maffeo5

Malarebytes service - very high cpu initial usage

Every morning when my SP4 awakens from sleep, malwarebytes starts scanning, driving my cpu usage to 100% for around 10 minutes. To be fair, onedrive is another big contributor, but MBAM is especially bad.

I would ideally like to throttle MBAM's cpu usage. Alternatively, I want to delay the scan.

In looking at the malwarebytes service, I see that there are startup parameters, but they don't appear to be accessible. I'm hoping that there is a way to solve my issue. I am seriously thinking about dumping MBAM because of this annoying behaviour.

Greetings,

You can likely resolve this by modifying or deleting the default scheduled scan as that is likely the source of the high resource usage.  Scheduled scans automatically use less CPU resources than manual scans as they run as low priority tasks of however it still uses quite a bit obviously so modifying or removing the default scheduled scan is likely the solution.  By default it is configured to run the next time the system is available after missing a scheduled scan.  To edit or delete the scheduled scan please refer to the information in this support article.  In particular pay close attention to the If missed, scan at next opportunity setting under Advanced in the scheduled scan editor as this is likely the setting causing the behavior your describe.

I hope this helps and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't really address the problem. I use my system intermittently and it is usually asleep. So the service will always start at an inopportune time, i.e. when I need to do something. If I turn off the Advanced option, then I will likely forget to start it and then not be protected. 

There should at least be a way to suspend or postpone the scan. A simple prompt would do the job. Or allowing for a delay of say 10 minutes after the computer has been awoken. 

Having said that, the problem is that malwarebytes runs full bore without considering the system load at the worst possible time. Once it and other bad stuff (notably OneDrive) starts, I'm effectively locked out of the computer for a couple of minutes.

1 minute ago, maffeo5 said:

then I will likely forget to start it and then not be protected. 

The scheduled scans are not as important as the real time protection. In you shoes, I would delete the auto scans and do a manual scan from time to time when you are not doing anything.

Thanks again for the speedy reply. I do that. It's better than uninstalling the product, at least.

Yeah, I agree.  The real-time protection should prevent any threats so running the scans is really just for peace of mind and you can do those occasionally as part of your normal maintenance (like when you do your other maintenance tasks like updating, deleting junk files etc.).  I personally always delete the default scheduled scan and this is how I do it as well.  I just scan occasionally as a part of normal maintenance and because I have protection active there is really no need to have the product scanning every day.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't really address the problem. I use my system intermittently and it is usually asleep. So the service will always start at an inopportune time, i.e. when I need to do something. If I turn off the Advanced option, then I will likely forget to start it and then not be protected. 

There should at least be a way to suspend or postpone the scan. A simple prompt would do the job. Or allowing for a delay of say 10 minutes after the computer has been awoken. 

Having said that, the problem is that malwarebytes runs full bore without considering the system load at the worst possible time. Once it and other bad stuff (notably OneDrive) starts, I'm effectively locked out of the computer for a couple of minutes.

@exile360 - I appreciate your confirmation that daily scans are not needed and that the real-time protection is sufficient. I did remove the regular scans and things were noticeably better this morning!