I seem to have a number of issues with my Windows 10 computer  - 

The mouse cursor randomly judders around the screen to the extent I cannot direct it to anywhere or use it. The battery is ok in the mouse and Windows tells me I have the best drivers for it.

Windows 10 is suddenly today asking me to use a password to sign in - I have never done this. So using my phone I accessed my email and set up a password for the computer. I have then googled how not to have to use it and seen that by typing in netplwiz I can opt not to use the password - however - this does not help as the box is already unchecked for me as user.

Windows Edge has become unreliable and especially if I try and load certain banking websites - the pages simply do not load. So I then try to use Google Chrome - but the computer cannot open Google Chrome when Edge has crashed. I then cannot shut down the computer at all or restart it - so have to switch off at the mains.

Start up and shut down of the computer are slow.

I often hear lots of things going on in the background - but am not sure what they are of if they are essential. I know of Kaspersky and Malwarebytes running.

Malwarebyte and Kaspersky are not reporting finding any issues.

I would sure appreciate some help with this.

thank you

Hi Bluegiraffe.

You do not mention the version of Kaspersky  on this system.   Please do see what LiquidTension wrote about Kaspersky & Malwarebytes.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253165-malwarebytes-not-working-any-more-with-kis-200141085-e/?do=findComment&comment=1343422

And be very aware that Kaspersky's SAFE MONEY module does  the first interception when you first bring up a banking site.   Keep that in mind.

As to Malwarebytes and any program you are having issue with,  add the EXE file of the program as an exception in Malwarebytes.

You may want to do that for Chrome and Edge.

See the cited link above  for tip on how to make exclusions in Malwarebytes.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

One additional thing you might check, specifically with regards to the mouse cursor behavior is that if it is a Bluetooth device, make certain you have the latest Bluetooth drivers installed.  Sometimes Bluetooth can be very spotty unfortunately, but hopefully updating the drivers fixes it.  The latest drivers should be available from your system manufacturer's website, but if you can't find them let us know and provide the company name for the system maker as well as the model number and we will help you to track them down.

Thanks for the replies. I’ll post back tomorrow when I’m back home to work thru them. Does anyone know why I now have to sign in to my computer with a password when I never did before and how I can stop that? Also, is the clash between Kaspersky and Malwarebytes the cause of the computer being much slowed on startup up and shutdown?

thanks again.

There is not a way to know why or what is going on.   Not without reports. 

did this Windows 10 recently get a Windows build upgrade ?

Press Windows-key & hold & then tap R  key  and then type in

WINVER

Let us know the full build readout line as is.

What is the version of Kaspersky that you have ?      name & full version number

Microsoft Windows Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.805)

Kaspersky Total Security 20.0.14.1085(e)

I tried to find the Mawarebytes exe file - unfortunately I cannot open and use file explorer - it simply crashes the computer altogether. The screen goes blank for a moment, then returns my background picture minus all the icons and the blue wheel just keeps spinning. All I can do it switch off at the mains.

You might try Safe Mode.  Hopefully the system won't crash there.  It's worth a try at least.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Posting now from my phone. .. Computer just freezes if I try to get into Safe mode. 

The only thing thing I did recently was install a new version of Microsoft Office so I wonder if this has killed the computer. I'm using CCleaner to uninstall it as a further issue is Outlook wont load at all and gives an error  message which says something about how I need to connect to Exchange at least once. I have no idea what this means.

Ccleaner is now stuck on step 3 or 4 removing Office. 

As for mouse drivers, the unhelpful HP site does not list my mouse - model number MG-1451

Bluegiraffe,

The version of Kaspersky your pc has IS  a problematic one.  I firmly believe it is why you experienced issues with web browsers   ( especially banking sites).

For the time being, I would strongly urge you to uninstall Kaspersky.    ( later on, if you still want it, get hold of a earlier version of it.....just hold off on that for now.)

BY the way, with all the trouble you have experienced, I would suggest you set Kaspersky OFF by doing this:

Go to the Taskbar.   Look for the arrow-head icon near the system clock.   Do a right click to see all hidden icons.  Look for Kaspersky   ( hover the mouse over each icon to see the title)

when you find Kaspersky, put mouse pointer over it.   Do a RIGHT-click  and choose  Exit

LOTS and lots of patience is called for in this overall situation.   How long did you wait for Safe mode ?

Study this excellent guide and see about applying this safety adjustment for Windows 10 startup
How to Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

We want to ENABLE the ability to use F8 option at system startup.

Doing that is always a good idea.

Now, about getting to SAFE mode:

Let us see if you could simply just get this machine into SAFE Mode or Safe mode With NETWORKING just so we could look around. That would be strictly temporary.
*Do unplug all devices from your computer, including: Printers, scanners, copiers, external attached devices, etc.*
*The only devices you should leave attached to your computer are your monitor, mouse and keyboard, if the computer is a desktop.*
*And if this PC is a laptop or notebook be sure it is directly connected to Power with power cord.*

Turn off your pc. Wait about a minute.
Restart your pc. And right away, tap & re-tap the F8 Function-key on your keyboard. 
You should see Windows Advanced Options menu.
Select Safe Mode    by picking it by the number listed to the left    ( when you get the screen list)  & use the number key  at the top of the keyboard

NOTE: if the F8 function key-method did not prove usable, some systems may use F5 instead. 
And on some systems you may need to press the F2 function key to get hardware boot options.

added NOTES:  As I noted, you are encouraged to have patience as you try all this.   It may take a few tries to accomplish.

Also, should it turn out Safe mode is truly not usable, we can try to do a System Restore from a Command prompt startup.    As long as there is a restore point.

Hi again and thanks for the replies. I don't know what model of computer it is. I have also now asked Microsoft for help as it seems an update 1903 will not install. Microsoft have been unhelpful to say the least so I've given up with them and the computer for now as I'm working nights and having to post from my phone.

I will work thru Maurices reply when I get chance. 

Just a further update - I have now reinstalled Windows it all seems ok. It seems that the Windows update 1903 has now been installed also so everything now seems ok. I would like to reinstall Malwarebytes and Kaspersky but I am confused about these as I thought they did different things and previously they have worked for me. I had the lifetime licence for Malwarebytes and have 3 years left on Kaspersky. If they are now conflicting should I simply not use either or both?

Currently there is a conflict with the latest build of Kaspersky released recently that makes it incompatible with Malwarebytes 3 and 4.  This update to Kaspersky was released a few weeks ago and since then it has been discovered that the issue can be worked around by disabling the Ransomware Protection component in Malwarebytes.  Until the issue is fully resolved I would suggest simply keeping the Ransomware Protection component in Malwarebytes disabled or rolling back to a previous version (before update 'e' which is the problematic release) of Kaspersky.

You may also disable notifications about protection components being disabled in Malwarebytes if you wish to not receive any alerts about having Ransomware Protection disabled.  This option can be found under settings in the Notifications tab and is called Alert me if any Real-Time Protection modules are turned off.