Erego

Install Malwarebytes on Windows10

I want to install Malwarebytes to run along Windows10 on my computer. But after downloading it, when I try to install, Microsoft Store comes on the screen and informs me that Malwarebytes is not an approved product from the Microsoft Store and prevents me from installing the Malwarebytes app.

1 hour ago, Erego said:

I want to install Malwarebytes to run along Windows10 on my computer. But after downloading it, when I try to install, Microsoft Store comes on the screen and informs me that Malwarebytes is not an approved product from the Microsoft Store and prevents me from installing the Malwarebytes app.

Sounds like you are using a computer with Windows 10 in S mode (store apps only). If this is so, there are things you can do to get it out of S mode.

Info about S mode https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-in-s-mode-faq

How do I switch out of S mode?

To increase security and performance, Windows 10 in S mode runs only apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to permanently switch out of S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode, but you won't be able to turn it back on. If you're blocked from switching and your device belongs to an organization, check with your administrator. Your organization can choose to keep all devices in S mode.

1. On your PC running Windows 10 in S mode, open Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation.
  2. Find the Switch to Windows 10 Home or Switch to Windows 10 Pro section, then select the Go to the Store link.

Note

Don't select the link under Upgrade your edition of Windows. That's a different process that will keep you in S mode.

3. On the page that appears in the Microsoft Store (Switch out of S mode or a similar page), select the Get button. After you confirm this action, you'll be able to install apps from outside the Microsoft Store.

Open Microsoft Store

Oh...okay, thanks!!👍

This is a personal PC, so I can try to switch out of S Mode. But will I be able to continue using Store apps like Skype once I am out of it??

Also, I am stuck at Step 2 because there is no 'Switch to Windows 10 Home'  or anything similar that I can click on that will take me to the 'Go To The Store' link. 

though the 'Go To The Store' link' under 'Upgrade your edition of Windows' is very much there!

10 hours ago, Erego said:

Oh...okay, thanks!!👍

This is a personal PC, so I can try to switch out of S Mode. But will I be able to continue using Store apps like Skype once I am out of it??

Yes. It would be like the rest of the world who bought a computer with a standard Win 10 install.

I don't think that you are in S mode, but simply need to change a setting.

In Settings go to Apps & Features and see what it says under Installing Apps.

If it says from the Microsoft Store Only then that is your problem. Change it to Allow Apps from Anywhere and you should be good to go.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4458596/windows-10-change-your-app-recommendation-settings

17 minutes ago, nukecad said:

If it says from the Microsoft Store Only then that is your problem. Change it to Allow Apps from Anywhere and you should be good to go.

If that can not be changed then it is  in S mode.  Many new "low cost" computers are now coming with s mode.

I have see quite a few in my shop in the last few months. I am sure I will see some more now since black Friday and now that Christmas is around the corner.

Smode.png

21 hours ago, Erego said:

there is no 'Switch to Windows 10 Home'  or anything similar

I was going on that statement, which would indicate that it's already in Home (or Pro) mode.

Windows 10 S has never really made any sense to me other than for schools, and maybe some organisations.
Why it's being sold to the public, who can fairly easily switch out of it, seems odd?
(Maybe so that your non tech savy relatives can't mess it up?).

I could understand better if it was being sold as a cheaper cut-down version that you couldn't switch to Home.

34 minutes ago, nukecad said:

I was going on that statement, which would indicate that it's already in Home (or Pro) mode.

Windows 10 S has never really made any sense to me other than for schools, and maybe some organisations.
Why it's being sold to the public, who can fairly easily switch out of it, seems odd?
(Maybe so that your non tech savy relatives can't mess it up?).

I could understand better if it was being sold as a cheaper cut-down version that you couldn't switch to Home.

Long and short of it, I want to install Malwarebytes and I am not able to do so. Anything is possible or impossible as far as computers go.

Could you go to Settings > About and either post a screenshot like Porthos did above, or tell us what is says for your Windows Edition, Verison, and OS Build?

Once we know which edition/Version you are using we will no longer be guessing about that, and so should be able to give you more focused help.

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

Could you go to Settings > About and either post a screenshot like Porthos did above, or tell us what is says for your Windows Edition, Verison, and OS Build?

Once we know which edition/Version you are using we will no longer be guessing about that, and so should be able to give you more focused help.

Yes, I have sent these details ( Version 1903, Edition 10, OS 18362 476) to Porthos, who is the Malwarebytes tech guy, as also the Systems page that he wanted, thanks!

Trouble is, I know nothing about computers but am wholly dependant on them for my work in research and I don't have no minutes to 

spare to get to know my own PC! I need (non-savvy) user-friendly interfaces but I guess companies have their own interests to take 

care of first!!

Hi Erego, go to bottom left and click Start (looks like a small flag) then left click on the cog icon "Settings" and it will open up another menu, left click the one called "Apps" and it should look like this.1588613492_ScreenShot12-02-19at10_12AM.thumb.JPG.13c990b85ccdf78f8149d9ae8a17e260.JPG

28 minutes ago, spinoxin said:

Hi Erego, go to bottom left and click Start (looks like a small flag) then left click on the cog icon "Settings" and it will open up another menu, left click the one called "Apps" and it should look like this.1588613492_ScreenShot12-02-19at10_12AM.thumb.JPG.13c990b85ccdf78f8149d9ae8a17e260.JPG

Thanks, Spinoxin! But for some reason, that route you suggested does not bring up on my computer the page you have shown here. If I use search, a default apps page appears. i am sure the page you have screenshotted is there somewhere. I will look again as soon as I find the time ( I m currently working double shifts). Can you just finish your suggestion?I will go back and look at it. 

Now I am waiting for Porthos to come up with a solution. Malwarebytes has been recommended to me by a few people. Let's see if it can be installed.

Let's see if I can show what we are meaning step-by-step.

First click the Windows icon, then the Settings icon: (It won't have 'Settings' written next to it on your machine).
image.png.f2731331e28dc7748f0b3b66eb2ffcb3.png

Next click on Apps:
image.png.e13de96d867f535d352bdc3b5c88b0d0.png

You should then get a screen that at the top includes this, note that it says here 'The Microsoft Store only (recommended)'  - if yours says the same then click on the down arrow and a list of 4 options will pop up
image.png.d85accf193cace06448356c277dd7bd9.png

image.png.3c445594b60c49cc8e64b9c99143817d.png

Click on one of the 'Anywhere' options and Windows should now let you install apps from places other than the store.

If you don't see those screens in that order, then we'll wait for Porthos to get back to you.
(Sorry I didn't know you had already sent him those details).

Edited by nukecad

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

The computer in question is Edition : Windows 10 single language  so not in s mode.

I'd never previously come across that 'single language' edition, (or the 'KN', or 'N' editions before I looked it up), you learn something new everyday.

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

I'd never previously come across that 'single language' edition, (or the 'KN', or 'N' editions before I looked it up), you learn something new everyday.

Single language is what 8.1 with Bing was. It was sold on Budget usually under $300 computers. 

This one is a AMD E1 processor. They do not even get any faster with a SSD they are so slow. In my shop I refuse to work on them any more because whatever you do to them SSD, max ram nothing helps. I wont waste my time and the clients money on those. I can sell someone a I5 8gig 256 SSD refurb business class laptop for 3-400 USD.