Beta 1.0.777 - missing tray icon

BillH99999

I just updated to the 1.0.777 beta and have a couple comments.  Here are the details.

image.png.d47cc8c8126d3c7c3e1d878e4f14e21b.png

First, I've lost the icon in the tray.  It was not there after I did the update.  I rebooted the computer and it is still not there.  I checked and it is not one of the hidden icons either.

I can see in task manager that Malwarebytes Tray Application is running.  I opened the UI and can see that all real time protections are active.  I am on Windows 10 1909.

EDIT:  I moved the next two items to a new topic for visibility.

Secondly, in the announcement posting it says there are UI changes.  What are these?  I can find nothing that is different.

Thirdly, in the announcment posting it says  some miscellaneous UI defects were fixed?  Which ones?  I have reported several bugs which don't appear to have been fixed.  Not knowing what was supposedly fixed makes it hard to know if there is still a problem or if they just weren't fixed yet.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

Greetings,

Please make sure that in addition to mbamtray.exe, that MBAMService.exe is also running (you'll need to set Task Manager to show processes from all users as the service runs under the SYSTEM account).  If it isn't running, then opening Malwarebytes should cause it to start and if the tray still doesn't show up, then I'd suggest trying a reinstall of the latest version and reinstalling the beta using the Check for updates button under the General tab in settings.

I cannot comment on the other issues you raised as they will need to be addressed by a member of the Product team.

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue is resolved or not.

Thanks

@exile360

MBAMService.exe was running.

I reinstalled using the support tool.  Same thing happened. 

First I ran the support tool which installed 1.0.770.  The icon was in the tray as usual.

I ran check for updates which updated me to 1.0.777.  At the end it said MB had to be restarted which it was.  At this point the icon was in the tray, but it had what looked like a red triangle in the corner which stayed for about 30 or 40 seconds and then the icon completely disappeared.  I didn't really get a good look at the icon before it disappeared, but it had a red mark in the corner.

MBAMService.exe is running as is mbamtray.exe.

Thanks,
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

2 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

Hopefully someone can help with the icon disappearing problem (and my other two items in my original post).

Will need new logs from the tool for them to "see" more of what is going on. If the tool does not get the logs like it should post back and alternative can be run.

Your logs show that you're running both Norton and Acronis Ransomware Protection.  It is possible that one of those applications is interfering with Malwarebytes though I lean more towards Acronis as I've seen users successfully running Malwarebytes alongside numerous Norton products without any issues.  Please try disabling or removing Acronis temporarily and restarting your system to see if that helps.  If it does, then try excluding the two applications from each other to see if that resolves the issue.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

57 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Your logs show that you're running both Norton and Acronis Ransomware Protection.  It is possible that one of those applications is interfering with Malwarebytes though I lean more towards Acronis as I've seen users successfully running Malwarebytes alongside numerous Norton products without any issues.  Please try disabling or removing Acronis temporarily and restarting your system to see if that helps.  If it does, then try excluding the two applications from each other to see if that resolves the issue.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

I have been running Acronis alongside Malwarebytes since at least mid 2018 without any problems.  I have upgraded MB along the way  from different versions of 3.x and then 4.0 and never had the icon disappear before. 

Nevertheless, I did disable Acronis and rebooted and still no MB icon in the tray.  I also added exclusions in both products and rebooted and still no icon.

Bill

This time I looked in the hidden tray icons and saw that indeed MB was there although I could barely see it.

image.png.06d646c0d359969a6c6dd06dbcfe5f15.png

I went into the taskbar settings and selected to make the icon appear in the taskbar and it does now show.  I am pretty certain that  it wasn't here before because there were only 9 icons hidden so it made the hidden icon window a perfect square and there was no place for MB to be in the square.

In any case, it is now showing in the tray.  Not really sure what happened.  I have self protect turned on at this point.

Now I just need help on my other two items in my original post.

Thanks!

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

OK, thanks.  Is the tray icon still missing when you actually open Malwarebytes?  In other words, do you see the icon in the taskbar but not in the notification area?

If so, it is possible that for some reason the tray's process (which you already confirmed is loaded according to Task Manager) might be running under the wrong user account/with the wrong level of privileges for some reason.  Check Task Manager and let us know what it shows for the User Name field for the mbamtray.exe process.  If it shows anything other than your own user account (such as SYSTEM) then that is likely the cause of the issue.

My account is the only one on the computer.  There is no user name field in my task manager... maybe because there is only one user account?

Yes it is very hard to see.  I have quite a few icons in my taskbar and in the tray and the only one that is really hard to see is MB.  I've tried other background colors, but for my eyes this works best.

Thanks,
Bill

You might have to configure Task Manager to show the user field in its view settings (I'm running 7 not 10 so I'm not positive on how it looks) but there should be an option under the Processes tab to display a column showing which user account each process is running under.  If it had been running under the SYSTEM account (the built in account Windows uses for services and other privileged/above admin level applications) that could have explained the issue but obviously it's working now so that must not have been the case.  It was probably just a hiccup after the upgrade to the new beta that sorted itself out after a few reboots.

As for the icon color, I'm pretty sure they wanted this dark/vivid blue all along but chose to use a lighter/softer blue in the past due to its similarity to the color used by default for the home edition of Windows XP (the default Luna theme), but with XP support now dropped since 2.x they decided to move forward with updating to the new darker/more vivid blue.  I like it personally, but of course I don't use a blue theme either (usually clear glass or purple for me :)).

9 hours ago, exile360 said:

You might have to configure Task Manager to show the user field in its view settings (I'm running 7 not 10 so I'm not positive on how it looks) but there should be an option under the Processes tab to display a column showing which user account each process is running under.  If it had been running under the SYSTEM account (the built in account Windows uses for services and other privileged/above admin level applications) that could have explained the issue but obviously it's working now so that must not have been the case.  It was probably just a hiccup after the upgrade to the new beta that sorted itself out after a few reboots.

As for the icon color, I'm pretty sure they wanted this dark/vivid blue all along but chose to use a lighter/softer blue in the past due to its similarity to the color used by default for the home edition of Windows XP (the default Luna theme), but with XP support now dropped since 2.x they decided to move forward with updating to the new darker/more vivid blue.  I like it personally, but of course I don't use a blue theme either (usually clear glass or purple for me :)).

I took a look and I don't think there is a way in Win 10 to add a user id column, or at least I sure can't find it.  To add addional columns you right click on the headings and a drop down appears with the columns that can be added.  User id is not one of them.  As you say, that doesn't appear to have been the problem anyway.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

5 hours ago, BillH99999 said:

I took a look and I don't think there is a way in Win 10 to add a user id column, or at least I sure can't find it.  To add addional columns you right click on the headings and a drop down appears with the columns that can be added.  User id is not one of them.

I found it; apparently it's arranged and named a little differently but it's still there.  Please refer to this article for details.