I_hate_W10

MalwareBytes is not fully uninstalled

Hi Ron,

Thanks for all your help, Malwarebytes appears to work now. Unfortunately I had to uninstall it last night as I had a software crash and was unable to restore to an earlier restore point until I removed Malwarebytes. Can I make a suggestion therefore that in a future update there is a provision to disconnect all that Malwarebytes is doing so it does not prevent a restore being executed?

I still have problems on my computer (W10) which are proving difficult to resolve so once I get home next week I will be clearing my hard drive and either renewing the W10 installation or putting W7 on instead, probably the latter.

Once that is done I will re-install Malwarebytes and buy a licence.

Regards & thanks again

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, what you can do is simply right click over the icon in the system tray and Quit Malwarebytes. I've run into that issue myself even on Acronis TrueImage. However, in most cases if you've done a system restore even if you have exited out of Malwarebytes you may need to uninstall Malwarebytes or at a minimum reinstall over the top as sometimes depending on how old the difference is the meta-data in the files and folders for Malwarebytes will be out of sync and potentially cause issues. But simply exiting out will allow the restore to work.

image.png

Cheers

Is there anything else I can assist you with or is everything under control now?

Thanks

Ron

Great, glad to hear. I will go ahead then and close your topic and leave you with some information to help protect your privacy and data going forward.

If you're not backing up your data and you're still using Google Chrome then you're just not serious about Privacy, Safety, and protecting your data. Malwarebytes is a fantastic program but you still need to back up your data and you still need to block scripts and Ads in your browser. 
If you're still using Google Chrome I would highly suggest you consider using Firefox instead. For more advanced users you might consider installing NoScript as well (it does have a higher learning curve though)

PrivacyTools - Encryption and tools to protect against global mass surveillance - https://www.privacytools.io

Help Secure your browsers

You may be interested in using our new Malwarebytes Browser Guard to help protect your browser from items that uBlock or others don't target.

Please install uBlock Origin for your browsers to better protect your system.

FireFox, ChromeOpera , SafariMicrosoft Edge
AdBlock Plus for Internet Explorer

How to use uBlock Origin to protect your online privacy and security | uBlock Origin tutorial 2018
This video tutorial above explains how to use uBlock Origin in advanced user mode and all the advanced settings to protect your online privacy and help prevent unwanted sites from changing your browser settings

Delete Cookies Automatically

Cookie AutoDelete plugin
Chrome  | Firefox 

Browser push notifications: a feature asking to be abused
HTTPS Everywhere
NOTHING TO HIDE documentary

Review your email and Office choices

Quit Gmail for free encrypted email - Tutanota
Why ProtonMail Is More Secure Than Gmail
LibreOffice - Free and open source office suite

Use Password Management software

Bitwarden
KeePass Password Safe

Make sure you use a strong master password
Then set the key transformation settings (the link below helps provide information on how to choose good settings)
https://pthree.org/2016/06/29/further-investigation-into-scrypt-and-argon2-password-hashing
KeePass Password Manager: Full Detailed Setup (good YouTube video on setup and using Keepass but choose the Argon2 method for Key transformation)

Encrypted Instant Messenger and Voice Calls

Please review the following site for a breakdown of features of different Messenger applications.

SafeSwiss
Riot
Signal
Wire     
NOTE: Recent news of Wire having new investors and moving to the United States.
Wickr Me

Follow-up Reading

Everything you need to know about cybercrime
10 easy ways to prevent malware infection 
Keep your data backed up

Thank you for choosing Malwarebytes as your preferred security protection software and tell your friends and family too. We're here to help.

Ron