Malwarebytes Notification Icon Missing

I have installed Malwarebytes v 4 onto a new Windows 10 laptop. For a few days, the Malwarebytes icon appeared on startup in the notification area of the taskbar, and IK could open up or update the programme from there.

Now, when I reboot, the icon is missing. The programme still works. According to the settings in Windows, Malwarebytes should still show up in the notification area. However, mbamtray.exe does not show up as a running process. I have removed Malwarebytes using the support tool, and done a clean install. The icon is there following installation, but disappears on restart. Anyone else with the same problem, or can anyone suggest a fix?

Would adding mbamtray.exe to my startup folder help?

Hi,     :welcome:

My name is Maurice. I will be helping and guiding you, going forward on this case.

Please follow my directions as we go along.  Please do not do any changes on your own without first checking with me.

If you will be away for more than 3 consecutive days,  do try to let me know ahead of time, as much as possible.

Please only just attach   all report files, etc  that I ask for as we go along.

I would appreciate  getting some key details from this machine in order to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.5.3.749.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Thank you.

Hi Ian.

Thanks for sending the report.   It should be noted that when Windows comes out of hibernation,  one needs to allow the system a minute or so for Windows to get fully back to normality.

The reports show the real-time protections of Malwarebytes are ON.

There is though a 15 seconds startup delay that should be removed.

Start Malwarebytes.   Click the Settings icon  ( gear-icon) at the top.

Then click the Security tab.

scroll down to Windows Startup.   and click  Advanced

on the line "Delay Real-Time protection when Malwarebytes starts ....click it to the left    ( OFF  )

when done, You may the small X  to close the tab

You may exit Malwarebytes.

On the Windows Taskbar, look for the arrow-head icon near the system clock.  Click on it to see all hidden icons.

IF you see the Malwarebytes icon ( blue )  there, then use the mouse and drag the Malwarebytes icon  and drop it on a unoccupied spot on the Taskbar.

Then RESTART Windows.

Hi Maurice,

We have reached this stage:

Whenever I use the PC Malwarebytes is working and registered on the Windows Security dashboard. 

However, when I boot up at the start of each day, the icon is missing from the notification area at the bottom right of the taskbar.

If I sign out of Windows, and then back in, the icon magically appears. The icon is missing at the moment, so I am attaching a log before I sign out and back into Windows.

Kind Regards

Ian

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thanks for the MBST-grab report file.

I very much would like you to do a Upgrade run to get the latest  Component package version 1.0.764

Start Malwarebytes.   Click on the Settings  ( gear ) icon at top right of window.

On the General tab,   click on the button in blue marked "Check for Updates".

Follow all prompts.  Have patience.   A Windows Restart may be needed.

Next, while in Malwarebytes, in the Settings section, click on the tab "Security "

scroll down to Windows Security Center

on the line "Always register Malwarebytes "    click the selection to the left, so that it is Off

Close the Malwarebytes window when all done.

The reports show Malwarebytes is in Premium mode and all protections are on.

Whenever Windows is restarted  one needs to allow a bit of time for things to settle down  and for all displays on Taskbar to catch up.

This pc is being protected by Malwarebytes Premium.

Hi Maurice,

I have done the update to Malwarebytes as you recommended, and rebooted. I then switched off the 'Always Register Malwarebytes' and rebooted. The icon failed to appear, and i have  attached the log file.

I then logged off Windows and signed in again, and, as usual, the icon appeared in the notification area. It only seems to appear when I boot up, then sign out of Windows, and sign in again.

Kind Regards

Ian

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi Ian.

When Windows is started up & after it is logged in-to,  as I mentioned before , allow a couple of minutes for the system to finish its startup loading.

Dont jump into looking for the taskbar icon.   The protections will  still be running on the machine, even if you do not see the icon.

After 5 minutes, you may start Task Manager  and allow it some bit of time to settle in as well.   Then look for the processes by the name Malwarebytes as shown in Task Manager.

I do not know whether your Malwarebytes taskbar icon is included along with others in the hidden groups section   ( the one with the  up-arrow  by the system clock).

If you do not see it free-standing by the clock, then click the up arrow icon to reveal the hidden / grouped icons.   If you see the blue Malwarebytes  then do a grab with your mouse and then drag and drop it to a open spot on the taskbar.)

and thanks for the support-tool report.   They show Malwarebytes in good state  and the real-time services are protecting the machine.

My entire point has been & still is, that this pc is being protected by the program.   The icon appearing on taskbar is something that needs time and patience.

Regards.

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your help. I realise that the program is working. It's just a little irritating that the icon is not there to see that the program is actually up and running. 

When I boot up normally, the icon does not load up even after several minutes - but, as I say, if I log out of Windows and back in again it comes up immediately. It's just one of those stange things we may not get to the bottom of. Main thing is that it is actually working.

Kind Regards

Ian

Hi.

As noted, your pc is protected.
Let's  check on one section of Windows ' Settings options.

Click the Windows Settings icon on the Start menu.   ( or press WIN-key +  I  key on keyboard ).
Then click on Personalization.   Then look down the list on left  and click on "Taskbar ".
Then look down to "Notification area".
click on " Select which icons appear on the Taskbar ".

Look for Malwarebytes Tray application  &  see to it that it is ON.

Greetings,

I noticed that your logs show that fast startup is enabled.  This means that the system does not fully shut down/start up normally as Windows tries to keep some items in memory while terminating others as this is a hybrid of full hibernation and a system restart.  This feature has been known to cause issues with many programs and drivers, and this includes Malwarebytes.  It may correct the issues you're experiencing if you disable fast startup (and if you have a system with an SSD it really isn't needed anyway as it won't do much to speed up your boot times anyway).  Further details about the feature as well as how to disable it can be found here as well as here.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if it does not.

Thanks