BFOJ

Malwarebytes Premium 4.0.4 Review

I've been using Malwarebytes for years, I recommend it to all of my customers and install it on every computer I refurbish.  I have a concern though.  I am a bit disturbed by the following video, and you'll understand why after you view it.  Would like to know what others think, particularly someone from the Malwarebytes organization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9clWAlxZloI

Hello.     :welcome:

Regarding that video  & specifically that tester .....  This is yet another flat-file test.   Analaguous to loading up a big pile of malware onto a glass-plate ( flat file platter )  and scanning it with a microscope.

It does not match the real world on a modern pc experiencing today's threat environment, which mainly these days is the potential exposure of a  browser client program or user-email program.   It is the online events  and the user behaviors related to that.

The flat-file scanning is not the actual real modern experience.

It should be emphasized that Malwarebytes for Windows Premium has multiple protections.

You should read this post about 3rd-party testing     

You can read more about Malwarebytes for Windows (consumer)  protections, such as one by Exile360   https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/225304-antivirus/?tab=comments#comment-1226827

https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

You should  also  read this information article    https://www.malwarebytes.com/antivirus/

Edited by Maurice Naggar

24 minutes ago, BFOJ said:

Would like to know what others think

These 2 topics discuss why his testing methods are BS.

Thanks to each of you that responded.  You've restored my confidence in the latest version of Malwarebytes Premium.  I'll update my notes on the matter.

You are quite welcome.

One other mention given you do help others.  It's always a great practice to relay best practices to owners / users of those systems.

That backup is their best friend.

To keep their O.S. updated with all the latest security updates.  Ditto with their applications.

Then, one of the most important:   to watch that "click finger".

slow down & think before you "click".

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos).

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers".

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing.
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program.

Best to you.    😎

When looking how he is testing. He just run a lot of binaries which should be using signature based detection in the AV. What I know does MB trying to move away from that. And try to use AI instead to detect malware and also Anti-Exploit to detect new threats. I would rather want to see him test exploits instead of binaries.

Malwarebytes for Windows Premium has multiple layers of real-time protections.

Anti-malware

anti-exploit

anti-ransomware

malicious website protection, plus

behavior protection, plus, AI

Maurice,

Thanks for sharing.  FYI, I've been providing computer support for about 40 years so I have a pretty good handle on most facets of computer technology.  I'm glad to be a member of this forum.

19 minutes ago, unknownguy said:

When looking how he is testing. He just run a lot of binaries which should be using signature based detection in the AV. What I know does MB trying to move away from that. And try to use AI instead to detect malware and also Anti-Exploit to detect new threats. I would rather want to see him test exploits instead of binaries.

Yes, exactly.  Nearly all modern infections use exploits these days, especially ransomware (which the tester had a lot of but just executed the ransomware binaries themselves via a custom Powershell script which isn't at all how ransomware normally infects systems).  Because Malwarebytes relies so much on real-world attack vectors, properly testing it is very difficult, especially because real world threats change so rapidly so creating a reliable, repeatable testbed of numerous infections is next to impossible.

It kinda make me disappointed that so many people say that they don't trust MB because of this video. Even If I would make a post, people without knowledge which his user base is created by. It will be useless.