Latest update breaks Photoshop

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Greetings,

A new beta has been released; Component package version 1.0.804 however I didn't see this specific issue mentioned in the fixes for the release, but it may still be worth a try to see if it corrects the issue.  You can install it by enabling the option for beta updates near the bottom of the General tab found under settings which you can access by clicking the small gear icon in the upper right area of the main Malwarebytes UI.  Once enabled, scroll back near the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button and allow it to download and install the new update, then restart your system, remove the exclusion you created and test to see if the issue is resolved.

Please let us know how it goes and if the issue is resolved by the beta.

Thanks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow - I've also been having this problem recently and was clueless as to what was going on. Thankfully I found this thread and it has fixed the issue for me too. Many thanks for reporting it!

On 1/26/2020 at 8:45 AM, tetonbob said:

Hello, all. Please be assured, we will post to this topic when we release into our products the fix for the PhotoShop issue.

We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for keeping us updated. I started experiencing the issue earlier this month and found the Allow List solution which had worked until yesterday when I started seeing the error again. I am glad to know that MB staff is working on this and look forward to a solution.

7 minutes ago, AstronautLasso said:

Thank you for keeping us updated. I started experiencing the issue earlier this month and found the Allow List solution which had worked until yesterday when I started seeing the error again. I am glad to know that MB staff is working on this and look forward to a solution.

Hello @AstronautLasso

Are you sure you have the correct exclusion in the Allow List? I'm running the latest version of Adobe PhotoShop CC 2020 as well as the latest version of Malwarebytes and I'm not getting the error message.

Can you please remove your current exclusion and only add the following exclusion and let me know if that corrects the issue for you.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe

image.png

Thanks

6 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @AstronautLasso

Are you sure you have the correct exclusion in the Allow List? I'm running the latest version of Adobe PhotoShop CC 2020 as well as the latest version of Malwarebytes and I'm not getting the error message.

Can you please remove your current exclusion and only add the following exclusion and let me know if that corrects the issue for you.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe

image.png

Thanks

I had previously excluded node.exe from all detections, but reset detection to ransomware only per your screenshot. However, I am still seeing the error.

I am running PS 21.0.3 and MB 4.0.4.49

Actually, hold off on that. 

Please right click the icon for Malwarebytes and uncheck the Ransomware Protection. 

image.png

Then launch PhotoShop again and see if you still get that error or not

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information
40 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Actually, hold off on that. 

Please right click the icon for Malwarebytes and uncheck the Ransomware Protection. 

image.png

Then launch PhotoShop again and see if you still get that error or not

Okay, so I tried both solutions and I was still getting the Generator message at PS startup.

But then I decided to check my Windows Virus & threat protection settings and opened the Ransomware protection area where they have a link to "Allow an app through Controlled folder access."

Once there I clicked "Add an allowed app" to see if I could add node.exe there as well. A prompt actually comes up when you click that button allowing you to choose "Recently blocked apps," where I saw that a number of apps listed. Many were Adobe apps so I chose all of them. None were actually the \Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe, but adding all of these files to that list has corrected the issue for me.

I'm sure that I don't need to allow all of these filles access to resolve this issue, but I don't see why I shouldn't allow them either.

After this worked I returned to my MB settings to switch ransomware protection back on and reopened PS to make sure this still worked, which it did.

Thanks again for the assistance. Now I just need to make time to research if Microsoft is aware that this is an issue on their end.

PS_Generator_Error_Win Settings.png

11 minutes ago, AstronautLasso said:

Okay, so I tried both solutions and I was still getting the Generator message at PS startup.

But then I decided to check my Windows Virus & threat protection settings and opened the Ransomware protection area where they have a link to "Allow an app through Controlled folder access."

Once there I clicked "Add an allowed app" to see if I could add node.exe there as well. A prompt actually comes up when you click that button allowing you to choose "Recently blocked apps," where I saw that a number of apps listed. Many were Adobe apps so I chose all of them. None were actually the \Adobe Photoshop 2020\node.exe, but adding all of these files to that list has corrected the issue for me.

I'm sure that I don't need to allow all of these filles access to resolve this issue, but I don't see why I shouldn't allow them either.

After this worked I returned to my MB settings to switch ransomware protection back on and reopened PS to make sure this still worked, which it did.

Thanks again for the assistance. Now I just need to make time to research if Microsoft is aware that this is an issue on their end.

PS_Generator_Error_Win Settings.png

Process of elimination on this was quick and easy. I removed all the files on the above list except for c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Photoshop.exe and PS still started up without issue.

I'm happy I wasn't the only one struggling with it, but wasting time troubleshooting when I could've been exporting files and finishing my work was not enjoyable. Luckily I didn't have a hard deadline at the same time. I'm hoping MB is planning to fix this?

1 hour ago, captainmazda said:

I'm happy I wasn't the only one struggling with it, but wasting time troubleshooting when I could've been exporting files and finishing my work was not enjoyable. Luckily I didn't have a hard deadline at the same time. I'm hoping MB is planning to fix this?

Yes, they are working on a fix. Comment is further up https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/254622-latest-update-breaks-photoshop/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-1359395

1 hour ago, captainmazda said:

This exclusion AdvancedSetup  shows with these granular exclusion rules doesn't seem possible for me. I can only add to allow list or not. Adding node to the allow list doesn't solve the problem.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes and it solved the problem.