New 4.x version has Distorted GUI on Old Laptop

One of my computers I have MB installed on is an old Dell Laptop running my weather station software.

I started upgrading all of my computers today to what I thought was a final release version of MB 4.x.

On the old laptop I have a distorted and unusable GUI display. I can't even click on anything as it does not correspond

to anywhere I click on it. To be able to see it correctly I have to switch the laptop's driver to the Microsoft generic video driver

which gives horrible resolution. Attached is .jpg of what I am dealing with using the correct driver (NVS110M). Is there a way to disable whatever video enhancement the MB 4.x version is using?

Malwarebytes4.jpg

If this is not correctable in some way can you please give me a download link for the last 3.x version so I can install that on the laptop.

I have installed the 4.04 version on my other eight computers without issue (All paid versions)...

But I will need the last 3.x version to reinstall on this laptop unless a GUI fix is available.

49 minutes ago, davei1 said:

On the old laptop I have a distorted and unusable GUI display. I can't even click on anything as it does not correspond

Please follow the directions from the following article and post back the requested logs and we'll review to assist you.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2396

Thank you

Greetings,

You appear to have Kaspersky installed on this system along with Malwarebytes.  The latest build of Kaspersky is known to have issues with Malwarebytes Premium when installed together.  Please try disabling Kaspersky temporarily and reinstalling the latest version of Malwarebytes, then in Malwarebytes disable the Ransomware Protection component as this is the protection component in Malwarebytes that the latest version of Kaspersky conflicts with (and it also conflicts with the same protection in Malwarebytes 3.x so an older 3.x build will not resolve the issue).  Malwarebytes does not make any changes to the system's display or display drivers, so I suspect that what you are seeing is simply the result of the conflict between Malwarebytes and the latest version of Kaspersky.

I hope this helps.  Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Hello,

Please carry out the steps below to provide additional information on the issue.

RWSgid0.png
DxDiag

• Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
  • Type dxdiag and click OK.
  • Wait for the window the open. It may take ~30 seconds.
  • Once opened, click Save all information.
  • Save the file to your Desktop and attach it in your next reply.

hAwS9EV.png Export System Information

• Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
  • Type msinfo32 and click OK.
  • A new window will open. Click File followed by Save.
  • Give the file a name, select your Desktop as the location and click Save.
  • Right-click the hAwS9EV.png .nfo file on your Desktop and click Send to followed by Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Please attach the FET8HjG.png Zip file in your next reply.

LiquidTension,

Files provided below. As I remember there was a similar problem with one of the early 3.x versions as well...

ALL Exclusions for Kaspersky are already in place. The MB 4.x version is running fine. It's just that I need to

change my video driver to the Microsoft Standard Display driver in order to use MB 4.x. Which has horrible resolution

for using anything else.

Here are my Kaspersky exclusions for MB.

KasperskyMBExclusions.JPG

DxDiag.txt sysinfo.zip

7 hours ago, exile360 said:

I have MB and Kaspersky running on ALL NINE of my computers. Only this very old laptop using an old display driver has a problem. If I switch to the MICROSOFT Display driver I am able to use MB 4.04 without issue. NO I am not going to resinstall everything. There is a conflict between the new MB 4.04 and my old NV110M video driver. here are the exclusions I have for MB in my Kaspersky setup that is the SAME for ALL NINE of my comptuers.

Gdrreetings,

You appear to have Kaspersky installed on this system along with Malwarebytes.  The latest build of Kaspersky is known to have issues with Malwarebytes Premium when installed together.  Please try disabling Kaspersky temporarily and reinstalling the latest version of Malwarebytes, then in Malwarebytes disable the Ransomware Protection component as this is the protection component in Malwarebytes that the latest version of Kaspersky conflicts with (and it also conflicts with the same protection in Malwarebytes 3.x so an older 3.x build will not resolve the issue).  Malwarebytes does not make any changes to the system's display or display drivers, so I suspect that what you are seeing is simply the result of the conflict between Malwarebytes and the latest version of Kaspersky.

I hope this helps.  Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

KasperskyMBExclusions.JPG

Attached is a .jpg of the completed scan on the Old Laptop with the video driver problem. As you can see the scan ran without a problem. In order to take this .jpg capture I had to switch to the MS Standard Display driver as MB 4.04 could not be used (interface would not respond) with the NVS110M driver.  Scan ran fine on all NINE of my computers that has Kaspersky and Malwarebytes 4.04 in place. All computers are windows 10 32-bit (1809 or 1909 as I am in the process of upgrading them)...The troubled Dell Laptop still is on 1809.

Screenshot is from the trobled DELL Laptop using the MS Standard Display Driver.

WorksFinewithMSDriver.JPG

Just FYI, exclusions do not resolve the conflict with Kaspersky.  Please refer to this post by LiquidTension for further details.  I am not saying that it is the cause of the issue you are experiencing, however it is possible as it is known to cause problems with several applications, and your current display driver may be one of them which would explain this behavior.  With that said, if you do not have patch 'e' of Kaspersky 2020 (their latest release) then you should not be impacted by the incompatibility.

Not a bad policy.  Yes, you shouldn't have to worry about the recent conflict between the two products then.

Have you checked NVIDIA's website for a newer version of the driver for your GPU?  I know that they do stop issuing drivers for some older products, but hopefully yours is one of the cards they still support in their latest releases (they do tend to support Quadro/professional cards longer than their GeForce/consumer/gaming cards).  If you haven't checked yet, their site can be found here.  You just have to select the card's series (Quadro), the type (notebook), the model/chipset of the card and your operating system and it should offer you the latest driver available for that device for your OS that they have available.

This laptop is very old. (Core2 T7200). NV110M Video card.

It doesn't do anything but run my weather station software 24/7 365 days a year and upload to various weather sites.

It's been doing that since 2011 (It was used when I bought it)...

This version of driver hasn't been available for years. (I checked the NVidia website and they don't even list it on what you sent)...

It works fine under Windows 10 and gives me a 1440x 900 display. With the MS Standard driver it is at a much lower resolution (Horrible).

I am working with MB Support direct now and uploaded directly via tool to them. I will hold off for a while to see if there is a GUI resolution

(Maybe a switch on the command line to launch MB 4.04 without the fancy dancy graphics...If not I'll fall back to 3.x. Thanks.

There is no option to launch it with a different UI, I know that much, however hopefully they will succeed in finding a resolution to the issue.  It is an odd one to be sure.  The funny thing is, they are using the same codebase (QT) to render the UI as they did in Malwarebytes 3.x; it's just a different layout and 'skin' so to speak, but I guess there is just something about it that your GPU/drivers don't like.

Oh well, I hope they are able to figure this out and get it fixed for you either way.

Edited by exile360

Hi @davei1,

This is likely caused by the hardware acceleration changes we made to the Malwarebytes version 4 UI.

Could you try setting a couple of QT environment variables and check if the issue still occurs or not?

To set the environment variables, ensure the Malwarebytes UI is closed and run the following batch file as administrator: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/hbxc3vcb8spn2dv6qvnrrtumvrb8iv36

• "SUCCESS: Specified value was saved." should be outputted twice.
  • After running the batch file, check if the Malwarebytes UI will open normally.
  • If it doesn't, reboot and check again.

BINGO!!!

Shutdown MB, Ran batch as administrator, Got Two Success statements.

Opened MB and immediately it was working as normal.

I did a reboot just to make sure after a reboot the fix was still persistent, and it was.

BTW, I saw no decrease in performance between this GUI and the other installs on the other computers

after running the batch. Thank you very much for the excellent tech. support.

Fixed!!.JPG

P.S.

I had another old ACER laptop with a ATI Radeon Mobile X1600 (Just updated to Win10 1909 yesterday)...

That laptop did not have the GUI issue that the Dell Laptop did but it did have a problem with the spinning wheel not displaying

correctly (Was more of a solid wheel) when it was scanning...I ran the batch file on that laptop and it corrected the

spinning wheel issue and now that is displaying correctly.

OK...thanks.

For some reason...This morning for my normal 11AM scheduled scan that all of my NINE systems do ALL three of the systems that I had installed the patch on (Due to video display problems in MB) took aa very long time to do their scans. One was like 90 minutes, another was over 2 hours and the original problem Dell laptop I had to actually reboot and restart it (Then it completed in about 35 minutes which was normal for it)...Not sure what happened with these three as they had been scanning without issue for the past few days...The third system that I installed the patch on was a Cherry Trail Atom processor Windows 10 tablet that I encountered an issue that if the screen went momentarily black while scanning the MB UI would go to a completely white display (This was similar to what another had encountered in this forum on a different system)...

So I actually have the patch (batch file) installed on three systems right now...

1 hour ago, LiquidTension said:

Hi @davei1,

For all of these machines, please could you provide the data from post #6 (DxDiag and Msinfo32)?
Please zip up the two files from each machine and provide them separately (zip file from machine #1, #2, etc)

As requested ...Zips from RCA Cambio W1162 Windows 10 Tablet

DxDiag.txt RCA1162.zip