arleetel

Laptop cannot make connection to computer.

Both have Windows 10 Home Edition 1903.18362.535 64 bit on it.

printer : HP Officejet 6600

The initial purpose was to share the printer HP Officejet 6600 (usb connected)that is set as shared on the computer and working, on the laptop I get the error : Windows cannot connect to the printer. Check the printer name. If it is a network printer make sure it is turned on and that the printer address is correct.

I checked all that.

Since this failed I tried to make a network connection from the laptop to the computer with the result hereafter.

On the laptop : file and print resource (DESKTOP-L....) is online but isn’t responding to connection attempts : error code 0x80070035.The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable.Windows couldn’t find any problem with the firewall on your computer.

netbios over TCP/IP is enabled,

Network discovery is on, file and printer sharing as well and the printer is marked as shared.

I changed the settings accordingly on both desktop and laptop.

SMB1 = enabled, Sharing wizard is checked in folder options, Function discovery resource publication and funtion discovery provider host is set to automatic.

The public folder is set to shared.

I can connect from (DESKTOP-L....) to the laptop (DESKTOP-U.....)

I ran netbscanner, same result : the computer sees the laptop, the laptop does not see the computer.

Since this going on for a while now, I hope someone can help me out, I cannot think of anything any more and followed all the recommendations I could find.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

I'm sure you likely already have, but I just wanted to make certain you checked that port 445 is not blocked in the Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security and likewise that all of the rules for file and printer sharing are enabled and set to allow for incoming connections as well as outgoing on the desktop.  Also be sure to verify that your network connection for your desktop is configured as a Home connection, not a Work or Public connection otherwise it won't be able to share anything or allow network discovery connections.

Beyond those basics all I can recommend is perhaps contacting Microsoft Support here for assistance or posting on their forums here.

I hope this helps, but if not, perhaps someone else on the forums here has some better ideas and is more versed in these types of issues (I tend to disable all sharing/remote capabilities for security since I use a standalone device).

Thank you for your reply.

I checked on KIS firewall, there was no networked printer port active nor 445. Network is configured : monitor selected ports. So I suppose it's not blocked.

Network connection is private.

I also did a network reset but this did not help.

I'll try microsoft support.

You might try the Kaspersky Labs forums as well.  I didn't realize you were using KIS.  That could definitely be the cause as I'm sure you have to configure the firewall in KIS to allow it somehow though I'm not familiar enough with it to know how it needs to be configured.

Thanks, I will try them.

After trying to get it better I think it's worse. Now I cannot connect to the laptop from the desktop any more, after restarting the computer this afternoon.

Internet became so slow and malwarebytes did not start any more.First I disabled allow downloads from other PC's, it went better just for a while.

Strange things happen, I'm aware of that.

31 minutes ago, arleetel said:

Internet became so slow and malwarebytes did not start any more.First I disabled allow downloads from other PC's, it went better just for a while.

For this I found the culprit : it's malwarebytes browser guard that crashes, it has been posted.

Yeah, there was an issue with an update for MBG earlier apparently that caused some issues but it should be corrected now.  If updating it doesn't fix it, try uninstalling it, restarting your browser then reinstalling it and updating it and that should correct the issue.

@Porthos  : thank you very much for the link, in the meantime I think I memorized that tutorial, which is very good. I tried everything, checked twice to be sure, but no it did not work. I think, since many people have that problem, it's a windows issue and as long as they don't correct it, it will not work. Their suggestion is to use One Drive but I consider that as unsafe. The only workaround I can find (since computers in the network can be seen and then disappear) is to copy the document or pricture to an USB thumb drive and print from there.

Adding a printer is impossible as long as the computers cannot communicate. It worked before with Windows 7, which was and is a far better OS that Windows 10.