• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the MTB report.   It seems to me that perhaps there are 2 different things that exist.   There was a Chrome program abort the morning of the 26th.

As to Malwarebytes for Windows program.   I suggest a new clean install.

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool. 

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I used the support tool to uninstall Malwarebytes. I had to let it run overnight, that's how long it took. The tool reinstalled Malwarebytes as it was supposed to.

I am glad you told me to be patient with it. This morning I ran a quick scan and everything worked as it  should. Scan took 3 or 4 minutes and completed.

I decided to run a full scan and it scanned 240,000+ files and then hung up at the end on "Scanning file system".

Interestingly the "Pause" and "Cancel" buttons are not greyed out. I have left the scan run because of this.

I am glad that the clean re-install run did run & finish.

By "full scan"  I take it you mean a Threat scan.

When you say hung up.....I take it you mean that is the visual judgment because the screen info does not change.

Try mouse the mouse pointer  around the screen in circular fashion.

Hello @Robert2054

Let me have you run the following procedures so that we can try to get a memory dump of what is currently going on when the program isn't working as expected.

Please note that it is currently a Holiday in the US and many workers will not be back to work until Monday. As such there will be an increased delay due to amount of new requests for support.

1. First - reboot the computer and make sure Malwarebytes 4 is not currently in a hung or frozen state. Temporarily disable any other security software and re-enable it once done.
  2. Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings -> General - and enable Event log data

image.png

3. Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings -> Security -> scroll to Windows startup and click the Advanced link and disable the self-protection module

image.png

4. Download the following Procdump.zip file: Procdump.zip from Box 
  5. Right click on procdump.zip and then choose properties
  6. In the window that pops up, click the unblock entry near the bottom and then click OK

image.png

7. Extract procdump.zip (it will create a new folder)
  8. Run Malwarebytes 4 and perform the scan that is exhibiting the issue and wait until it is in the failed state
  9. Open the folder where the files were extracted from procdump.zip
  10. Right click "5 - mbamservice_memory" and select Run as administrator 
  11. Wait 10-30 seconds and then the black window should go away
  12. There should be a new file in the folder that ends with .dmp (How to show file extensions in Windows 10)
  13. Right click the DMP file and choose Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
  14. Reply with the dump file attached to your post
  15. Run the MBST tool again and grab a new set of logs and post those back as well - Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs manually 
  16. Let us know what type of scan was run (Threat vs Custom, scheduled vs manual) 
  17. Disable the Event log data from Step 2 at this time

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

Right now malwarebytes is still trying to run the threat scan from last night (2:07am)

I cannot stop it because the buttons (cancel and pause) are greyed out.

My only recourse is to quit Malwarebytes to stop it.

This what happenseverytimeI run a threat scan. Only once didit let run a quickscan after uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes.

That scan finished, but a normal threat scan wentthrough allof the steps  (Check for updates, Scan Memory, Scan Start up items, Scan registry) but when it got to scanning file systen, it just sat there with the little blue circle spinning around for hours and hours. 

During that scan, the Pause and Cancel buttonswere not greyed out, so after five hours, I canceledthe scan. Malewarebytes then acted as if the scan finished normally but the computer was still slow and I got page unresponsive pop ups. The next scheduled scan spent several hours checking for updates. That is when I quit malewarebytes to free up my computer.After I quit Malewarebytes, my system runs as before (much quicker and no page unresponsive errors) but I do not think I have threat protection at that point. If I restart my computer, Malwarebytes resets and  will start another threat scan which starts the processall over again.

I may set Malewarebytes to scan once a week.

I have opened Malwarebytes and made the changes to the settings as directed (Enabled collect log data and disabled self protection mode)

I downloaded Procdump.zip, extracted it, right clicked as admin and made the changes to unblock. I ran "5 - mbamservice_memory  as admin and waited for the .cmd window to resolve.

I then went to the procdump folder and ther is no .dmp file to be found. I did a seach of the computer withfile explorer and found 31 .dmp files, but none were from today, they were all weeks old. Meanwhile Malewarebytes manual threat scan has been checking for updates for 33 minutes.

I redownloaded the Procdump file and redid the instructions exactly. When  I ran "5 - mbamservice_memory it showed two black windows that dissapeared and then there was no file in the procdump folder with the .dmp extension. I checked the .zip folder to be sure it wasn't there and also did a computer search  for *.dmp. It found 31 .dmp files, but none  from within the last month.

image.thumb.png.1e372095cf96d4d691f2f2843221cfd1.png

Thank you @Robert2054

I will look at retesting the procedure and see if I can determine why it did not run correctly for you. In the meantime, can you please try adding the following exclusions to Malwarebytes

Can you please add exclusions for the following folders.

%programdata%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader
%systemroot%\system32\config

If you need help on doing that please let me know.

Then run a new scan and let me know if there are any issues with the scan.

Thank you again

Within the program. Though I've had a couple others try that have a similar issue and it looks like that did not help them either. I'm working on updating the instructions though as it looks like the memory dump is not working as it's supposed to. I'll try to get back to you tomorrow if all goes well.

Thank you for hanging in there with us while we try to figure out what's going on.

Hi Robert, sorry for the delay.

I finished building a new Windows 10 test box and ran the test on my system. It looks like I provided an older method that no longer works on the 4.x version and Windows 10. I'm working with our internal team to update a newer process method that will run for us.

Hi @Robert2054

We were able to get logs from other users and so far we're unable to determine what is causing this issue and are not able to replicate it internally so far.

You may wish to revert back to the 3.8.3 version while we continue to analyze what is causing this issue.

The current KB articles will help you to set version 3.x from updating to 4.x for now

Constant upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows v3
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2465

Turn off upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows v3
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2142

MB3.x download link
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3-windows-legacy

Thank you

Hello @Robert2054

If you can hold off on the 3.x install and try the following beta I would appreciate it.

We have released a new CU2 beta update that does address several issues. Can you please temporarily disable all other security software.

Then set Malwarebytes 4 to download beta versions. Then check for updates, it should update, then reboot the computer and try a scan and let me know if that corrects the issue or not.

image.png

After the update you should have the following or newer updates.

image.png

Thank you

Okay, not sure what your download speed is but it is probably about a 150MB update and it does have to shut down some services on the current one and then update. Once done it may not force a restart of the computer but please do restart the computer again once it's done.

Make sure no other security software is blocking it as well. It did take one of my systems a little while to update as well.