Holiday greetings to all. Have Dell desktop, Windows 7 with Malware-bytes Premium. Works fine except when accessing Target.Com website. When I use Google via Firefox to access Target.Com website I get the full screen ad warning of all sorts of terrible things my computer has and I need to call the posted number. Of course I realize this is a scam and can kill it by using task manager and rebooting the computer. I checked ADWcleaner and it finds nothing. Ran scan with Premium and find nothing. This is the only website I have trouble with. Does anyone have ideas how this is sneaking in there and how I could clear it.  Many thanks in advance for your input .......

Hi, 

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible.

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

You mentioned a message-screen-display showing up whn using FIREFOX.    and that .....it showed....." to call the posted number".

The screen you described is a kind of malvertisement and does not come from your PC. It emanates from the Internet and exists as Browser based alert and not something from some thing on your computer. Malwarebytes won't "catch it" for that reason.

Browser lockers reside in the browser cache only, it does not involve actual malware on your computer. This is a fake, made-up “warning page” designed to lure you into a scam.

Please keep in mind that the computer mouse and the keyboard can still be used to get rid ( close out) the screen.

Cleaning the browser history removes the pop-up. ( tips below ).

Tech support scammers use fake warnings and lie about the state of your computer to frighten you into calling them & then flim-flam you into a so called cleanup or perhaps, some maintenance scam.

Getting rid of bogus screen (s)

Look at the very topmost right corner of the browser itself.
I mean the one for Chrome or Firefox or Edge browser itself ( or matter of fact any browser).
Move the mouse pointer over the X at the very far right-top corner and click that.
That will close the browser and its display and the audio too ( if any).

You could also use Alt-key + F then click on Exit.

Other ways available, if the one above is not a success.
You can easily use keyboard key-press shortcuts to get rid of the false pages displayed. ( see below). And if there is any video with this, it will stop when the page is closed.

When this fake is in the foreground and in a web browser, there are many ways to get it off the screen.
I would suggest to do a few keyboard presses to get rid of the windows on-screen.

press and hold CTRL key on keyboard and then tap W key. CTRL + W 
image.png.deada2f1418035ad9448cbaa073f1d58.png

That should close the Tab page of the web browser in the foreground.
You can repeat as needed.

Every web browser will recognize the CTRL+W key-presses as a "close this window" command.

Other ways to get rid of screen:
Press and hold ALT-key on keyboard and then tap the F4 function key a to get the foreground windows closed and done away with. ( repeat use of ALT + F4 sequence). 

image.png.bef722fec0139024f6d8435c5a7a5398.png

ALT + F4 is especially helpful against the smaller window ( if any) that is up in front.
If your machine is a notebook or laptop, you should depress and hold the ALT + FN (function key) + F4 keys.

ALT + HOME key on the keyboard will put your browser page back onto your prior choice for Home page. That easily deals with the bigger full page displayed.
Then while still in the web browser, press and hold SHIFT + CTRL + DELete keys to start the process to delete all browser cache & history.

Thank you Maurice for your quick response and informative input. I have made a copy of your message and will keep it for future use. Ironically since I have Windows 7 I am in the market for a new 10 computer and will replace this one in the next few weeks. In  the meantime I guess I will just stay off of the Target.Com website as I can live with that for the time being. As an aside I have other browsers and I did not try the website with them to see if they were affected also. If this problem manifests itself on other websites I will repost and ask for further assistance. At least I have a starting point now to clear the screen. Once again thank you for your precise instruction ...  

You are welcome.  Closing the 'bogus " window and clearing the cache on the browser usually is what gets that bogus / scam screen gone.

There should be no hesitation to visit https;//target.com

Do some follow-ups on all your web browsers.

[   1    ]

See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera.

Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".

[   2   ]I

f this pc has the Google Chrome browser, or the Brave browser, I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome,

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup.

[  3   ]

If the pc has Mozilla Firefox, to get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard  Firefox extension.

Open this link in your Firefox browser  

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

Then proceed with the setup.

That link is for English US.   There are other language version.  Just go to the very bottom right of the page and look at “Change language” list drop down.

[   4   ]

Look at the following Malwarebytes Blog article and scroll down to the section marked *Clear your browser's cache
and do that for each of your web browser programs.

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/puppum/2017/04/adware-the-series-part-1/

Just fine. I cleared everything out of Firefox using your instructions and problem is gone. I have copied the information you posted and read some of the references and have a better understanding of the problem and why it affected me. Once again thanks for your insightful responses to my question ......

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks