Is there a difference between manual dowmloading and ust clicking the link?

I dont want to mess this up

1 minute ago, Robert2054 said:

I uploaded my .zip file, did anyone get a chance to look at it?

Lets "tag" @AdvancedSetup

Hi @Robert2054

I'm sorry, I've been out sick all day. I did download it and take a look but just wasn't feeling well and went to bed before replying. Let me have another look and get back to you.

Okay so I am unable to locate an issue that would account for this behavior. Can you please restart the computer into Safe Mode and then open Malwarebytes and run a new scan and let me know if that one runs faster and completes or not. Windows Safe Mode does not have caching and other features running that improve computer speed so the scan may take a little longer than normal to run but certainly should not be an hour or more.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Let me know your results

Cheers

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup
typo correction

Yes, I can do this, but I only have about 20 mins before I have to leave to catch the train for jury duty (over soon I hope)

So I may do this after I get home this evening. I will reply with results.

Thanks

The scan ran in safe mode for 12 hours. it almost finished, but hung up on scanning files. I took a screen shot, but when I restarted the computer back into a mode where I had network access it cleared the screen shot.

The two buttons at the bottom of the scan (Pause and Cancel) were not greyed out and it allowed me to cancel the scan after the tweleve hours, and whenI did it tookme to a screen the looked like a summary of the scan, almost as ifthe scan wentoffwithout problems.

Hello Robert.

The Malwarebytes for Windows on this pc has the default setting ON to scan archives   ( zip files / RAR files).  Let me ask this:  Does this machine have a very large number of ZIP files stored ?    and are they relatively static  ?   If the answer is Yes, you should consider setting the "scan archives" to Off.

A second suggestion for consideration:  Set the Scan task to have the higher priority.   Start Malwarebytes.  Click the Settings icon.

Look on the General tab.    Look at "Manual scan performance impact"

and  click to ON   for the line "Manual scans take priority over other applications"

If you would check on that, it would be good.  I believe yours is already with that selection.  Just worth re-checking.

Ihave set "Scan within archives" to Off

I have clicked on forManual scans take priority over other applications.

Iwillnow try to run a scan

After making all of those changes above, the scan still hangs up at Checking for Updates and the two buttons ( pause and cancel) are greyed out.

You already have the Malwarebytes support tool.   Lets get a fresh report.

open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support-1.5.3.749.exe  to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

Hi Robert.

Thanks for the report.   There was a website block while Chrome was in use on the 23rd, about search.myprivate-search.com

Lets do what follows.

[   1   ]

Use Chrome   to go to https://www.google.com/settings/chrome/sync and sign into your account.
Scroll down until you see the "reset sync" button and click on the button
At the prompt click on "Ok".

[    2    ]

for Chrome, while Chrome is running:
Press & hold SHIFT+CTRL+Del keys  on keyboard to get menu for clearing browsing data:

Check mark the line  "Browsing history"

Check mark the line "Download history"

Check mark the lined "Cached images and files"
and press Clear Data button  ( in blue )

[   3   ]

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Version 7.4 of Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

I  encourage you to take a look at the announcement blogpost to learn more this new detection category: https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2019/07/your-device,-your-choice:-adwcleaner-now-detects-preinstalled-software/.

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Hello Robert.

The result of the Adwcleaner run is perfect.   How is the original issue at this point?

The original problem of page unresponsive issues still exists. If I quit Malwarebytes everything runs just fine.

Just exactly which one of the web browsers was it that had this last "inresponsive"  message from Windows?   That is a most important bit of detail always needed.

Was there more than one web browser open  at that time?

Now then, this pc runs Windows 10.   Please use the EDGE browser   and lets check out how that one does.

also,

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Reply YES when prompted by Windows to Allow the program to run.

Reply YES when prompted by the tool to proceed.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log

Click Go and post the result ( MTB.txt ). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I have opened and amusing the edge browser, but I have to quit Malwarebytes in order for my computer to run.

The problem seems to be when the Malewarebytes tries to run a scan (every night at 2:07 am) it will hang up the computer from then going forward.

I cannot stop the scan because the pause and cancel buttons are greyed out. My only choice is to quit Malwarebytes (which immediately makes the system run as before).