Hilltops

Programs take a very long time to start up after update 4.0.4

Aha, that explains it.

About removing Avira, I'm sorry but I'll wait for the devs to jump in and see what they come up with before starting to experiment with my system. I'm sure one of the scenarios for all this is a possible conflict between MB and Avira but other issues are possible as well.  I noticed that others are having similar issues and I doubt that all of them are using Avira.

A day and a half later. The scanner is still hung trying to complete the update cycle. As you can see, this has been going on for more that 31 hours. I will turn down the PC for the night and when I boot it up tomorrow morning, the timer will just continue (as it did this morning). Hope you guys come up with a solution soon because my system is (partly) unprotected......23044457_HungScanner.png.dd3945cce8d4c49531deeddddd0a73f0.png

On 12/14/2019 at 7:09 AM, Hilltops said:

I noticed that others are having similar issues and I doubt that all of them are using Avira.

We are seeing issues with Kaspersky, 360 total security, Some with Avast as well.

Would not surprise me if there are issues with Avira as well.

My.02 worth. Removing it can only help diagnose the issue further.

Thanks for the update, Porthos. With all the reports and log files, don't the devs have already enough data to pinpoint the problem in Malwarebytes? I hope you can understand that I first wait for some news and/or request for further information from the developers. More than two weeks ago, you called in their (@AdvancedSetup or @LiquidTension) help but I still haven't heard back from them. 

I did a fresh install today to check out the new version, 1.0.16318. Initially things went well but then the scanner got stuck again. Fortunately, I could cancel it but Updates turned out be stuck as well and the system had become unresponsive again.

As a new, very worrying development: MB Real-Time Protection somehow caused Avira Antivirus Real-Time Protection to become disabled and I was not able to start it up again. So, I disabled MB Protection again. This allowed Avira to be enabled again and the system to become responsive again. 

This thread is in connected to support ticket 2786918. To give you some more system data, I attached a new log file and also uploaded it through the Support Tool.

Please guys, talk to me! What's going on?!?

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hello Hilltops.

You wrote that you have a Support Ticket.   Thus one really hesitates to get involved.  That's note 1.

This pc has the free Avira antivirus.  As this pc is running Windows 10,  it comes with the built-in Windows Defender which is really capable AV.  As my colleague Porthos suggested, were you to uninstall Avira, this system would likely do just fine.  The Windows Defender in Windows 10 would then be the resident AV.  It is quite capable.

Looking briefly at your reports, I see Norton Security Scan   is installed and also has a automated task in Windows.

Task: {97ECDEC2-B632-4361-89AC-A10AF6811F90} - System32\Tasks\Norton Security Scan for User => C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security Scan\Engine\4.6.1.80\Nss.exe [848456 2018-03-13] (Symantec Corporation -> Symantec Corporation)

I would suggested removing that Task.  And uninstalling Norton Security Scan

I am curious  to know if this system had had any other 3rd-party brand of antivirus.

Then one other tip:   See to it that Malwarebytes for Windows is not registered with the Windows 10  Windows Security Center.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with WindowsSecurityCenter Click theSecurity Tab. Scroll d.own to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

When done, close the window.

Then I suggested Restart-ing Windows.

Maurice, I do appreciate your and your fellow moderators' efforts to help solve the issue but it feels like the world is upside down when you tell me to modify my system setup while it's MB's new version 4 that is causing the problems. However, I tried the following:

I did a fresh install again (1.0.1.16372/1.0785) and disabled Avira. Initially -- as was the case every time after a fresh install -- everything worked fine, including updating and scanning. But after some time -- just like all the times before -- scanning/updating (it's not clear which one was first) got hung. 

With regards to Norton, it's only a passive scan utility that I use for extra security; it only runs once a day. It doesn't interfere with MB. There are no other 3rd-party security apps on my system. Again, my current security setup has been in place and working beautifully for many years. The problems only started with MB version 4.

Further, I don't understand you when you say: "You wrote that you have a Support Ticket. Thus one really hesitates to get involved." I first addressed the issue by posting here in the forum. It was Porthos who requested input from the developers (@AdvancedSetupor @LiquidTension), a few days later followed by exile360's request (@LiquidTension), but so far there's been no reaction from them. At some point, it was recommended that  I lodge a ticket and refer to this thread. I did and I have continued to post here to keep you guys and the devs informed about the issue. So, I don't understand the hesitation. 

Finally, it has been acknowledged that other users have similar problems with version 4. Understandable for a new version but I wish I had waited a while before updating. But i did and for nearly three weeks I have been having nothing but issues with my system due to MB's new version malfunctioning. Moreover, I have no real-time protection all this time. So, I hope you understand that it's not very encouraging when I hear the problem is being transferred to my system setup instead of being looked for in Malwarebytes' own app.

3 hours ago, Hilltops said:

At some point, it was recommended that  I lodge a ticket and refer to this thread. I did and I have continued to post here to keep you guys and the devs informed about the issue. So, I don't understand the hesitation. 

When a support ticket is created, We on the forum are now out of the loop. We are asked to not duplicate efforts and assist when a ticked is created.

Since you are not willing to try our suggestions to get ver 4 working.

Please restart your computer. Do not use the MBST tool

After the restart open Malwarebytes and go to Settings, Account Details - and deactivate the program. Make sure you have the email or license number written down and saved.

Then go into Control Panel, Programs, Add/Remove and uninstall Malwarebytes 4 and reboot when asked.

Then you can download the installer for version 3.8.3 from this link
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3-windows-legacy

Then install version 3.x and activate it.

Then review these articles on how to prevent version 4 from automatically requesting to install again for now.

Constant upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows v3
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2465

Turn off upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows v3
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2142

Now you should have protection again.

Edited by Porthos

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

Since you are not willing to try our suggestions to get ver 4 working.

Thank you for the detailed instructions and what a relief it is to have working malware protection again!!!!!

However, I feel slighted by your above remark. I followed all directions I received, except for removing Avira "to get ver 4 working" because it was clearly not the cause as other users had the same issue after updating to version 4 while using different antivirus software. 

Take a look here: 

Followed by staff acknowledgment and the forthcoming solution: 

I believe that you and your fellow moderators tried to be helpful but I must confess that I would have appreciated a bit more candor, respect and empathy from you guys. Did you really believe that Avira caused the problem? 

23 minutes ago, Hilltops said:

However, I feel slighted by your above remark. I followed all directions I received, except for removing Avira "to get ver 4 working" because it was clearly not the cause as other users had the same issue after updating to version 4 while using different antivirus software. 

It was just part of the diagnostic process. A process of elimination and that is all. And yes others especially Kaspersky users are having issues. Those using Defender do not seem to have the same issue.

It just seems like you said more issues to work out with compatibility issues with other 3rd party AV programs.

Dev's can only just set up a clean machine with any particular AV program and test. But each hardware and software setup of each users computer is different and what is happening will not happen on a base install for the dev's.

Sorry for the issues @Hilltops

No one so far that has replied is part of Staff or an employee. They are forum members such as yourself that have provided you with their learned knowledge and skill on a personal basis. Generally speaking they give the same or very similar assistance that someone from Staff such as myself would provide.

We are aware and are tracking about 50+ users with symptoms of the same issues you're posting about. However, there are many users with issues similar that are masked by other causes that are known such as an antivirus that needs exclusions or is incompatible and getting those resolved first is needed.

We are hoping to have a possible solution available after the new year. It is undergoing testing and validation so please stay tuned.

Thank you again for your support and understanding

@AdvancedSetup Thank you for that acknowledgment, AdvancedSetup, and good to know that you guys are working on a solution. Until then, I'm happy to use version 3. 

I didn't know that the moderators are volunteers and not Malwarebytes employees. It would have helped me to know this from the beginning. I appreciate their help and support, and apologize if I made them feel pressured, believing they were employees.

Just for clarification there are typically the following types of members.

• Administrators, Root Admins | all are employees.
  • Moderators | currently there are none
  • Staff | all are employees and have limited moderator rights and have the same staff image as shown in my signature
  • Experts | those that have been trained in safe malware removal
  • Trusted Advisors | those that have been trained in malware removal or otherwise have extensive computer knowledge
  • Honorary Members | those users that have been around the forums a long time and have posted often to help others in many cases

There are some other groups but those above are the most common groups on the forums.

All in all hopefully everyone here tries their best to help others and if someone is providing invalid or harmful information and it's brought to our attention then we will remove or moderate as needed.

Cheers

22 minutes ago, Hilltops said:

and apologize if I made them feel pressured, believing they were employees.

Exile360 is a former employee and holds the "title" of Expert

As for myself, I am a user since the beginning before Malwarebytes was even sold as such. I am also have a computer repair business and also MB reseller. I support/manage about 400 end users running Malwarebytes. I and a few others here hold the "title" of Trusted Advisors. We do not work for the company. We are volunteers because we love/trust the software and like helping users.

Edited by Porthos

Speaking for myself,  I have been on this board for some nearly 11   1/2   years.

Ex-employee with some nearly 6 years  as a former Malwarenaut.   I currently volunteer here.  I have used & experienced with Malwarebytes for more years than I can recall.  Used versions   prior to version 1.  That includes countless betas & releases.

The bottom line is that all of us are attempting to help you.  Sorry to see you feel that you  did not have empathy, respect, etc

Thank you all for the further explanations. Again, I appreciate all the help you offered and apologize again if any of you felt pressured by my posts. I misunderstood whom I was communicating with and felt not heard at certain moments. Luckily, in the end a staff member stepped in and clarified the situation. 

I am happy to inform that version 4.0.4.49 has resolved the issue that was subject of this thread. Thanks go to the developers and the forum team.

1 hour ago, Hilltops said:

I am happy to inform that version 4.0.4.49 has resolved the issue that was subject of this thread. Thanks go to the developers and the forum team.

Great news, Thanks for the update and continued support of Malwarebytes.