Edited by MAXBAR1
Added informations

• Staff
3 hours ago, NickRider2 said:

My MacBook Pro is a 15 mid-2014, so newer than 2012. It's just that previously with upgrades of operating systems from the 'root' system that a computer was bought with I've noticed a serious drop in speed.

I've got a mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro that is running macOS Mojave, and it's just fine. I haven't updated that one to Catalina yet, but I don't see any reason why it should slow down on Catalina. But, I've got an SSD, 16 GB of RAM, and a fair bit of free disk space. Depending on the configuration of your machine, you may have different results.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 3:06 AM, adas said:

You can still download the latest version of 3.9.32, which is compatible with Yosemite, from here:

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3-mac-legacy

That should work just fine for now with Yosemite. The program will still receive database/protection updates.

Does v3.9.32 still support OS 10.10? 

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1896 says it does, but then the "Usage Requirements for Malwarebytes for Mac v3" link in that table there (https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3379says "Operating System: minimum macOS 10.11".

I'm helping someone with Yosemite (10.10.5) and use Malwarebytes myself (but not on Mac) so wanted to help them get this because they're having some issues I think Malwarebytes could help with. I'm not confident about upgrading their OS for them, and they don't have a backup method already either, so I'd like to just help them with the issue at hand. They seem to be having adware issues in Chrome, even with all extensions disabled, and didn't have any security apps. They thought they did, but that ended up being on a different computer (Mac laptop). I thought they were going to install McAfee, which is what they have on the laptop, but they installed Total AV instead. That one seems iffy, so I'd really like to recommend Malwarebytes to them and help them install it... and possibly remove Total AV as well. I don't really want to get into upgrading their OS and such.

• Staff
1 hour ago, JJantimalware said:

Does v3.9.32 still support OS 10.10? 

Yup, any 3.x version supports 10.10. Support for 10.10 was dropped in 4.0. I'll check out that document you referred to, as it looks like it needs to be corrected.

Note that Malwarebytes will remove whatever adware caused these problems, but can't actually fix all the symptoms that may result from changes to browser (and other) settings. Make sure to review this post:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/236261-how-to-remove-the-after-effects-of-adware/

Finally, note that your feelings about Total AV are correct, and it is something we will detect and remove. :) 

• Staff

Hi @JJantimalware,

Please correct, if I am missing something. In the doc-3379, the minimum OS requirement is 10.10. Could not find 10.11 anywhere in the doc.

13 hours ago, JJantimalware said:

but then the "Usage Requirements for Malwarebytes for Mac v3" link in that table there (https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3379says "Operating System: minimum macOS 10.11".

image.thumb.png.ae055dea9b2b49a361d5d4629de14efc.png

5 minutes ago, JimDB said:

Isn't ClamX sufficient for my Yosemite oldie?

Probably. It still supports Snow Leopard after all this time.

It won’t hurt to keep Malwarebytes v3, even in free mode, until/unless they stop supporting it.