teylyn

Please create an ARM64 version

I'm just rebuilding my new Surface Pro X after unwittingly installing Malwarebytes. I crashed the Surface so badly that no recovery option worked, other than a factory reset. Now I know this does not work and according to this article, https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3635,

"ARM-based Windows 10 PCs, such as Surface Pro X, are not currently compatible with Malwarebytes for Windows version 4. If you install Malwarebytes version 4 on this kind of device, technical issues may occur, such as an operating system crash.

We recommend you do not install Malwarebytes for Windows version 4 on the Surface Pro X or other ARM-based device."

Well, thanks for that. How about detecting the environment and preventing the install instead of allowing it to crash and burn the machine?

Also, how about creating an ARM64 compatible build of Malwarebytes? I have paid for the software. I'm expecting it to work on a Windows machine without me having to have a degree in computer science to figure out whether or not it may be compatible with this new machine's particular processor. That's your job.

Sincerely annoyed, 

teylyn

25 minutes ago, teylyn said:

I have paid for the software.

I personally did know about ARM devices (Never owned one.Actually I actually forgot they exist.). You can get a refund with out issue. 

Please contact Malwarebytes Support directly by filling out the form on the bottom of this page and they will assist you

Edited by Porthos

I have been asking for an ARM 64 version of Malwarebytes for a while now, but as an x86-64 user I didn't realize that there would be problems as significant as a crash. @teylyn you have my sympathies.

It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult for them to recompile Malwarebytes for a different architecture using the existing code. We should keep asking.

ARM does work a lot differently than the x86 and sooner or later as long as they keep on top of developments it may surpass the power of the x86 architecture.

Detecting specific OS for denial of installation often is not as straight forward as it seems and can potentially lead to failure to install even on valid systems. I will however voice your concerns to the team.

Thank you