[ RESOLVED ] access to a hotfix referenced in an older Root Admin thread

Go to solution Solved by AdvancedSetup,

Hey all ... I have tried to access help in obtaining a hotfix at 'this page' linked to in this older (Root Admin) thread by 'AdvancedSetup': https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/170731-0xc000001d-error-failed-to-initialize/

The Support Team link in that thread doesn't work and the various options on the 'Contact Us' page don't seem relevant, thus this thread/post.

Please assist ... thank you, Kevin

P.S.  my end objective here is to mitigate an M-bytes installation (of v3.0.5.1299) 'Error': "Runtime Error (at 14:76): Invalid floating point operation." in Win XP SP3 32-bit on a non-SSE2 processor-based system (Pentium III  997 MHz, 512 MB RAM), an error that also seems to correlate with an OpenCPN(.exe) 5(.0.0+9065270) 'Application Error': "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000001d).  Click on OK to terminate the application."  I believe both errors have one root cause and was hoping the hotfix at: https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/7yxf8at2gv2yu3x4h6qlvtevziq3ziut could be a solution, if only I could get my hands on it and try it.

• Root Admin
  • Solution

Hello @K_McIntosh

Malwarebytes versions 2.18 and above do require that the CPU handle SSE2 threading.  As your machine does not, there is a hotfix but it will not apply to Malwarebytes 3.x and above.  

The 'hotfix' is going to swap out the Qt5core.dll with an older version of that file so Malwarebytes 2.2.1 will install and run for you.   Again, this cannot be done with our Malwarebytes 3.x versions at all, so MBAM 2.2.1 is the highest you'll be able to go on Windows XP

Download the attached Hotfix and save it to your desktop so it is handy.

You can download and install version 2.2.1 from here https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbam_2x but you'll need to make some adjustments.

Begin the installation but don't finish it.  When it gets to the last window that states Finish and Launch Malwarebytes - stop there and run the Hotfix that you downloaded.   Simply double click to run it - it will only take a few seconds to complete.

Once that has been done, now click Finish in the installation window.

IMPORTANT:  After the installation is complete, the first thing MBAM does is try to update the database, including any new program version.
 When that starts, just exit MBAM via the notification area icon so that the process is interrupted. Or, restart the computer. Do not let it update.

Next time you start MBAM, it won't try an immediate update. You can then change the settings so it won't update the program version, only the database, detection rules. 

On the Settings tab > Update Settings > uncheck the box 'Check for program updates when checking for database updates'

Now, you should be able to update the database and stay on MBAM 2.2.1 on this machine, and it should work for you without issue.

Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip

NOTE: If you need to do a clean removal first please try the following tool. If it will not run on your machine please let me know. It's possible that you may not need to run it and I'm only providing a link in case it may be needed.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

Thanks

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated info

Porthos ... thanks for pointing that out ... I happen to have a temporary lapse of Wi-Fi in my marina ... it's been out since 31AUG19 (ISP withdrew from market) and the marina owners are dragging their feet (I think due costs, they say otherwise) on re-instating it ... but it will happen or I'm outta' there ... meanwhile, I'm getting ready by getting stuff working properly any way I can ... there are no infection issues, I just like to run a few different scanning utilities, M-bytes being one of them.  Clearly, I am trying to get a dated system on its' feet but have a better backup machine almost ready to go pending sound h/w repairs.  Kevin

46 minutes ago, K_McIntosh said:

Porthos ... you must think I'm really dumb ... so be it, thanks for stepping up anyways.  Kevin

My apologies. The majority of posters are just normal "end users" so I would be neglectful not to always post my posts with that in mind.

That being said, We have a section for technicians that is open only for Techbench members and is not available to end users. The discussion there is tech to tech and not end user level.

1 hour ago, K_McIntosh said:

as I am slated to travel to this internet-isolated machine (on a boat) today.

I have to take everything I'll need with me on a USB stick.

End users (more knowledgeable) do help out others and all the pitfalls and shortcomings of the program need to be pointed out.