Programs take a very long time to start up after update 4.0.4

Thank you for providing all of those details and logs, hopefully the Developers will be able to use them to find the root cause of the issue and get it corrected.

@LiquidTension would you please take a look?  Thanks.

I've asked a member of Malwarebytes Support to assist us and hopefully he will be able to get the issue sorted out for you.  It is definitely an odd one, though I did just see that some other issues were being caused by certain database updates, so perhaps it is somehow related to that.  If so, then hopefully it will be resolved once they have pushed out a corrected database.

Thanks for the update, understanding and support, exile360!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies, I guess LiquidTension must not be around at the moment.  Probably on vacation for the holidays.

To get Support to work with you directly on this issue please create a support ticket by filling out the form on the bottom of this page and be sure to include a fresh set of logs from the Support Tool along with the link to your Process Monitor logs and also give them a link back to this topic in your description of the issues you're experiencing that way they can start with all of the data that you have provided up to this point (which should save a lot of back and forth and also get all that data into the hands of Support and the Dev team for analysis).

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

You're welcome.  They did release a new beta recently so you might try that while you are waiting on Support.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the gear icon in the upper right then in the General tab scroll down until you locate the option to enable beta updates and enable it, then scroll back up near the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button and it should download and install the new beta build.  Once it is finished installing, restart your system and check to see if the issue still persists.

8 minutes ago, exile360 said:

You're welcome.  They did release a new beta recently so you might try that while you are waiting on Support.  To do so, open Malwarebytes and go to settings by clicking the gear icon in the upper right then in the General tab scroll down until you locate the option to enable beta updates and enable it, then scroll back up near the top of the same tab and click the Check for updates button and it should download and install the new beta build.  Once it is finished installing, restart your system and check to see if the issue still persists.

I understood from another thread that this beta could not update from the current version 4.

You shouldn't need to scan to update.  Just open Malwarebytes and click the Check for updates button under settings in the General tab after enabling the option to install beta updates near the bottom of the same tab (you have to scroll down to see it).  If you wish to return to the release build just uninstall the beta then reinstall Malwarebytes and disable the option to install beta updates.  The download link for the latest release build is here.

I went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled MB with the clean/support tool.

With 'Beta updates' enabled, 'Check for updates' gave the message that there were no updates. A few minutes later I got the message 'Unable to check now, because an update check is already in progress.' And a while later I got the same message and then the control panel froze.  In addition, Web Protection is disabled and cannot be enabled.

So, it went from bad to worse...... 

It sounds like it is in the middle of downloading/installing the update for the beta.  Just give it a bit and allow it to finish.  It's normal for it to disable Web Protection following an update as it has to unload and reload the Web Protection databases into memory after each update.

If it doesn't return to normal in a few minutes go ahead and restart the system and try running the Start Repair option in the Support Tool and that should fix it for you.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

That certainly makes things more difficult since, at least as far as I know, there is no standalone installer for the beta.  That said, there is at least one more thing we can try.  Please try running the update from Safe Mode with Networking.  You won't be able to enable protection there, but you should be able to launch Malwarebytes manually and check for updates and hopefully it will update without getting hung up in Safe Mode.

I don't run Avast but Avira. I'm pretty sure this is an MB issue because everything else on my system works flawlessly and the problems started with the update to version 4. I remember such a situation in the past when lots of users had problems with a major MB update. Fortunately, I held off and waited for the devs to come up with a solution before updating. This time I was too eager. 😉

On 12/13/2019 at 12:36 PM, Porthos said:

Just to add. Assuming Avast is still installed... What happens if you uninstall it? Just a thought.

It isn't Avast, it's Avira, but that still could be the issue.  Exclusions might be necessary for compatibility.

The items listed in this support article should be excluded from Avira's real-time protection/added to its exclusions/allow list/trusted list (not sure exactly what it's called as I haven't used Avira in a long time).  You should also exclude Avira's program folder (likely located under C:\Program Files and/or C:\Program Files (x86)) from Malwarebytes using the method described under the Allow a file or folder section of this support article and do the same for Avira's data folder, likely located under C:\ProgramData.  Once exclusions are created restart the system and test to see if the issue is resolved.  If Avira has any kind of web filtering component/malicious website blocking component that could also be the culprit and it may be necessary to exclude Malwarebytes from it as well if possible or to add the sites listed in this support article as well as this support article to its trusted/excluded sites list if it has one.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

I checked and updated the exceptions in Avira (see screenshot). 

Afterwards a system scan got stuck again (after some 180,000 files) but fortunately I was able to cancel it without MB freezing up. Just now I checked for updates and there was one available but now it seems to be hung on installing it without any possibility to cancel it. I'll try a fresh install again.

Malwarebytes Exceptions in Alvira.png

A further update: After starting up the PC this morning, the program auto-updated but the 'Update package version' shows a lower number (see screen grab) than after the fresh install (Repair) I did last night. About an hour later the system became unresponsive again. Updates seem to be hung again: 'Unable to check now, because an update check is already in progress. I disabled Real-Time Protection and the system functions normally again. 

298373990_MBVersionInformation.png.38391c58215d8cd1c437cc8fa35c77d1.png

Yes, when you see that '1.0.0' for the update package like that it usually means an update failed.

I would like to try one more thing just to make absolutely certain that this issue is not somehow being caused by Avira though, if only to eliminate it as a variable.  Please try removing Avira completely by uninstalling it, then reboot, then do the following:

1. Run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Once that is done, try updating Malwarebytes again and see if it now works.  If it does then we'll have our answer; it is likely a conflict between the new version of Malwarebytes and Avira.  If it doesn't then we'll know to look elsewhere.