When an update to Malwarebytes becomes available, it would be nice if the user was given more information before updating. When an update becomes available it's standard for well-written software to provide the user with:

- the version number of the release they're currently running,

- the version number of the new release, and

- access to release notes so that the user can determine what will change with the new update

and all before the update is applied and without the user having to go information-hunting outside the update process.

I think that would be a nice and helpful addition to Malwarebytes. As it is now, Malwarebytes informs me that there's an update available and allows me to chose whether to update, but that's it - without the aforementioned information-hunting I have no idea what version I'm running, what version I'll be updating to, nor what will change.

Thanks!

Version number of the release currently being run is available by selecting "About Malwarebytes..." from the Malwarebytes menu.

Version number and date are available along with the release notes on this page by clicking on "Release History" on the right side:

https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/mac.

Thank you, but my whole complaint is that this information should be presented all in the same place, in the app, without the user having to go information-hunting outside the update process.

Look at Default Folder X's approach to update notification and installation to see one example among many of how this is correctly done.

Everything one can want to know or do about the update - notification that an update is available, current version the user is running, version number of the update, full release notes, and "Install" button - can and should be presented in one window, in the app. One should not have to go anywhere or click anything in order to access all of the above; it should all appear on the user's screen as one with the notification that an update is available.

The way it's done now is like a store selling sandwiches and telling their customers that if they want mayo or mustard or napkins or a drink, those things can all be easily obtained at the convenience store three doors down the street. It's just...inconsiderate of the user.

I’m sure the staff will pass your thoughts on to the developers. 

But based on my observation of previous attempts to display Malwarebytes version numbers, it created more confusion than clarity. Users were constantly complaining that either their app or definitions were out-of-date when they were interpreting the wrong one.

Although I’m very much like you in wanting details, I strongly suspect that most users don’t really find a need to know anything except for an assurance that they are up-to-date without having to do any research as to what the latest is compared to what they have. And it’s great that you are happy with Default Folder X, but it’s definitely in the minority as apps go.

1 hour ago, alvarnell said:

I’m sure the staff will pass your thoughts on to the developers. 

Sounds good to me.

But based on my observation of previous attempts to display Malwarebytes version numbers, it created more confusion than clarity. Users were constantly complaining that either their app or definitions were out-of-date when they were interpreting the wrong one.

That sounds to me like the version numbers must have been presented in an unclear manner. When a new version of the app becomes available, there's no need for any mention of the version of the definitions. A statement such as, "A new version of Malwarebytes is available. The new version is 4.0.30; you are currently running version 4.0.25" leaves very little room for such confusion.

Although I’m very much like you in wanting details, I strongly suspect that most users don’t really find a need to know anything except for an assurance that they are up-to-date without having to do any research as to what the latest is compared to what they have.

This is precisely my argument: the user should not have to do any research as to what the latest version is compared to what they have - nor as to what's changed in the new version - because all of that should all be presented in the same window that tells them there's an update available in the first place.

And it’s great that you are happy with Default Folder X, but it’s definitely in the minority as apps go.

In my experience, it's Malwarebytes that's in the minority in this regard; I can't think of a well-designed app that notifies the user that an update is available without giving the user any information about that update. Default Folder X provides the information I mentioned. Alfred does it. Cocktail does it. Photoshop and Lightroom do it. Microsoft Office does it, as do OpenOffice and LibreOffice and the list goes on ad infinitum, including pretty much every piece of software with a self-contained update process and a user base of more than twenty people. It's best and standard practice in the software industry to provide the user with all useful information relevant to the process underway - not to withhold it, nor make the user go in search of it outside the app.

Anyway, I respectfully request of the developers that they fold such a framework into Malwarebytes. The software seems very polished in other regards, so it's odd for it to present updates as though it had been written in 1992 by a 13-year-old coding in his basement out of boredom.

Sorry, I had forgotten that you were only referring to displays when an app update was available. I’ve been dealing with other users who want the current versions of the app and definitions prominently displayed, so much of what I said wasn’t really applicable. I guess I don’t fully agree that all your examples quickly provide sufficient detail, but fully support displaying something along the lines of what Sparkle displays with each update notice.