Malwarebytes 4 excessive scan time

I did a clean install of Malwarebytes 4.0.4.49, Package version 1.0.14582, Component package version 1.0.717

He didn't find anything but I think the time for a custom scan is too long.

It lasts 1h 28m 17s

I am attaching all the necessary logs and the scan report.

I would add that this is an Asus Notebook with Intel Core i7-7700HQ at 2.80 Ghz with 8GB Ram (2 x 4GB) and a 240GB Kingston SSD SUV400S37240G,
31 of which employed.

With the latest version of Malwarebytes 3.x the same scan lasted between 42 and 49 minutes depending on the time.

I would like to understand if it is due to some problem or if it is normal, even if to read the other posts the scan times would be decreased

mb-check-results.zip mbst-grab-results.zip MWB REPORT.txt

Edited by MAXBAR1

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

It sounds pretty normal to me.  It is quite typical for custom scans to take much longer than the normal/default Threat Scans.  That said, unless you have a really good reason for scanning your entire drives, I would strongly recommend just using the default Threat Scan as it looks in all of the known places that malware likes to hide/install, including analyzing all loading points/startup entries as well as all processes running in memory, so if any threats are active on the system, even if they are running from an unusual location or a different drive, they should still be detected.

In the meantime, you could try a clean install to see if that helps at all:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

I hope this helps, and please let us know how it goes if you decide to do the clean install to see if that helps your custom scan times.

Thanks

I will certainly make this attempt.
I use the complete custom scan only when I install something new and specifically to check the scan times.
I found it only strange to go from an average of 45 minutes with MWB 3 to 1.5 hours with MWB 4.

Thanks for the moment, I'll keep you updated

@exile360  I ran the clean installation as you suggested
However, between the removal and the reinstallation I have performed the repairs of WMI, BFE, RpcSs, Windows Firewall proposed by the support tool with the respective four reboots and then I reinstalled MWB 4.
Result the scan is 1h 31m 21s against the previous one which lasted 1h 28m 17s. So the situation got slightly worse

I attach a new, post-reinstallation and scanning, log

mbst-grab-results.zip

Tested default threat scan now, it's very fast: 1m 3s. I think that from now on I will do just that.

Edited by MAXBAR1
Added Default Threat scan time

Yes, those custom scans really are slow.  Like I mentioned, Malwarebytes is really optimized for performance and detection with the Threat scan.  In fact, I never run Custom scans at all on my system, ever.  I only do Threat scans.  And keep in mind this is coming from a person who is so paranoid that I will occasionally run 2 or 3 of the free AV scanners just to double-check that there are no threats on my system anywhere (and they've never found anything, of course; I'm just paranoid so I like to make sure).

Anyway, if there's anything else we can help you with please let us know.

Thanks

It remains to understand why instead on a Dell notebook with Intel Core i3-5005U 2.00Ghz CPU, also with 8GB Ram and SSD Samsung 840 240GB, whose power has been largely reduced because, unlike the Asus, has received all microcode updates for all the vulnerabilities of the CPUs discovered in 2018 (Spectre, Meltdown, Foreshadow, etc.) the scan configured exactly in the same way lasted only 39m 43s.
The operating system installed is in both Win 10 LTSC 2019; only difference on the Dell is heavily reduced by components that I thought useless / dangerous that I deleted directly from the ISO).

Strangely, on the Dell the Default Threats Scan that lasts 2m 54s: therefore it lasts longer

Thanks to those who will be able to help me understand

Edited by MAXBAR1
Added Default Threat scan time

There are a lot of variables when it comes to scan times.  Anything from the number of files to the size and types of files and folders being scanned as well as processes running in the background and of course the hardware that it is being run on.  All your scan times sound pretty normal to me.  Of course the fact that the faster system has a Samsung SSD is likely also a factor as Samsung is known to have some of the fastest SSDs in the world at the moment.  That would be very likely to impact scan times.