old bug in version 2 even in v3 and it still now in v 4

Brief description of the issue.

a short description of the old bug problem that is still existing in Malwarebytes version 2 and 3 and even the newest currently released of the version 4   . so Malwarebytes is to performed a scheduled scans with rootkit scan option is toggled on by the user but however when an auto scan is launched by Malwarebytes itself , sometime it won’t scan for Rootkit even though this option is been already turned on and nor the "scanning for rootkit" text in the scan page will not even be displayed though .

Any screenshot(s) of error messages or other incorrect behavior (not required; include if available).

there is no any screenshot but an video available for this old bug thing . so yes I think its incorrect behavior here .

If the system crashed, please include the BSOD error message (we will reach out to you for a full memory dump).

no any app crash at this moment . and there is no Dumps crash folder either

Details on how you encountered the bug and any steps that can be taken to reproduce it.

just let the Malwarebytes to do its scheduling scanning and sometime you’ll able to to get the issue described above and thus in order to able to  reproduce it as well . also aside note : this is also occurred with the manual scans sometime :) 

Do you get the same result more than once if you follow the same steps? Y/N

yes . as I mention above I do get the almost the same results with all version of Malwarebytes which are (version 2 and 3 and 4) - and I also I have an old video for the same issue for version 2 of the Malwarebytes but not sure If I have an video for the version 3 or not so I will double-check on there :)

Edited by Gt-truth

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

There are actually 3 settings for controlling rootkit scanning, and if you don't enable the right one for the scan being run, rootkit scanning will not be enabled for that scan.  First, for Threat Scans that are run manually (not through the scheduler), you need to go to settings under the Security tab and enable the option Scan for rootkits under Scan options.

security_settings.png.787176bef59f0e4becfc7e0bb3aebde3.png

Next, for Custom Scans that you perform manually you need to enable the option to scan for rootkits by checking the box next to Scan for rootkits in the Configure Custom Scan page.

custom_scan.png.f8756c8daf7c76c0b2cbd288175e18b3.png

And finally, for scheduled scans, you need to edit your scheduled scan and click the Advanced link on the right side of the edit page for your scheduled scan and check the box next to Scan for rootkits.

scheduler.png.8af6b2c7b60bd9ba142f30067aa054a1.png

I hope that helps to clarify things.  You may also refer to the full Malwarebytes 4 user guide located here for more details about using Malwarebytes and its various features.

If that does not resolve the issue, then please make sure that fast startup is disabled if you are using Windows 10 as it may cause issues with Malwarebytes.  You can learn more and find instructions on how to disable it here as well as here.

If this does not resolve the issue then please do the following so that we may check to see what might be going on with your Malwarebytes installation:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Please let us know how it goes and whether or not the issue is resolved.

Thanks

Why even have a custom scan, it seems to cause more issues than its worth, have one option "Scan" which includes scans for rootkits. it may cause some computers to have a longer scan time but you can't please everyone. If Malwarebytes can't figure out how to make rootkit scans shorter than that is their fault. Should be 1 button, 'Scan" the details of making this work is up to staff.

thanks for clear things up with your screenshots @exile360 , however I had hard time to find some of those Malwarebytes version 4 software setting which is in your screenshots  and the things are now becoming even more complicated because Malwarebytes sometime it will automatically preforming unneeded scans when I re-lunch it from the desktop and some time the Malwarebytes is already running in startup area and when I double-clicking on its icon to have MB opened from the tray app/startup then I see an scan has been performed already without my consent and I do not think this is an scheduled scan but it might be an incorrect behavior anyway ....

I always do Enable this option which in the setting page when I have to install Malwarebytes and when I have to said the Rootkit scanning is not displayed in the scan page of the software GUI then yes . the "scanning for rootkit" sometime will not be there even though and sometime it will be there (I only had enable the scan for rootkit option in the setting page and I had leave the MB alone to scanning in the background "performed by an scheduled scan not by me"> screenshot link https://vvcap.com/4VLOjigrN ) and for my scheduled scan setting  here is another screenshot https://vvcap.com/bI7FnH0DI and for the one thing which is to be confused as well is the big scan button in the main GUI ? it has only "scan wording" and it should be (threat scan wording) anyway while when I click on it , it says its doing a Threat scan so when I had click on this button this mean it is an manual scan ? something still so complicated here

my question here is the scheduled scan is the same as when I manually runs a threat scan . custom scan or even quick scan ? or it is an auto task  that is to be called scheduled scan task ? correct?

also the fast startup has been disabled as of opening of this topic here 

@digmorcrusher that is why I do not use both quick scan and custom scan that much because I think a custom scan is probably meant to scans an portable device like (external hard drive . flash drive etc )

It is the scheduled scans, that's why you're seeing scans that you didn't initiate and also why the logs from those scans show rootkit scanning disabled.  By default Malwarebytes is configured to perform a daily scheduled scan and that scheduled scan has rootkit scanning disabled by default.  Click on the blue text where it shows the date and time of the next scheduled scan (it is just above the big blue 'Scan' button in the images you posted above) and it will take you to the scan scheduler.  If you don't want an automatic/scheduled scan to run then click on the garbage can icon that shows up next to the scheduled scan when you hover over it with your mouse as highlighted in the image below:

delete.png.8331626a07dae410731231da443e7b47.png

If you do want the scheduled scan to run but just want to enable rootkit scanning for the scheduled scan then click on the small pencil icon to the left of the garbage can icon to edit the scheduled scan then click the blue Advanced link on the right side of the scheduled scan edit window and then check the box next to the option to scan for rootkits then click Save.