jmanchand

Malwarebytes v4.0 problem

After installing the new v4.0 version of Malwarebytes Premium, it seems regardless of whether I choose the setting to always register in Windows Security Center or not, that only manual scans seem to work!? When ever I try and set up a scheduled scan, nothing happens at all? No scan, no reports, nothing!?

I read in another post, that someone had a similar problem, and the only time everything works as normal for this person, is when you disable Malwarebytes real time protection (kind of defeats the object of the program I'd say!). But in my case, this also applies.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

16 minutes ago, jmanchand said:

After installing the new v4.0 version of Malwarebytes Premium, it seems regardless of whether I choose the setting to always register in Windows Security Center or not, that only manual scans seem to work!? When ever I try and set up a scheduled scan, nothing happens at all? No scan, no reports, nothing!?

I read in another post, that someone had a similar problem, and the only time everything works as normal for this person, is when you disable Malwarebytes real time protection (kind of defeats the object of the program I'd say!). But in my case, this also applies.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Just so you know, I have Uninstalled and reinstalled, and used the Support Tool to try and repair, all to no avail! The same problem still exists.

I have used the Repair Tool to include the mbst-grab-results.zip.

Regards.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi. 

Thanks for the report.  This system runs on Windows 10.   There is no need to register Malwarebytes with Windows Security Center.   Registration is currently set to Off.   That is fine.

It appears that you have 2 scheduled automated scans set.    You want to delete one of them & also, to set a proper date  ( like today)  for the next run.

Start Malwarebytes.

Click the body of the SCANNER pane  on the main page.

Then click on the Scan Scheduler tab.   Look things over.   Delete one of the 2 tasks.

p.s.   If you are needing 1 weekly scan &  one daily scan,  then look closely at the Daily scan  &  update the next scan date for today.

and change the Recover by to the default    if missed, scan at next opportunity.

Scheduled Scan List Settings:
    Last Triggered:        2019-11-08 19:36:00
    Original Schedule:     2019-11-08 12:00:00
    Recovery Enabled:      ON
    Recover if missed by:  -1 hours
    Occurs every:          1 days

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hi Maurice Naggar, I don't have Malwarebytes registered in the Security Center, so that part is fine! I just deleted my scheduled weekly scan, and edited my daily scan to run, but again, no joy unfortunately! Like I said in my previous post, if I disble the real time Malware Protection, then everything works exactly as it should?? This also goes for checking for updates manually, if Malware protection is on, then when I try to manually check for updates, nothing!? As soon as I disable Malware Protection, bam, it works!?

Regards.

You report updating the scan task properly.

WE want the real time protections ON.

Do that too.

Then do a Shutdown >>  Restart   and wait a bit for Windows to settle back in.   Patience is called for here.

Having looked more closely  at your reports,  there is a real need to do a new clean re-install of Malwarebytes for Windows.

Then after that is done,  take a new look on the program.

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool. 

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

We want to keep all Malwarebytes protection ON.   And take a look at the Scheduled Scan task now.   You want to recheck the Next run date  & you also want to set the start Hour at a realistic time of day  ( like 30 minutes after your usual  fresh-start of Windows).

You say there is a real need to do a clean re-install of Malwarebytes for Windows!? As I've already mentioned in my second previous post, I have already done "two" re-installations, and this problem still exists!?

but did you use the Support tool for that?

Yes, I highly urge you to do the run as outlined ....even if you did it before.    Then we can take it from there.

There appeared to be a issue with the anti-exploit driver.

2 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

but did you use the Support tool for that?

Yes, I highly urge you to do the run as outlined ....even if you did it before.    Then we can take it from there.

There appeared to be a issue with the anti-exploit driver.

Yes I did use the Support Tool to re-install, and I did a clean uninstall/install also! I will do this again, but unfortunately it will have to be tommorow, as it is pretty late here in the UK!

Regards.

Right, sorry for the delay, I've been away for the weekend!

So I've just completed a repair using the Support Too and no change whatsoever! So then I performe a complete Uninstall/Re-Install, and hey presto everything starts working as it should 👍😉(ie: Scan Schedules, manual checking for updates!). So I start going through the settings to set up as I had before, I get to the "Notifications Menu/Play Mode (Hide notifications when selected apps are in full screen)", and add Windows Media Player as I had done before, no problem! I then proceed to add "Films & TV" (Windows App for viewing Videos, Photos etc!) like I had done previously also, BAM!! As soon as I add Films & TV exe (located in hidden WindowsApps folder!) Malwarebytes crashes/disappears!? I get it back up & running, delete the added Films & TV from the Notifications Menu/Play Mode menu, restart Malwarebytes, and everything is working fine again!? I've also tried this with my "Skype" app, which is also a hidden file/exe in the WindowsApps folder!

Conclusion: Obviously when I add an App which is a Windows App, from the Hidden "WindowsApps" folder situated in my "Program Files", Malwarebytes crashes & shows the symptons Ive explained from the outset!! Any workaround for this problem?? This behaviour never happened in the previous build/version (v3) of Malwarebytes Premium!?

Regards.

4 minutes ago, jmanchand said:

Right, sorry for the delay, I've been away for the weekend!

So I've just completed a repair using the Support Tool and no change whatsoever! So then I perform a complete Uninstall/Re-Install, and hey presto everything starts working as it should 👍😉(ie: Scan Schedules, manual checking for updates!). So I start going through the settings to set up as I had before, I get to the "Notifications Menu/Play Mode (Hide notifications when selected apps are in full screen)", and add Windows Media Player as I had done before, no problem! I then proceed to add "Films & TV" (Windows App for viewing Videos, Photos etc!) like I had done previously also, BAM!! As soon as I add Films & TV exe (located in hidden WindowsApps folder!) Malwarebytes crashes/disappears!? I get it back up & running, delete the added Films & TV from the Notifications Menu/Play Mode menu, restart Malwarebytes, and everything is working fine again!? I've also tried this with my "Skype" app, which is also a hidden file/exe in the WindowsApps folder!

Conclusion: Obviously when I add an App which is a Windows App, from the Hidden "WindowsApps" folder situated in my "Program Files", Malwarebytes crashes & shows the symptons Ive explained from the outset!! Any workaround for this problem?? This behaviour never happened in the previous build/version (v3) of Malwarebytes Premium!?

Regards.

Sorry, I wanted to edit some grammar & ended up quoting instead!? (no option for editing after posting?)

I don't understand how simply adding a Windows App to notifications play mode, would stop Malwarebytes from performing scheduled scans, and manually checking for program updates??

I just thought I'd add, that I also added the app "Kodi" (films and tv streaming app!), which is also located (installed) in the hidden WindowsApps folder within Program Files, and that never resulted in Malwarebytes crashing & not working the way it should? So how is that? Skype never came with Windows, and that crashes when added??

Regards.

Hi @jmanchand,

Have you adjusted the defect permissions/ownership set on %programfiles%\WindowsApps? The folder is not accessible by default.

After you click the Browse button to add an item to Play Mode, what are you doing next? Please provide as detailed steps as possible.

-----

Could you do the following please.

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Click Settings and turn the Event log data setting on.
  • Please download enable_crash_dumps.bat using the link below.
    https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/eug9gmk7i1xqeugb0xobjlqcsfb4uv1e
  • Open your Downloads folder.
  • Right-click CX41PDv.png enable_crash_dumps.bat and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the file.
  • Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  • A Command Prompt window will appear. Upon completion, press any key to exit.

Afterwards, please reproduce the Malwarebytes crash. Once done:

• Wait at least 1 minute. Press the Windows Key NfsK8XE.png + R on your keyboard at the same time.
  • Copy %localappdata% and paste into the Run box. Click OK.
  • A folder will open.
  • You should see a CrashDumps folder.
  • Zip this up (right-click -> Send to -> Compressed (zipped) folder), upload it to a file hosting service of your choice and provide a download link.

Please gather logs with the Malwarebytes Support Tool as well and attach the generated mbst-grab-results.zip:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253450-malwarebytes-v40-problem/?do=findComment&comment=1344045

Hi LiquidTension,

Yes you are correct, in the fact that I "have" to change the owner of the WindowsApps folder to myself, in order to have access to add "Films & TV & Skype" apps to Play mode, and yes you are correct in the fact that the folder is inaccessible otherwise!

As soon as I add either app (Films & TV or Skype), Malwarebytes just vcrashes out to the Taskbar Tray, and when I open it, I go to settings and click the "Check for u[pdates" button! If nothing happens then I know that I cannot click that button anymore to manually check for updates, and also I know that when I set a Scheduled Scan, it will not happen!? I have to delete the added app & then quit Malwarebytes and reopen Malwarebytes for ti to operate as it should again! So basically, the first thing that happens when I add "Films & TV or Skype" to Play Mode is Malwarebytes crashes out!! I've tried this with the "Kodi" app also (also within the WindowsApps folder!) which is a streaming app, and that doesn't crash Malwarebytes, so I'm not really sure what's going on here!?

The link to the CrasDumps file is here: https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/832158/CrashDumps.zip

And I've included a Malwarebytes Support Tool mbst-grab-results.zip as requested!

Regards.

mbst-grab-results.zip

I use Films & TV for viewng films/photos all the time, It's included with Windows 10, so therefore this is a problem for me if I cannot add this application to stop Malwarebytes notifications whils in full screen mode watching a film etc!?

Regards.

Thanks for the information. We haven't been able to reproduce this issue yet.
What are some of the full file paths for files you're attempting to add to Play Mode?

Unfortunately, there's no dump file for mbam.exe in the upload. Could you try the following please:

1. Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings -> Security.
  2. Under Windows Startup, click Advanced and disable the Self-Protection module.
  3. Download the following Procdump.zip file: Procdump.zip
  4. Right click on Procdump.zip and click properties.
  5. Uncheck Unblock and click OK.
  6. Extract the Procdump.zip file.
  7. Open the folder where the files were extracted.
  8. Right click 1 - mbam_crash.bat and select Run as administrator.
  9. Reproduce the UI crash.
  10. Once the crash happens, the black window should disappear and a new DMP file should be found in the folder.
  11. Right-click the DMP file and click Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder.
  12. Reply with the dump file.

-----

Also, please carry out the steps below:

• Please download FRST64: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1318
  • Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file from this post.
  • Ensure the file is saved in the same location as FRST64.exe.
  • Right-click xlK5Hdb.png FRST64.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator to run the program.
  • Click the Fix button (not the Scan button).
  • A log named UdawJ7P.png Fixlog.txt will be saved in the same location as the other files.
  • Please attach the log in your next reply.

Fixlist.txt

The Films & TV full file path is (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.ZuneVideo_10.19072.18011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Video.UI.exe)

And the Skype full file path is (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SkypeApp_14.53.85.0_x64__kzf8qxf38zg5c\SkypeApp.exe)

I reproduced the UI crash by adding Films & TV to Play Mode, and uploaded the procdump.zip as requested.

I also downloaded FRST64, but the Fixlist.txt you've posted says unavailable!?

Regards.

procdump.zip

When I click your Fixlist.txt, this is what it reads:

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

•  

Regards.